“Just nipped out for a bite”
Review of Hillside Inn

Hillside Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Hillside Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 263 Restaurants in Crawley
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Hillside Inn in Crawley is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Billingshurst
“Just nipped out for a bite”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Had heard a lot about this place, so tried it out. Plates cold bit of a pet hate of mine, food cold and steak very tough. Nice wine but poor beer. Didn't like seeing staff drinking with customers.

Visited September 2013

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Bleuh!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Friendly if not speedy service was marred by a very uninspiring meal of pork and chorizo burger and a nut roast with no Yorkshire pudding!!....why wasn't the nut roast on the Sunday menu??

I have eaten at this pub on a few occasions and was generally impressed before but came away a couple of Sundays ago feeling a little bleuh!

Fairly filling but not fab!

Maybe will try again when the sun is shining.

• Visited January 2014
Surrey
“Disapointing”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I visited on a Friday evening with a group of friends. I have eaten here many times and have always found it to be a good experience but last night left me disappointed. One of the group is a vegetarian, and we could find nothing on the menu suitable for her, until I asked the waitress. She the produced a board with 3 dishes on it, one of which was unavailable. To be fair, she said there maybe an alternative and went off to find out. There was a mushroom pie, so my friend and I both ordered that. Another member of the group ordered a side salad with her main dish. We waited quite a long time for our mains, but that was ok. When they arrived, the mushroom pie had an impressive puff pastry topping, but the disappointment when we broke through the crust! The filling for the pie consisted of half a mushroom, potatoes, beans and other vegetables (maybe swede or turnip) in a watery tomato flavoured sauce. I had expected mushroom in some sort of creamy sauce. The side salad consisted of green leaves only. My friend asked the waitress about the salad, and was told that there should be carrot and onion included. She offered to bring some tomato and onion, which was delivered on a saucer. I have no complaints with the waitress who was very quick to assist, but the food was below standard. I have to confess that I didn't complain about the food at the time, because it tends to spoil the evening for the rest of the group, waiting for anther meal to be served etc. We also waited some time for more drinks, but given the weather (floods) it may be that they were short staffed. Indeed 3 members of our group could not reach the restaurant due to the weather.
Would I go back? I'm not sure at this stage.

• Visited January 2014
Haywards Heath
“Nice pub”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Hadn't been here for a couple of years but was pleased to see it is still the same cosy pub. Good simple food and nice wine!

Visited December 2013
Crawley, United Kingdom
“A Good Night Out”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Had a lovely night out on New Years Eve, food was very good and the whole night was very well organised. Considering it was a special night the menu was very good, you had to have placed your order a few weeks before, but they did a very good job, we all had different starters, main courses and sweets, they were all very tasty and no problems (well done). We do like the Hillside and eat there often, an excellent place to have a friendly meal.

• Visited December 2013