“Many positives negated by major cleaning issues”

Bolton Whites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Bolton
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We arrived to a room that hadn't been hoovered (there were crumbs and toe nails in the carpet) or wiped down. The bedside cabinet had a large amount of biscuit crumbs all over it. The rest of the room had been 'cleaned' but I'll come back to that later.

Informed the front desk & the room was hoovered, but not the crumbs. We had to complain again for that to be done.

The room itself was fine. It is looking a little dated now but it had everything you would expect. Communal areas were nice and the hotel has lots of places to eat. Location is good and parking is plentiful.

However, the standard of cleanliness in the bathroom was terrible. Despite our complaints this did not improve during our stay. It seems the cleaners are doing a quick wipe and mop & they're not spending the time cleaning the corners or giving things a scrub. I have uploaded photos of the corners in the bathroom & splatters on
the wall. I would be interested to hear whether management think it is acceptable.
I have also taken photos of the hair dryer complete with hairs from all of the rooms previous owners.

We paid £52 a night for this hotel and were not expecting luxury. However what you do expect, as a bare minimum, is a clean room. Unfortunately the De Vere Whites did not deliver this. Which is a shame as other than these issues it is a decent hotel.

We did mention our concerns upon checking out and to two members of staff during our stay.

1  Thank Lou3303
Whites1, Senior Operations Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Lou3303

Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback via Trip adviser regarding your recent stay with us at De Vere Venues Whites.

May I apologise for the late response to your comments. I have now had the opportunity of investigating your comments with the Housekeeping Manager and staff n duty on the date in question and I can confirm I have dealt with all the matters raised and may I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

May I assure you that this is not the normal level of service that we aspire to offer or are indeed renowned for and please feel free to contact myself directly should you require to discuss in more detail.

Apologies once again, I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites in the future.

Kind regards

Yours sincerely

Dave Longcake

Senior Operations Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed in this hotel quite a few times now, very handy for Manchester city,Trafford centre, and Bolton city centre. Great rooms, great breakfast, if there was any complaint at all it would be the bar prices, but these are no worse than any other hotel of similar quailty. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Whites1, General Manager at Bolton Whites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear 167Dave8,

Many thanks for leaving such fantastic feedback on Tripadvisor after having recently stayed at De Vere Venues Whites.

I am very pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and rated your stay as being first class.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future and sincerely thank-you for your continued patronage.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We took advantage of a deal to stay at this hotel, the price was excellent and we had a lovely room. We enjoyed breakfast in the morning and found the choice and food to be good. All the staff that we had dealings with were very friendly and helpful. The pool and Jacuzzi were good and quiet so had chance to swim in private. The views from the restaurant overlook the Bolton fc football pitch which is an amazing setting for dinner. There is an industrial estate nearby with a selection of shops and a very good choice of restaurants. The prices in the hotel bar were good too and we even met a celebrity footballer in the bar. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear grahamboyd,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments of Tripadvisor after having recently stayed at De Vere Venues Whites, Bolton.

I am delighted to hear that you were very happy with your stay and our facilities and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future and until then remain with.

Warm regards,

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is excellent. Good food great facilities lovely rooms and the best staff. The staff are friendly and attentive without being overbearing thoroughly recommended. I will keep coming back. ...........................

Dear Wolves42,

Many thanks for leaving such fantastic feedback on Tripadvisor after having recently stayed with us at De Vere Venues Whites, Bolton.

I am delighted that you found the hotel to be one of the best you have stayed in with excellent staff, good food, great facilities, lovely rooms and the best staff who are friendly and attentive without being overbearing.

We look forward to keeping on welcoming you back!!

Many thanks once again.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Overall this was a great stay, and good value for money. I stayed here with my other half as we were going to go ape which was nearby the next day. I purchased the Love Sunday Special offer which included dinner, bed and breakfast which was only £30 more than the price of a double room. Considering breakfast for 2 would have been about £21 you couldn't beat it. (you can only get this deal on their actual website)
After settling in to our clean spacious room with a huge bed, we went and used the pool jacuzzi and sauna facilities which were nice and quiet and free of charge.
Unfortunately the reflections restaurant was closed and we were told that we could only chose our meal off the bar menu, despite the restaurant having menus at a set price they still allowed us to chose any 3 courses each off the bar menu to honour their agreement of a 3 course meal at the hotel.
Although its a shame we couldn't eat in the restaurant as it overlooked the pitch (you could still go in and have a nosy) we ate in the bar and the food was beautiful, we had some lovely homemade soup of the day, a main each and some yummy chocolate melt in the middle puddings. Some of the staff in the bar didn't seem aware of what was happening with the restaurant been closed and the meal deal but overall good service and they asked if we needed a break in between courses, which we did cos they were so filling!
Breakfast was great, better than I've had at other hotels, for example there was hardly any fat on the bacon which is always a bonus!
A lovely hotel would definitely stay again

Room Tip: Id seen a few reviews saying they didn't have nice rooms, don't know I these people were bei...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TinaH2011,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Tripadvisor after having recently stayed at De Vere Venues Whites, Bolton.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us.

I apologise in that our Reflections Restaurant was closed on the evening that you chose to dine with us and that you then had to avail of your meal in the Pure Bar wherein you found the food to be beautiful, with lovely homemade soup of the day, a main each and some yummy chocolate melt in the middle puddings and that the service was also very good and my team enquired if you needed a break in between courses as they were so filling!

I note that you also enjoyed your breakfast, finding it to be better than other hotels that you have previously stayed in.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites, Bolton in the very near future and until then remain with.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We LOVED this place!!!!!!!!

Got a really good weekend rate and travelled only a few miles from Manchester, but loved the experience.

This hotel is beautiful.. we walked in and said "WOW".. the reception area is magnificent, the staff checked us in efficiently and all was good!

The room was excellent, everything we needed, plus and comfortable.

Before going out for the evening we did a walk around the hotel and ventured into the restaurant... well... it is amazing, overlooking the football ground, views were breathtaking.

We had a brilliant night out on the complex next door, we went shopping, then bowling and then had a good evening at a nice Chinese restaurant.

We went back to the hotel and had drinks in the fantastic bar before going back to the room for the night.

Yes... this is Bolton.... but yes............ it was BRILLIANT !!!

Go and see it for yourselves!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Dear davey102001,

Thank-you for the amazing feedback which you kindly left on Tripadvisor.

I am thrilled to note that you absolutely loved your experience with us and found the hotel to be beautiful.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites in the very near future and until then remain with.

Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Handy location being a few minutes off the M61. Modern clean hotel with leisure facilities forming part of the Reebok Stadium.
We had a really nice room overlooking the football pitch.
Bar is reasonably priced as was the coffee bar £2.95 for a really nice Latte.
Wasn't the warmest of greets on check in but overall the staff were great. TV s are not great and need upgrading in my opinion. Really comfy beds though.
Modern retail shopping area a few minutes away with numerous chain restaurants to choose from.
Well worth a visit if staying in the Bolton area.

Dear Paul H,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with your very valued feedback after having recently stayed at De Vere Venues Whites, Bolton.

I am delighetd to note that you enjoyed your pitch view bedroom and that you found our beds to be very comfortable.

I can confirm that we are in the process of upgrading all of the hotels TVs to flat screen TVs, with our Penthouse Suites already having been completed with two large flat screen TVs each.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to De Vere Venues Whites in the very near future and thank-you once again for your very kind and favourable feedback.

Warm regards,

Gordon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolton
Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton
Travelodge Bolton Central River Street
Macdonald Kilhey Court

Been to Bolton Whites Hotel? Share your experiences!