“Food Ok, Pricey and Poor service”
Review of Nick's Restaurant

Nick's Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 552 Restaurants in Bolton
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Booked a table for 2, turned up seated on first table to right, attached to another couples table, had get up during starter to allow others diners to leave and then stood up again to allow next couple in. (lucky not seated with a couple with weak Bladder). Food was average and pricey and veg hard and unseasoned when informed staff returned from kitchen stating nick was sorry but this is how he cooks and if we wanted any seasoning adding he could of done it for us. Maybe tell your diners this when they order. Staff not very friendly attend table only when needed, following making our issues known waiter went away, returned and cancelled £7.00 drinks order as goodwill then another waitress approached and rudely asks was everything ok. Felt from turning up that we were squeezed in and would rather have been told they could not accommodate us and I could of made alternative plans

Reviewed August 1, 2013

First visit but will go again. Very small restaurant and tables quite close together but the food was excellent.I had a top priced steak and it was the best I have had for a long time, lovely choice of vegetables. Well done Nick's.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have now visited Nicks for the passed 10years Chorley Old Road and chequerbent the passed year for lunch
We have had a celebration at Nicks Old Road before so for our Golden wedding anniversary dinner June 30th with the family we choose NICKS. There were 13 of us including 9 adults,2 teenagers and 2 children. We all had three courses and drinks. Every single one enjoyed there meal not one complaint of any sort. I would think this proves that this restaurant is the best. The service of the staff was excellant, Nick himself was great as always all very helpful, The restaurant was busy, but we all felt the service did not suffer. We had the upstairs to ourselves which was very nice like a private party .
Of course we will be back for our usual dinner for two, If you are looking for good food, excellant service and a great menu to choose from then I recoomend you go to Nicks chorley New Road.

1  Thank boltontraveller505
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have visited this restaurant a few times before and always been pretty impressed. We had had some good news so went out for a special occasion. I ordered the dearest starter(lobster tail) , dearest main(T-Bone) and a dessert. We also had two pretty expensive bottles of Pinot Noir(excellent). The lobster came out and was incredibly chewy. I know lobster is relatively chewy for a shellfish but this was ridiculous. I couldn't even bite through it.
I brought this to the attention of the waitress who apologised and took it away.I was annoyed at having to wait but when spending over £10 for a starter you expect it to be edible. I was therefore astonished when a few minutes later the same lobster dish was brought back out. The Waitress said " Nicks tasted it and that's how its meant to be served!" I told her I had eaten Lobster all around the world in 5 star restaurants and hotles and had never had as tough a piece of lobster. She said snootily "do you want another one cooking?" I told her no not if it that's how he thought it was meant to be cooked as the next one would be exactly the same. I ordered the same starter as my wifes (scollops with chorizo) as she appeared to be enjoying it.
The scollops were slammed down on the table with no apology and whilst they were better than the lobster the shells hadn't been cleaned properly and had bits of grit still in the shells. Not a pleasant experience.
My main course of T-bone was decent enough but for the rest of the meal there was a definite air of rudeness from the waiting staff due to the earlier incident. To top things off my chocolate fondant was totally undercooked. There is soft in the middle and theres raw. By this point I was past complaining and just wanted to leave. We settled the bill of around £160 for the 2 of us and left feeling pretty short changed.

I don't know if this was just a genuinely bad one off as we've enjoyed it there before or if the owners and staff have started to believe the hype about this place and have let standards slip.

We haven't been back in the last 2 months and I doubt we will again in a hurry.

For the duration of the rest of the meal we

4  Thank BoltonTerrier
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Food amazing, staff friendly and knowledgeable about the menu, would definitely return, very impressed

1  Thank BoltonKayT