“AWFUL.... Don't bother!”

Smith & Western
Ranked #65 of 262 Restaurants in Crawley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“AWFUL.... Don't bother!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I have just had our evening meal at Smith and Western in Crawley (Tilgate park) and to say we are disappointed is an understatement. On arrival the scene setting and the welcome of the restaurant was good, that's where it stopped. We sat down to find sticky menus to browse through, when a waiter approached us with drinks, we hadn't even ordered? It took a little while to order drinks but ALOT longer to order food. I found the menu a little disappointing in choice, and a bit over priced but I did think to myself 'this must ensure good quality' WRONG!

My friend and I ordered the burrito, however my friend being a vegetarian opted for veggie where as I had the chicken... You can guess what happened... Despite reassurance from the waitress I ended up with a cold veggie burrito ( it obviously sat whilst they prepared my chicken one) and my friend ended up with the Luke warm chicken burrito. We highlighted this and requested new food. The waitress was apologetic but nothing was offered as a concession.when the food returned it was hotter but not hot enough. My chicken burrito wasn't very nice, the chicken being hardened and overcooked... So in the end I actually picked out the chicken and ate the rest! It was another long wait before our plates were removed and the offering of desserts. After the delay,errors and poor qaulity of food I was not prepared to spend any more money..

Writing this review anyone would think it was hectic, packed and understaffed, however it was quite the opposite being very quiet with a number of staff roaming around the place.

If you want somewhere fun to go,it's not here
If you want good qaulity food, it's not here
If you want value for money and great customer service, that isn't here either

I won't be returning to ANY smith and western after this initial experience of this chain.

1 Thank thescarletwoman

East Sussex
“Poor Service, Over Priced & Poor Quality Food”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Have never been to one of these before and will never go again. Asked for a beer and got told you can either have a half pint or a two pint pitcher. I asked for a pint and got told they do not serve pints even thought there were pint glasses on the bar. Asked for two half pints and then went to pour them into an empty pint glass. You would have thought I had committted a serious crime by the reaction of the bar staff. Whats wrong with these people. Then the food. The menu whist pretty extensive is expensive and I can only think that those that have given this place a great review for its food have never eaten at a local pub where tyere is fresh, yes FRESH, food and at a cheaper price. When the food eventually arrived after a long wait (good job it was not busy) it was nothing special and quite obvious apart from the burgers everything else was just reheated meals. The service was so bad did not even consider a pudding. There is much better quality food at a cheaper price and with better service in the area. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank NickEastSussex
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Brillaint when quiet, Very poor when busy!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Been here a couple of times now. once on a monday evening when it was quiet it was brilliant! great service, amazing food, cant complain about a thing and would deffinate go again when its that quiet. BUT then i went on a saturday evening when the place was packed service was ridiculously slow took 20 minuets to get drinks and then we we asked for refills we waited even longer and didnt even get the last one we asked for. food took at least 45 minutes and came out looking like it had been thrown together then sat there for an hour NOT IMPRESSED especially when your paying £14 for your main. I understand that things are harder anywhere you go when its busy but this is the worst one ive been to.

• Visited February 2013
Box Hill, United Kingdom
“Great Venue”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Set in Tilgate Park, this is a very reasonable place to eat, and if the sun is shinning you can sit outside and watch the world go by. As I had said about the Park the only downside is paying for parking, and if you have no loose change it can be a problem.

Visited July 2012
Crawley, United Kingdom
“Great venue for a family get-together/celebration - with surprisingly good food!!!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Sat 28 Jan 2013 @ 14:00 - family group - 4 adults; 5 children (9-19).

I had pre-booked, and just as well, as it was very busy... large round table, with 4 seats for us adults, with 5 children on the booth-style seating. The whole place is like a Disney version of a Cowboy/Wild-West saloon, and great fun.

We didn't have any starters, making do with the nachos supplied free.

Mains varied from burgers to steaks to a mixed grill (me!). ALL steaks were cooked exactly as ordered, with a little plastic flag on each, to confirm how it had been cooked (a nice touch!) - mine was a mixed grill of steak, chicken and half-rack or ribs - all 3 meats were very tasty, and good quality, all with varying degrees of spice etc. ALL steaks got the 'nod', as did the burgers, and ALL of the mains - no issues at all, which makes a lovely change from most places these days!

Desserts ranged from "stack of (mini) donuts" to "pancakes", and also a huge ice-cream-thingy for 2 - as with mains, all were consumed heartily, all were exactly as described, and all very tasty.

The only slight down-side to the whole meal was the service - a very pleasant young "cow-girl" was serving us, but the interval between visits was far too long, especially with a table of 9. For example, the dinner plates were collected, then 10-15 minutes later we were finally given the dessert menus, then another 10-15 minutes before our dessert order was taken. Instead, they could/should have given us the dessert menus when they collected our plates, so that we could have been browsing/choosing... Okay, so they were busy, but if they haven't enough staff, get some more!!!

Overall, a very good meal, and pleasantly and surprisingly good quality for a themed restaurant!!!

"I'll be back..."