“Nice rooms”

Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Shaldon, United Kingdom
“Nice rooms”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Yes the rooms were a good size as were the beds and nicely decorated. Bar and restaurant were good too. Staff pleasant and helpful. Very near Gatwick Airport so extremely handy for holidays or business trips. Easy to find and park.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The approach to the car park at the rear of the hotel is unprepossing to say the least, but we were given Room 270 in the new building and it was a lovely large room with windows to 2 sides (overlooking aforesaid car park). Bed could have been more comfortable (a bit of a sag to the mattress on one side).
Walking through the old building you are directly on Crawley High Street with a good range of bars and restaurants.
Service was friendly and our alarm call was prompt giving us time to grab a coffee from the in-room tea/coffee provided before leaving. Comparing the cost of airport parking alone with Hotel plus Airparks parking the hotel stopover cost £10.00. Well worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently with my partner and I will never be returning! I had read the reviews below about the quality of the rooms in the new buliding, so taking this into account I thought I would email them to ask for a room in the old building as they are much bigger. Unfortunatly no one got back to me so I ended up having to ring them. The person on the phone was friendly and told me it was fine and that he would allocate my room to an old style room, however when I arrived I found that I did not have an old style room even though I specifically asked. The situation was made worse by a very rude staff member who looked like he could not care less! Welcomed is far from what I felt and his attitude was 'it's not my problem'. Seeing as I work as a hotel receptionist myself I know that this type of attitude is certainly not accepted. To top that off we were put in a horrible room with very thin floor boards so I was woken up by the people upstairs at 6am! Very run down hotel with need of a makeover and maybe more training for staff to communicate with each other and not to act so rude!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed for one night in this hotel prior to a flight from Gatwick. It looked lovely on the internet! I arrived in the car park at the rear of the hotel late afternoon where lots of youths were hanging around smoking. My room was on the 2nd floor, although I climbed 4 flights of very narrow stairs carrying my heavy suitcase, no lift and no offer of help from the 2 men sitting on the reception desk! The walls in my room were so thin I could hear the man in the next room turning over in bed and there was constant commotion in the corridor. I know people only stay for one night before flights but I'll be staying elsewhere next time!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel at least 6 times in the last couple of years and have always been less than impressed with the place - due mainly to the fact that the allocated room was always in the newish blocks to the rear. These blocks seem to house a strange array of 'guests' who seem to congregate around the doors smoking. The entrance halls and corridors also were in need of a bit of a clean up. That said, the rooms were reasonable and appeared to be clean.
However, this last trip I asked for a room in the original building and what a difference! We were give a lovely large room with much more character than any of the others we've had.
Breakfast is quite basic but if you get it included in your rate then it's ok if you're in a rush.
Hotel is very well located for central Crawley for shopping/eating etc and a few minutes walk to the railway station with good connections to central London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We used this hotel as an overnight stop and leaving our car for the week in the hotel carpark whilst flying out from Gatwick. We stayed in one of the rooms overlooking the carpark and ringroad. The room was clean and adequate in a sort of "downmarket" Travelodge style, perfectly OK for a one night stay before an early morning flight. However, we found the room noisy i.e. traffic noise from the nearby road and also a rowdy group who seemed to be coming back to their rooms in the early hours of the morning. We had booked an early morning call through reception - but this was never given (good job we had set our own alarms). Most disapointing was where we had to leave our car for the week we were away. The carpark at the back of the hotel is fully open to the public, with no security or private parking area. We felt very vulnerable to either theft/vandalism or just general damage by other vehicles using the area (which appeared to be very busy e.g. there is a public car washing area alongside the carpark). Fortunately, upon our return the car was OK. To sum up, we paid a relatively low price for the one night stay and one weeks carparking and therefore cannot complain too much. Would we use this hotel again? No.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor B
Brampton, Ontario
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has mixed reviews but we thought it was fabulous. We were a little disappointed at first because as we were 2 adult daughters travelling with a 92 yr old mother we needed a ground floor room which the original centuries old building does not have. Instead we had a HUGE family room with 3 beds and windows on two sides and plenty of room for the large amount of luggage we had travelled with on the Queen Mary. This hotel is a few short stops from Victoria Station and a quick cab from Gatwick and as it is on the High Street...right in the middle of shops, restaurants and two of the days we were there a farmer's market in the square. It was a very very short walk to the "shopping area " including M & S and Debenhams. I also had a chance to revisit a delightful bakery remembered from a previous trip.
Next time in England we'll reverse the stay and book here and travel into London by train as you get far more bang for your GBP than in the big city.
Crawley itself is a sweet town and has some of everything. The people are wonderful and love to do more than expected for their visitors. The area is full of history and the great old buildings are respected and cared for.
This hotel was linked by underground tunnel to a pub on the other side of the square and originally it was were the judges stayed when trying the days "bad guys". They would bring the prisoners over from the room above the pub through the tunnel to stand trial. Those whose punishment was death were hanged on the yardarm which still stands outside the hotel!
This is not the most elegant of hotels but that wasn't what we were looking for, instead we had a lovely big family room with tons of light and room as if we were staying with friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family