“Burnt Wood odour unbearable !”

Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
Ranked #25 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Arrived very late and parking was good - staff seemed friendly and so did the open fire - however the room, although it was large and comfortable ( bed was good ) the smell of the tar on the beams was so overpowering it actually stuck in our throats. Our friends had exactly the same experience in their room also - oh my goodness - two weeks later I can still recall the smell - and we have been to Marrakech on holiday since as well. Its a shame as overall the value for parking etc was good, however I will never stay there again ( we did complain but they didn't take any notice and didn't offer any compensation ) - such a shame as overall it was a good experience. Mrs Flower Tenby.

Room Tip: Just ask for one without beams ( good luck ) - I just wouldn't risk it !!!
There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here in November 2012 before going on holiday 64 punds including 7 days parking in a 4 star hotel. I work in the industry and thought blimey thats a great deal whats the catch??
I arrived a the hotel parking is tricky if you have a big car the spaces are tiny. I checked in initial thoughts were its ok not what I was expecting from Copthorne but ok.
I then got to my room which was very dated and dark and dingy with several maintenance issues including torn carpets and curtains damaged, although I must say was very clean. The bathroom was equally clean and great shower. Beds were great and I had a good nights sleep. I ordered room service which took ages to come some 45 mins and predictably when it arrived it ws cold - i ordered a Burger which had it been hot would have been very good. I then watched the TV or at least tried too - in its day I imagine the TV system would have been very modern and very high tec, however now its just clunky and not user friendly. Sadly the final issue was that I booked a taxi which reception forgot to book which had I not been catching a flight would not have been a major issue - fortunately the shuttle bus was there and I used that which worked ok -You would expect a basic such as a taxi to be ordered.
All in all given what I paid I think it was ok - It is a great pity that Copthorne have not put their hands in their pockets and spent some money on the product as I am sure that given their location they could comand a higher price. Its a very slippery slope once hotels have to start cutting their prices as low as they have to get business. Come on Copthorne I know you can be better than this!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor I was in the 0-26 rooms on the lower ground floor - not great rooms...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a corporate event, the hotel is old fashioned and in need of a good restyle, the room has old, worn and stained furniture in it and the hallways are cold and uninviting. The reception area and the restaurant are a little better but still old fashioned; it lets down the excellent events and conferencing facilities the hotel as.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Wanted to book here for New years Eve. A group of 12 of us decided to look after kids in 1 suite and take it in turns on a rotor which I offered to give her. They refused our booking as we were not allowed to do that. We said that kids would never be in room alone. No. Do not want your booking. Then tried to complain about treatment. Just went in circles. Last year was terrible anyway. Food bad and empty venue. Have to say staff were very amateurish. Not even apologetic about it. Young girl seemed to like the power. Her message on my answerphone was very school prefect talking to first year student. Sorry this review needed to be said. Customer service appalling.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed two nights here in October. Staff excellent and very obliging but hotel decor and rooms very tired and in need of refurb. Restaurant food quite expensive and had to wait over an hour for our meal on the first evening. Ample parking and lovely, lovely grounds which include a golf course.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I booked this hotel for one night before flying out the next morning from Gatwick and because it was very close to the car parking I had booked. I booked before I read the trip advisor reviews and frankly, was dreading it as mostly they had been very negative.

My daughter and I arrived late (10.00pm) but were warmly welcomed and signed in in moments. The room was far, far better than I had expected. It was clean, a bit tired looking, but ok. The beds were very comfortable, clean and it had a welcoming air to it. The bathroom was also fine and perfectly adequate for our needs.

We were offered a wake up call as we were leaving around 05.30 am and this was fulfilled. We then checked out in moments and left.

The overall impression was very good, the room fine and the personnel very welcoming and polite. We did not have any food so I cannot comment.

Would I stay there again - absolutely.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SomersetHappytravels
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stay in hotels a lot for work. But this one was truly the worst in terms of customer service. When I checked out I questioned my bill, as it was wrong. I was told that they would look into the matter and just take whatever money they needed from my account via the card details I had left at check-in (as is standard) but they agreed that they would contact me if it was not the amount I had agreed that would be taken. They ended up just taking more money without contacting me at all. I feel like they stole from me! And trying to chase these things up is impossible, I just got put on hold, transferred from one person to another, then lost in the system, several times. Emails don't get replied to, don't bother with that. The room wasn't even that nice.
I WOULD NEVER, EVER STAY HERE AGAIN

1  Thank Roz G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Holiday Inn London Gatwick Worth
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
Crowne Plaza Felbridge Hotel
#2 of 4 in East Grinstead
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley
Lingfield Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick? Share your experiences!