“A Great Place for an Overnight Stay at Gatwick” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sofitel London Gatwick
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Ayr, United Kingdom
“A Great Place for an Overnight Stay at Gatwick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a very good hotel if you need to stay at Gatwick prior to an early morning flight - as we did.

The staff are friendly, helpful and, unlike so many hotels, seem genuinely pleased to see you.

The rooms are pleasantly furnished with large comfy beds, while the bathrooms are brightly lit and have decent sized baths with lots of piping hot water (other hotels please note - a bathroom must have a bath, at least in my book!)

Our only criticism was that the restaurant does not open until 18.30 and we wanted to eat before then so we ate elsewhere (see separate review of the Globe restaurant). There is a menu of snacks in the bar but the selection seemed limited and there was nothing that we really fancied.

Nevertheless we enjoyed our stay and would happily stay there again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay in our hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and were able to relax before your early morning flight.

I was disappointed to hear that you had to go an dine elsewhere due to the opening times of our restaurant. We do have our Urban Café available from 11:00 till 23:30, I do apologise if this was not explained to you.

If you have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com and they will be happy to assist you.

Graham Hawksworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,243)
Glos
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We decided to stay over at the Gatwick sofitel as a special Christmas treat before our early morning flight.

We had stayed several times at the Sofitel Heathrow which is simply fabulous.

On arrival at the Gatwick we were greeted by a courteous doorman, but that was the end of any pleasantries.

The queue to check in at 5pm was extensive. We needed to queue for half an hour with two young children.

At the desk I presented my Accor card to be told that absolutely I could not colllect the points due to me as I had booked through the Gatwick reservations system and not through the hotel directly. I had also asked for a quiet room at the end of a corridor on an upper floor but we were placed on a medium floor opposite a party of young adults keen on partying.the night away. We were also overlooking the main ring road which was very busy all night long.

I opened the fridge expecting some complimentary water, but there was nothing. (Unlike the Sofitel at Heathrow). The furniture was chipped in the bedroom and bathroom and I can honestly say that is was no greater luxury than a premier inn. And, had I realised the Premier inn was situated alongside the Sofitel, I would certainly have booked there instead given the costs involved!

We booked dinner at the restaurant down in the concourse. Dinner was costly and the kids meal deal was also more expensive than at Heathrow. The waiter brought our drinks and then dropped the entire delivery over our table soaking two of us. Had he at least apologised, it would have been a comfort. But he said nothing. The maitre D' came out and asked us to move to another dry table. We sat, waited, he re brought the drinks and then spilled them once again. Again still not a word of apology.

The food was very average indeed, though my daughter enjoyed her kids meal. But at £91 for a family with multiple spillages, and then the auto addition of a tip, I was really really unimpressed. I went to reception - where I had to queue with the remaining visitors trying to check in - there was no stand alone concierge available - to ask for water for our room. I was told that 'only the guests on the sixth floor and above' received free water. I realise this was probably another consequence of booking via Gatwick and not via Sofitel directly. Or not being some kind of premier business traveller. There is no room for family treats at the Gatwick Sofitel.

When I explained our dinner experience the receptionist did finally agree to give us some free bottled water. But it felt like a very empty gesture indeed. I have to admit to feeling really really let down: No points, no water, no pleasant meal, and no peaceful night. At least at a premier inn you get your money refunded if you don't get a good night's sleep. The chances of even being able to speak to someone at the Gatwick sofitel are extremely slim.

Avoid.

Room Tip: It seems little point asking for a quiet one, as you will not be provided with one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your most recent stay in our hotel.

I sincerely apologise that your stay was not to your satisfaction and we would like to discuss this matter further with you. Please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com or by telephone on 01293 555100 who will be investigating the matter further.

I do hope that you will give us another chance to better serve you and look forward to hearing from you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We booked the parking and one night stay with holiday extra. The car drop off was quick and simple. The hotel rooms are nice, and the bed is very comfortable. Dinner choice is limited but you will find something to suit you. Breakfast was below average, and cooked food was not replaced when it run out on the buffet, we had to ask 3 times for eggs!. But well worth staying if you are using the north terminal at lgw.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, January 7, 2014

I was delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our Park and Fly package and the location of the hotel was suitable to catch your early morning flight, however I was disappointed to hear about the difficulties you experienced at breakfast and would like to offer my sincere apologies. Please rest assured that the necessary retraining of our ambassadors has been put into place to ensure that a similar occurrence does not happen again.

If you happen to have any special requests or queries prior to your next stay then please contact our Guest Relations team on h6204-gr@sofitel.com and they will be happy to assist you.

wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Unbeatable position at north terminal, Gatwick, was mystery hotel on late deals ( bargain) , very little benefit from being an Accor member, I was told in no uncertain terms I would not be getting any points for my stay because I did not book direct, generic room, nice central area, functional, but very good bed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

I was delighted that you found the location of the hotel convenient to catch your early morning flight. I do apologise that you did not receive points on this particular stay.

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

I was impressed as soon as we walked into the hotel. Check in was simple and the rooms were spacious with very comfortable beds.

We'd got a very good deal on the hotel including a 2 course for meal for £17.95. Before dinner we went to kua bar for a cocktail. My mum picked her cocktail but the bar men helpfully let her know that it wasn't at all sweet. This was really good of him as sweet was what she wanted. The food was very good and the service was quick.

The shower was hot straight away and I liked that you got bath sheets instead of the small towels I always get in hotels. I'd definitely stay here again!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Lil_vicki
Sofitel_LGW, General Manager at Sofitel London Gatwick, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. Your feedback enables us to continually review our service delivery and standards and make changes wherever possible.

We are delighted to hear that you and your mother experienced an enjoyable stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We look forward to you returning to the hotel and our Guest Relations Team can be contacted on H6204-GR@sofitel.com ahead of any future stay to assist with any specific requirements.

St. Helier, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I am a Platinum Accor Favourite Guest and I'd like to say that this hotel is the best one in Gatwick.
Also I don't do often some mistake, I did one checking in yesterday as I forgot to book a room.
The receptionist girl was very good and professional and propose to me a very good rate.
I was amaze that the hotel didn't take advantage and like to thank you them for that.
That prove that if you are loyal to Sofitel they would be loyal to you.
Thank you and Yes I do recommend this hotel room and for a little supplement enjoy the Club Floor with his bar.

Room Tip: Club floor bar is very good
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am delighted that you found our hospitality to your satisfaction. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback regarding the service you received. I have forwarded a copy to my management team and I am sure that they will be very much encouraged by your appreciative comments.

We truly value your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel London Gatwick on many future occasions.