Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick
$74
$145
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Arora Hotel Gatwick / Crawley(Crawley)(Great Value!)
$86
$109
PremierInn.com
  • Free Internet
1,526 results
All reviewsflying from gatwickbit datedtaxi serviceovernight stayexcellent value for money
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 12, 2011

This hotel was highly disappointing- I would not give iut 3 stars never mind the 4 in currently has. The furniture in the rooms were battered; the whole hotel need redecorating (looked like it hadn;t had a lick of paint since the 1970s), my bathroom had cracked tiles and a broken mirror and the food.... I ate breakfast and lunch in th hotel because my package included it- it was edible but not enjoyable: I didn't eat in the restaurant in the evenings.

The staff also tended not to be friendly, for example, I checked in... dragged all my stuff to my room and the key wouldn't work- after going down with all my luggage the receptionist implied it was my fault- "mobile phones can decode them" no apology and I didn't even have my phonw with me.

I would not stay here again unless very desperate.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jenpanda
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2011

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We are very sorry you felt so disappointed with your stay. We do have several projects in hand which will involve improvements to the hotel, firstly we are providing all rooms with new beds, this will be happening in the next few weeks. We are extremely sorry you did not enjoy your meals - we are only sorry we were unable to address your disappointment at the time and hopefully make improvements for you. We can appreciate your frustration when you found your key did not work and you had to go back to reception, also the manner in which this was handled by our Front Office staff member. Please be assured your e mail and comments will be addressed with all the Managers concerned and the necessary actions taken. We appreciate your taking the time to write a review following your stay and to give us the opportunity to make improvements in the light of your comments. Thank you once again.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Service great got a room upgrade. Location great, lovely views easy access to airport and motorway. Nice size room and good bathroom; one of the best night sleep in an airport hotel. They do need to sort out a plug near the main mirror for us girls to do our hair.

Room Tip: I enjoyed Room 307, with private balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Thank you for posting a review on our hotel following your recent stay. We were very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay, your accommodation and the surroundings, also that we offered good value for money. We hope we may look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kindest regards

Reviewed May 6, 2011

My problem wasn't with the hotel itself, that was perfectly adequate but the booking system was a total nightmare! Booked online to stay at one copthorne hotel, and received the confirmation email, but when i rang them to make an enquiry about my booking the reception staff informed me it had been made with a different hotel. The reception staff could then not change the booking and i was unable to speak to the reservation department as it was not open after 5pm, on a sunday nor on a bank holiday!! I have never dealt with a hotel whose reception cannot take nor ammend a booking! When i was eventually able to speak to the reservations dept, and asked to have the booking changed back to the hotel i originally wanted to stay in, they failed to send me a confirmation email even though i specifically asked for it. I rang them again to ask for written confirmation, and this time again gave my email address to make sure, but still no confirmation email arrived. I have to say this chain is the most infuritaing, confusing and unhelpful i have ever had the misfortune to try to book with. Will not be staying with them again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbug186934
Gatwick8, Guest Relations Manager at Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Thank you very much for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the confusion regarding your booking. We do hope you have by now received your confirmation. If by any chance you have not, please contact Judith Campbell in the General Manager's office. We are aware that sometimes guests make mistakes as we have two hotels at Gatwick located quite close together. May we assure you we will be addressing the issue of poor communication which you experienced, in particular as you phoned outside normal office hours when our reservations office was closed. We do hope you have now received your confirmation.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention,

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Hotel looks nice form the outside but that's as far as the good news goes. Tired, scruffy (scratched doors and furniture) and looks dated inside. Woken up at 6.30am by one of the cleaning staff talking LOUDLY on her mobile phone directly outside my room, I had to get up and tell her to clear off! In a hotel, this is inexcusable. My colleague ended up with itchy bites on his arms and legs, whether this was because of his hotel room we do not know but it seems like a coincidence. We did not eat or drink in the hotel, judging by other reviews this seemed like a good call. For food and drink, there is a very nice pub 10 mins walk away, the Duke's Head I think it was called.

Room Tip: Eat at the Duke's Head
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. We are extremely sorry you were disturbed by one of our staff. It is against the rules for staff to use their phones while on duty, so may I assure you this point has been brought to the attention of our Head Housekeeper. We are also sorry your colleague believes he may have been bitten by insects. We would have wished to investigate this further as we are not sure if you reported the matter. Any suggestions of insects are taken very seriously and have to be investigated. Lastly, of course we are disappointed you chose not to eat in the hotel. It is always a nice option for guests to have the choice of either eating with us or visiting local pubs and restaurants.
Thank you once again for your informative review.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed April 25, 2011

we stayed here as a deal before flying out on holiday from Gatwick, which we have done before from other hotels very successfully, but this was horrid. The hotel looked seedy, the food was dreadful and the Sports Bar which was the only place for us to get a drink was diabolicle. On our return the car had been moved miles away from the hotel and not moved back for out conveinence and parked under a tree so the paint stained with sap and leaves. Not a good experience in any way at all.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel following your recent stay. We are very sorry you felt so disappointed with your stay, in particular the Sports Bar, we appreciate everyone's taste differs, however, your comments have been passed on to our Head Chef. We are sorry your car was not brought round to the front of the hotel at the end of your holiday. We have a specific system where cars may be moved to our long term car park at the rear of the hotel, they are then brought round to the front of the building ready for collection at the end of the holiday. It is very unusual to receive a complaint of this nature regarding our car parking procedures. Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.