“Oh dear!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Been to this pub many times as the Indian food is usually great but unfortunately last night could be our last night!!

They have introduced a new menu which started last night and none of the staff seem to know what’s going on! They were actually printing off A4 copies of the menu as customers asked to see a menu!

The evening started with me asking the barman for a pint of Kingfisher (Indian beer) and he asked if I wanted a single or a double!!

After clarifying that I wanted a pint of beer not a spirit, I then asked him for a pint of coke and a half pint of lager. This little teaser had him totally flummoxed! He asked if I meant half pint coke and a half pint of lager? NO says I, I want a pint of coke with ice and a half pint of lager! It took him a good 30 seconds to figure out it was two separate drinks and he was thinking where could he find a big enough glass to mix a pint of coke with half of lager .

The evening continued along the same vein when we tried to order food. The order was written down three times before he got it right.

The food turned up after 30 minutes but was immediately sent back as it was all cold .

When the meals arrived the second time, they were all hot and very tasty. This was surprising given the Fawlty Towers experience we’d just had at the bar.

So the management have clearly screwed up with the introduction of their new menu. There has obviously been no planning and no staff training. We saw several customers complaining directly to the manager.

We will wait a few months for this place to either settle down or go out of business before we would consider trying it again.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (134)

Reviewed September 9, 2019 via mobile

Had dinner here the other night and although the service was slow(it wasn't busy) when we did get the food it was great.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed July 28, 2019 via mobile

Just wanted to say a huge thank you. We had a party for my husbands 50th last night. It was such a great night. The staff as always were friendly and allowed me to blue tooth a playlist. The buffet was really good and I’m still enjoying the samosas today.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed July 8, 2019 via mobile

Came to the Downsman for the first time with my wife and everytjing exceded our expectations. The bartenders Dani and Stacey were very friendly and helped us a great lot in explaining all the available dishes and what they recomended us was exactly spot on! I had the Nawabi Biryani which was the absolute best in town full of flavour and perfectly balanced. My wife had the lambchops which where cooked to perfection. Excelent atmosphere and the beers where nice an cold! Would deffinetly come again!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

This is another great find, it’s a British Indian run pub, so great food and great beer, it really is a friendly place to catch up with an old friend, grab a curry and a beer, watch some football at feel safe. It’s one of the best night spots in Crawley, plenty of space inside, 10/10

Date of visit: April 2019