“Great Club Rooms, Wonderful Bar, Easy Access.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport

Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport
Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great Club Rooms, Wonderful Bar, Easy Access.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've never been a fan of airport hotels for more than a single night, usually when passing through and making connecting flights. I had three days of business in Crawley and my clients suggested teh Crowne Plaza as it was very close to their office.

Very quick ($10 US) cab ride from Gatwick. Checked in quickly and had reserved a "Club" room. Room was spotless, huge and had all of the appointments that I would expect in a Crown Plaza property.

Bar area was ideal for enjoying a good drink and watching people. I ended most every day there in the bar for a period of time.

ONLY complaint is bar staff requires that you carry a little card around with you which you are giving at checkin to prove you are a guest. Real pain as I rarely remember to carry those things with me. Room key, room number, last name are NOT sufficent to make a bar charge...

Breakfast buffet was pretty traditional and started the morning off right.

All in all, this is a great hotel if you're doing business in teh Crawley area or just passing through town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
guestrelations4, Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your positive comments. We were very pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. I am sorry that you found it a problem with the bar staff asking for your key card wallet with your signature and room number on it, but unfortunately this has been put in place because we have found that not everyone is as honest as yourself.

I do hope that this does not deter you from booking with us again and we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Robert A Grosze Nipper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. The room was nice and clean. We also had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was delicious. The staff was very attentive and made us feel special. The experience for the staff bar was a little bit different. The bartender didn't seem to be aware of the promotions that were going on and his English was poor.
I would definitely recommend this hotel. Location very good too... Just a few minutes from gatwick. Perfect for a stopover.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
guestrelations4, Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2013

We were very pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. However, I will take up your valuable comments regarding the bar staff with my F&B Manager.

I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Nerja
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I looked at the reviews before choosing this Hotel , okay , it didnt really matter much as it was only a 1 night stop-over before a long haul flight to Singapore , but I say to myself , did I end up in a different part of this hotel from what others write about ? Anyway , it was clean and the staff were friendly , breakfast nice. I think the hotel needs a refurbishment or maybe the part I was in . We used the bus service which was 5.50gbp for 2 people 1 way , unfortunately we missed the 17.00hrs bus by 1 min or so and had to wait 50mins for the next one and it was 0 degrees , it was so so cold. I didnt have a safe in my room and there was no free wifi , which may have changed since my stay in January 2013. I booked this hotel via one of those price comparisons adverts on Tv. I think this hotel must suit people who drive and can park their car whilst they go on holiday , sounds a good deal. It appears when I was there that this hotel is a very popular place for meetings/conferences etc and the bar was really busy . The restaurant prices were expensive but then its a hotel in London . There is however a Sainsburys a 5-10mins walk away .

Room Tip: dont have one.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flamencolass

Thank you for your positive comments regarding cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. I am sorry you were unhappy about some aspects of your stay. We are always grateful for valuable feedback from our guests and I assure you that we do take it very seriously.

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

THERE ISN'T A HOT TUB!

Not a big deal but we were looking forward to it - they have placed a large permanent cover over it with a sofa and a couple of pot plants on top, so don’t expect a good hot-tubbing any time in the near future.

Positives:

Cheap room rate.
Nice room – small but modern and pleasantly furnished.
We had a nice view west looking out towards Gatwick and the planes coming and going.
Bar and public areas were quite nice.
Free parking (overnight for us)
Overall I thought the staff were fairly professional and friendly.
Pool area was pleasant but tired – the little steam room was surprisingly nice, but then the shower outside wasn’t good enough – it was a dribble so there isn’t much incentive to shower before / after the steam room.
We didn’t use the gym but did take a look – it was small but looked really quite well equipped.

Negatives:

The restaurant is ok, but the quality of the food is highly variable and not what you’d expect for the money. We ate in central London two nights previously at a really good restaurant for about the same price, so for an airport hotel they are taking advantage of lazy travellers. Wine list started near £20 per bottle and up. Starters £6.50 and up (including for soup) main courses £14 and up. Service staff tried fairly hard, but need a bit of extra training and help.
Hot tub mis-description – obviously.
The pool area is quite pleasant but was a little on the cold side – a few degrees warmer would have made it much more enjoyable.

If it wasn’t for the hot tub mis-description I might have given it a higher overall rating (yes I'm being picky but I was disappointed). For the money it was OK – what we saved on the room, they definitely got back on our dinner.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were on the top, 7th floor - it was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarcusLondon_UK

I was very sorry to read of your disappointment regarding the hot tub, but I would like to thank you for your positive comments which are always encouraging to both Staff and Management.

I do hope this does not deter you from booking to stay with us again in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was really disappointed, as normally enjoy the Crowne Plaza chain. This one was tired, and they were obviously trying to squeeze as much cost out of the product. No bread offered with evening meals (which were very expensive), GYM overcrowded with non-resident members in a cramped room which needed a good clean (and a supervisor ensuring machines not hogged), poor reception on the TV and tired room decor. I really did not enjoy the experience.

Room Tip: Facing back to avoid road noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank absg

I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience when you stayed with us. I will take your valuable comments up with the Food & Beverage and Health Club Manager. I would like to take this opportunity to assure that we have changed our TV provider and now have a much better reception in the rooms.

Spilsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time i have stayed in a crowne plaza and again i have not been disappointed.
Room was spotless; service was fantastic and the facilities were good.
We also had breakfast which was delicious and worth the price.
Will definitely use this again!

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
guestrelations4, Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport

I will pass your very encouraging comments onto the staff and management. I know they will be grateful for your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I stay in continental hotels about 3 nights per week on business, this is one of the best, as platinum member of the priority club I usually get an upgrade, last night one wasn't available but on my return today they informed me they had a club room available for the second night so I have moved.
The standard room was fine but the club room is excellent, tv tiled in above the bath and just some really good touches.
The staff are well trained and the management take a interest in the guest, the tvs have been upgraded since my last stay and it just feels a really well run operation.
To top it off the pastrami stack on the room service menu is the best sandwich you will eat this side of a New York deli. Although the chips aren't the best, I suggest French fries instead of cheap frozen ones you get.
All in all whether its business or the start of a holiday you will have few problems here and if you do have an issue it will be taken care of.
Well done crown plaza.
Scott walker

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
guestrelations4, Manager at Crowne Plaza London-Gatwick Airport, responded to this review, February 22, 2013

It is always very encouraging to receive such positive feedback for both Staff and Management.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.