“Disappointing second visit” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Disappointing second visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

After good experience in March disappointed with room on 7th floor. Machinery noises all night and temperature way too high. Still same helpful and efficient staff and meals delicious and value for money.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 7th floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We booked this hotel via Holiday Extras. We stayed in a Ramada at Crawley before (which was great) and I thought this was the same hotel. When we got there I realised my mistake big time! I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before but I felt I had to warn other people of this rotten place. The room stank of cigarettes, the beds looked like there were about 20 -30 years old. I didn't dare look at the matteress. Even the corridors stank. We booked an early morning call - that never happened. I will never go there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank michael c
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel is a mixed bag! If it hadn't have been for the fact that I was given a room with a truly horrific mattress, I would have happily given this hotel 3 or 4 out of 5 as the customer service given by Kinjal was excellent, the rooms were a good size and the location and parking were very convenient.

However, there is no escaping the fact that I was given what I can only sum up as the most horrific mattress I've ever had the misfortune to set eyes on! Upon peeling back the sheet and utterly heavily stained mattress protector, I found that my mattress was as good as non-existent!

The mattress had literally disintegrated and was falling apart at the seams. The parts of the mattress which remained intact were soiled and truly disgusting. I can only assume that for years the cleaners must have turned a blind-eye on this or perhaps didn't see fit to flag this up as a problem.

Either way, this hotel has not only fallen below par in terms of standards, but has besmirched Ramada's good name.

Room Tip: Inspect your mattress on arrival - you might have a horrible shock otherwise!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wycombe-Simon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here for a week for buisness purposes. The rooms are pretty dated and in need of repair. The rooms were fairly clean. Would be ideal for a quick stop when going to Gatwick. Free Wi Fi which is a bonus now a days. Sheets were made daily. Right on Crawley high street so easy access to many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I'd read that parts of the George Hotel in Crawley go back to the 15th century, and also that the ghost of a night watchman who inadvertently drank some poison is known to wander the corridors. Alas we saw no ghosts on our one night stay here! That said, the front of the hotel is steeped in character, and the location is ideal right on the old High Street in Crawley - surrounded by plentiful restaurants, pubs and shops, and the Crawley market right outside on the Saturday. And, overall we had a very enjoyable stay :)

The back of the hotel looks a bit patchy & certainly in need of a clean-up, and from previous reviews I get the impression that the standard of rooms is highly variable, dependent on where you happen to get placed. So - I can only comment on our room. We found it very roomy, clean and comfortable, and we slept very well. The room is equipped with a large flat screen TV with all freeview channels (including the HD ones) available, and tea and coffee making facilities. Where we were there was no trouble with noise during the night - although many of the corridors certainly have creaky floors walking through, adding to the character for us, but possibly a nuisance for the rooms close by.

We booked with Avios points, and our stay included full breakfast. This was a full buffet style breakfast with unlimited tea/coffee, selection of hot and cold items including cereal, fruits, yogurts, pastries and full English breakfast items, which we both enjoyed.

The booklet/website says that free WiFi is available in all rooms. However, in our room we were unable to find any networks whatsoever on either phone or iPad. Since we were only there for one night, we were fine with the 3G signal but this could be an issue had we been staying longer. I didn't chase up so don't know if there was any issue the night we were there, or if it was just the room we were in.

Good value and I would be happy to recommend, based on our room and stay.

Room Tip: It's a bit of a warren in there, and I suspect rooms may vary enormously. Ours was 404, which I...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

The bathroom door could not shut. The Shower Curtain was too short so flooded the bathroom.
The bed was broken and extremely uncomfortable. The bedding was so thin we thought at first that there wasn't any!
General grubby feel with shabby wardrobe and fittings
Noisy guests late night
So probably the worst room I've stayed in in recent years.
The only thing that wasn't bad was nice clean soft towels.
Ramada need to get in and sort this hotel out pronto.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MIKE p
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Booked this hotel as part of a park and stay deal for a holiday flight from Gatwick.
Large rooms good bar area, the restaurant was fantastic great food at resonable prices, we stayed for 1 night wait 12 days parking for £96.00.
Great value will be staying again next time we fly from gatwick.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple