“Very good in places nothing special in others”

Bolton Whites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed here last night. Bed comfortable. The room just like a Holiday Inn perhaps a little smaller, would have expected a table and chair to work at for a 4 star hotel.

Sound proofing between rooms poor. Television I could only get a few channels would have thought that they would have all the free channels? Couldn't get the radio to work. Showed radio 2 but wouldn't play. That would have seriously annoyed me if I hadn't been able to get it on the IPad! Back was missing from the remote to the TV so had to keep pressing the batteries in to make the very old telly work. Silly little things but not what one expects in a 4 star hotel.

Room very clean. Hot though with no air conditioning wouldn't like to be there in the Summer? Large window but over looked the car park so imagine it would be noisy if you did that.

Food was excellent really good value but I'm used to London prices but £20 for two courses that were superb would be impossible in London don't know about Bolton? The Front of House Manager was really polite and helpful but I was surprised that he knew nothing about the menu. For example he didn't know what the sauce round the salmon was without looking back at the menu and didn't know if one of the mains came with potatoes he had to check. Would have expected him to know the menus inside out, it was far from extensive! Ate too much so only had a croissant for breakfast! But looked excellent if you wanted a cooked breakfast.

Staff all very nice and polite.

Booked two spa treatments and these were cancelled at very short notice. Therapist's son rushed to hospital so understandably unavoidable. Very disappointed though that there was no one to cover especially as other half's treat!

Stayed: April 2014
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. All televisions in the bedrooms are going to be replaced in the very near future. I must apologise that your radio wasn't working I can appreciate your annoyance. I will forward your comments onto the Housekeeping Team with regards to the back being missing on your television remote.

I was however pleased to read that you enjoyed your food, I will forward your comments onto Mr Heathcote who I am sure will be as pleased as I am.

Once again, thank you for your review, I do hope to welcome you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the very near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,296)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

I am currently at the start of a week long stay and within 24 hrs have already noticed how attentive and helpful the staff are. Not just those who are managers either. I have stayed at other hotels where staff appear strained to be helpful, but these guys are more relaxed and genuine. Who ever employes, trains and manages them has done a great job, well done!

The food is really good too! Most important to know. Meals are better than their menu description. :-)

The rooms are very clean and well looked after, guess that is another reflection on staff who look after them. Could I suggest an option of lower tog duvets as I was so warm last night? Rooms are not modern, but comfortable with good tea/coffee facilities. I am a fussy bugger when it comes to beds and this one was great with mattress firm, but comfortable A useful bonus was that the room had an iron and ironing board. Not sure if they all do!

My room was one away from the bar with a door that must open and close when people enter my corridor, but am not disturbed at all. Do hear the odd thud around the place, but not an issue.

On the down side the tv only had a few channels and was old CRT type, not what we come to expect in this day and age, but was adequate. Am I the only person who thinks a radio/clock would be good in a hotel room too?

So well done Bolton Whites a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I firstly would like to thank you for your kind comments with regards to my staff. I will forward your comments to all staff which I am sure will act as a motivator.

It was also lovely to read that you enjoyed your food, I will forward your kind comments onto Mr Heathcote who I am sure will be as pleased as I am.

As for the televisions, these are going to be replaced in the very near future. Once again, thank you for your comments, I will forward to welcoming you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Stayed here during a confence. Room was pleasant and spacious. Some nice herbal teas included in the room tea making set.

Generally pretty quiet and peaceful but the soundproofing between rooms was not so good. Had a very giggly couple in the room next to me! If you're bothered by noise, bring your earplugs.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that you found your room pleasant and spacious. I must apologise for the disturbance you had from the couple next door, I hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Once again, thank you for your review I look forward to welcoming you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the future.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Price not too bad had a good stay and paid for breakfast which was worth every penny infact breakfast was the best part of the stay great view and can't wait too stay again lovely staff and reception was top notch

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lfc962014
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I was extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay and you enjoyed your breakfast. I will forward your kind comments onto Mr Heathcote who I am sure will be as pleased as I am. I was also pleased to read that staff were friendly.

I do hope to welcome you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Nice looking hotel from outside but room was average and dated, and looked similar to old style Holiday Inn Express rooms, food in the main restaurant was excellent and every effort was made by staff to ensure it was a good experience, which is tough when you are a lone business traveller. However the breakfast room is like a service station café, tatty furniture made it look very down market. Staff were all genuinely helpful

Room Tip: Go for pitch view rooms if you can afford it
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to read that you thought your room was dated. I was however pleased to read that you enjoyed your food. I will forward your comment to Mr Heathcote, which I am sure he will be as pleased as I am.

Wirh regards to the comment on the Breakfast service, there are plans for this area to be refurnished in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your review. I do hope to welcome you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the near future

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for our tenth anniversary weekend and it was fantastic. Clean plush hotel, good service, friendly staff. We upgraded to one of the better rooms which was a brilliant size and impressive. I hope the hotel continues to offer rooms at a reasonable rate. We didn't eat here but did use the bar. We will definitely be back. I'm only sorry we arrived too late to use the spa-when I booked the hotel in November it was in the process of changing from De Vere to Bolton Whites hotel so the website was not quite as it is now. Had I known or revisited the website we would have definitely have booked treatments as an anniversary treat. Nevertheless, it was still great. Thanks Whites Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to read that guests have enjoyed there stay. I will of course inform all staff which will act as a motivator.

Once again, thank you for your recent review, I do hope to welcome you back to Bolton Whites Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my nieces wedding. The hotel was set in a great location over looking Bolton Wanders footfall ground, which was the highlight of my husbands stay. The rooms were very clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. I would certainly recommend this hotel, and stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Anne D

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that your room was very clean, our Housekeeping team work extremely hard to have all rooms to a very high standard.