“Very Interesting”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very Interesting”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Five of us went for a meal, and this was our first. The main courses were excellent, one had the Lamb, one Ribs, two Steak, one Chicken. all great. We actually ad a Chef as a meber of our party and he was impressed with the quality f the meat.
It will be addedto our list of good resteraunts

Bolton, United Kingdom
“Big portions of good quality food”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I regularly eat at retreat and am never disappointed. The food is homely, comforting and substantial. It is pleasantly consistent so when you are looking to pay good money for nice food, you know you'll get it at retreat.

Bolton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food in a great atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

As a special birthday treat, i went with my husband & 2 friends to The Retreat. The car park was compact but we managed to find a tight spot. The bar area was full but we walked straight to our table.
The service was first class & the waitress couldn't do enough for us. There was so much choice, I was spoiled. I opted for the feta cheese on a stack of roasted vegetables followed by the special of the day - chilli & rice. It was to die for!! My husband had a garlic bread followed by cod, chips & seasonal vegetables. Our friends had garlic mushrooms & a small
salad to start followed by the seabass. The presentation was excellent & it was very reasonably priced. I would definitely go again, for another special occasion.

“Curates egg”
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Good in parts. I like the Retreat, the staff and management are faultless. A good welcome.
It is with a little regret that the food wasn't up to its usual standard.
Some of our party went the pizza route. These are average and probably ok by take away standards but they appear as an odd diversion on a bistro/grill menu.
My problem on the night, was simple. I ordered fish and chips and my fish was over cooked and/ may even have been cooked from frozen. It was not great. At 3x the price of a fish and chip shop it was a smaller portion, cooked worse.
Normally I would complain on the night but to be fair the rest of our party had no issues with the other courses ordered and I didn't want to spoil the ambience of an otherwise excellent evening.
A point arises here. When staff clear the plates and see only a half eaten fish , is it not appropriate to enquire "Was everything ok with the food?"

“Better than anticipated”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

After hearing very mixed reports from a number of locals we were pleasantly surprised by Retreat. Slightly strange ambience for a lunchtime meal - but I'd guess it comes into it's own in the evenings.
There were a very limited number of less expensive lunch-type options - but those we chose were tasty and well presented.
I think they must operate the same menu throughout the day and evening - which doesn't give customers a reason to go for lunch - especially as it doesn't 'feel' like a lunchtime venue (for example there was no natural light in the section we were in).
Overall - better than expected, but no desire to return.

Visited July 2013