“slow service!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
crawley
“slow service!!!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

went for our daughters 21'st, very polite staff but once seated we waited ages for anybody to ask what drinks we wanted, than the same with our food order!! was 7pm and half full!! food was quite quick coming out, we had the ribs and chicken to share...was a bit well done but ate it anyway had to ask for more coldslaw as the tiniest little bowl!! We ordered the birthday desert to share £10 of cream!! an inch of ice-cream in the bottom! absolute RIP OFF!!!! the poor boy seving us didnt know what to say blabbering....we paid our bill and left. Cant fault the scenery or music and atmosphere tho but they need to learn from the americans!!

• Visited March 2013

London
“AWFUL.... Don't bother!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I have just had our evening meal at Smith and Western in Crawley (Tilgate park) and to say we are disappointed is an understatement. On arrival the scene setting and the welcome of the restaurant was good, that's where it stopped. We sat down to find sticky menus to browse through, when a waiter approached us with drinks, we hadn't even ordered? It took a little while to order drinks but ALOT longer to order food. I found the menu a little disappointing in choice, and a bit over priced but I did think to myself 'this must ensure good quality' WRONG!

My friend and I ordered the burrito, however my friend being a vegetarian opted for veggie where as I had the chicken... You can guess what happened... Despite reassurance from the waitress I ended up with a cold veggie burrito ( it obviously sat whilst they prepared my chicken one) and my friend ended up with the Luke warm chicken burrito. We highlighted this and requested new food. The waitress was apologetic but nothing was offered as a concession.when the food returned it was hotter but not hot enough. My chicken burrito wasn't very nice, the chicken being hardened and overcooked... So in the end I actually picked out the chicken and ate the rest! It was another long wait before our plates were removed and the offering of desserts. After the delay,errors and poor qaulity of food I was not prepared to spend any more money..

Writing this review anyone would think it was hectic, packed and understaffed, however it was quite the opposite being very quiet with a number of staff roaming around the place.

If you want somewhere fun to go,it's not here
If you want good qaulity food, it's not here
If you want value for money and great customer service, that isn't here either

I won't be returning to ANY smith and western after this initial experience of this chain.

1 Thank thescarletwoman
East Sussex
“Poor Service, Over Priced & Poor Quality Food”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Have never been to one of these before and will never go again. Asked for a beer and got told you can either have a half pint or a two pint pitcher. I asked for a pint and got told they do not serve pints even thought there were pint glasses on the bar. Asked for two half pints and then went to pour them into an empty pint glass. You would have thought I had committted a serious crime by the reaction of the bar staff. Whats wrong with these people. Then the food. The menu whist pretty extensive is expensive and I can only think that those that have given this place a great review for its food have never eaten at a local pub where tyere is fresh, yes FRESH, food and at a cheaper price. When the food eventually arrived after a long wait (good job it was not busy) it was nothing special and quite obvious apart from the burgers everything else was just reheated meals. The service was so bad did not even consider a pudding. There is much better quality food at a cheaper price and with better service in the area. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank NickEastSussex
Crawley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brillaint when quiet, Very poor when busy!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Been here a couple of times now. once on a monday evening when it was quiet it was brilliant! great service, amazing food, cant complain about a thing and would deffinate go again when its that quiet. BUT then i went on a saturday evening when the place was packed service was ridiculously slow took 20 minuets to get drinks and then we we asked for refills we waited even longer and didnt even get the last one we asked for. food took at least 45 minutes and came out looking like it had been thrown together then sat there for an hour NOT IMPRESSED especially when your paying £14 for your main. I understand that things are harder anywhere you go when its busy but this is the worst one ive been to.

• Visited February 2013
Box Hill, United Kingdom
“Great Venue”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Set in Tilgate Park, this is a very reasonable place to eat, and if the sun is shinning you can sit outside and watch the world go by. As I had said about the Park the only downside is paying for parking, and if you have no loose change it can be a problem.

Visited July 2012