“It's perfect just for 1 night.”

Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Not a perfect place, I'll admit. But at these prices, it doesn't matter.

I was very excited and couldn't wait to get away the next day, so when we checked in, it didn't matter too much that the check-in was a bit slow, the internet was a bit overpriced and that it was quite hot in the room.

Everything else was a good standard: you get the basic essentials in terms of amenities and TV, soap etc. The hotel is a nice, elegant style, and to be honest, it put me in an even better mood than before!
No hotel is perfect and neither is any holiday. But I remember clearly my stay here because it was a fantastic start to the holiday with a relaxed atmosphere.

In comparison to other hotels in the area, I'd recommend equally The Copthorne London Gatwick, but this has a slightly more sophisticated edge.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 21, 2010

The first thing I need to inform you is that I am a fussy so and so. If something isn't up to scratch or needs attention when I'm paying good money, I don't hold back.
My initial impressions after speaking to and then seeing the staff was that they were very professional, helpful and courteous. The bar area just past the reception had a nice relaxing ambience about it.
The glass lift was a bit fidgety because you need to use your swipe card to make it move and it wasn't overly responsive to my attempts.
The room I have to say was very clean, presentable and well.... immaculate if I'm being honest. Bear in mind I was paying only £88.00 for a 2-night stay to meet the girl of my dreams so if it would have been even remotely tatty I'd have sounded off.
The bathroom was in great condition and very clean and presentable.
The "power" shower wasn't overly impressive. My shower at home put it to shame but after running round in circles I got wet eventually (That's a joke btw)
The brew making facilities were fine, however the coffee and tea were a tad scant with one of each to choose from.... 1 brew??? What's all that about?
I didn't have the breakfast as I made the short trip into the mall round the corner and had an ample English breakfast for £5.50 compared to the £14.99 the hotel wanted.
Although I did eat in one night and had the Cod and chips - Now I have to say it cost me £17.00 but without trying to gain influence or favour, it was THE best cod and chips I've ever eaten, as well as the tastiest so it was all good.
Checking out was a doddle as was the car parking underneath the hotel. I would recommend you ring the hotel initially to check parking availability. One thing I did note is that if you lose your parking ticket that the machines issue, it'll set you back £100.00 to get your car out - You've been warned!
Overall it was a great experience on all fronts and I'd 100% recommend it to anyone having a short trip away or a resting spot before or after your holidays.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Given a very pleasant family room with a discount for their booking mistake, which they recognized after a little thought. Very comfortable beds. Extremely convenient train station to London Victoria, a real plus . Very nice atmosphere at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I use the Arora regularly and I think the rooms are great, so long as you don't back onto the railway line. They are a good size, nice beds and the bathrooms have both a bath and shower cubicle. I've never yet had cause to complain about the hygiene and the staff are all very friendly and willing to help.

I have knocked a star off for each of two points.

1. Breakfast. If, like me, you enjoy an english breakfast while travelling then you will be disappointed. Even arriving at 0630 the bacon, beans, eggs, sausage etc are luke warm at best. Leave it later and the tea water in the handy flasks (sic) will be of a similar temperature. The chafers are piled high but unable to keep any of it warm. Coupled with the cold plates you'd better start eating before you get back to your table if you want a sense of any heat in it. I've given up.

2. Internet. Considering the age we live in it's about time hotels offered internet free. The Arora allows you 30 minutes in the foyer if you ask for a code. After that it starts at £6.50 for an hour and gradually escalates to daylight robbery. Sorry, but this is unnacceptable.

So, yep, great rooms, good facilities, convenient for Crawley railway station (two stops from Gatwick, the hotel isn't actually at Gatwick), a reasonable bar (London prices, owch) and good parking. Just let down by the internet and the breakfast.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Delightful staff at reception, bar and restaurant. Wonderful big bedroom. Superb food . Also great location, just two stops on the train from Gatwick and access from the station platform. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2010

What are really the most important factors when you are a frequent traveller?

For me I need four things - in this priority: Internet, a working aircondition, a smokingroom and food available when I need it at resonable price.

Arora has for many years screwed their customers when it comes to Internet and computers. The computers in the lounge are stoneage,The internet sucks and you can choose between a ripoff charge at the room or sitting in the lounge for free on a very poor line shared by everybody.

In most 2 star hotels today you would find free wireless high speed internet access everywhere in the hotel. You would not find it at Arora..

Aircondition works poorly.

..but they offer smokingrooms and food at reasonable prices..

Cheers!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We had been booked into the sofitel but cancelled when they made it a complete non smoking hotel.(yes we are social lepers). I know it's still the same chain but this place is a real gem.The place is spotless and so comfortable .The staff are really friendly and make you feel welcome.
Apart from the fact this place is not on the airport ( the transfers are simple and well organised) the Arora is superior to the Sofitel in everything and we look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple