“We loved this hotel!!!”

Ramada Crawley Gatwick
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel has mixed reviews but we thought it was fabulous. We were a little disappointed at first because as we were 2 adult daughters travelling with a 92 yr old mother we needed a ground floor room which the original centuries old building does not have. Instead we had a HUGE family room with 3 beds and windows on two sides and plenty of room for the large amount of luggage we had travelled with on the Queen Mary. This hotel is a few short stops from Victoria Station and a quick cab from Gatwick and as it is on the High Street...right in the middle of shops, restaurants and two of the days we were there a farmer's market in the square. It was a very very short walk to the "shopping area " including M & S and Debenhams. I also had a chance to revisit a delightful bakery remembered from a previous trip.
Next time in England we'll reverse the stay and book here and travel into London by train as you get far more bang for your GBP than in the big city.
Crawley itself is a sweet town and has some of everything. The people are wonderful and love to do more than expected for their visitors. The area is full of history and the great old buildings are respected and cared for.
This hotel was linked by underground tunnel to a pub on the other side of the square and originally it was were the judges stayed when trying the days "bad guys". They would bring the prisoners over from the room above the pub through the tunnel to stand trial. Those whose punishment was death were hanged on the yardarm which still stands outside the hotel!
This is not the most elegant of hotels but that wasn't what we were looking for, instead we had a lovely big family room with tons of light and room as if we were staying with friends.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The George is in an excellent location on the High Street and, from the outside, looks as if it is a fairly upmarket place to stay. Sadly, the reality does not really live up to the potential... Rather than the characterful Tudor room I was hoping for, my room was in a modern wing at the back that is much like those in any large chain hotel. However, once past the inauspicious entrance and drab corridors (badly in need of a deep clean) my actual room (168) was quite pleasant and overlooked a small garden. At £65 per night (including breakfast), the room was spacious with both a double and single bed, plenty of storage space and all the usuals such as a TV, hairdryer and ironing equipment. I slept well both nights (quiet environment and comfortable bed). The room seemed to be clean but the en suite (a small bath with overhead shower) had some black mould on the ceiling and tiles that needed a deep clean - it might help if management installed an extractor fan! Breakfast is served from 7.30 but, no matter what time I arrived (I tried 8am the first day and 7.35am the second morning), the cooked breakfast was cold. If I ever stay here again I will give the breakfast a miss as the ingredients used were of very poor quality. I am sure that there must be plenty of places along the High Street that could serve something better than this. Another disappointment was the bar. A beautiful Tudor room has been turned into a grotty cocktail bar with music so loud that it was almost impossible to communicate my order to the bar staff and extortionate charges (I paid well over £7 for 2 small bottles of lager). A couple of 'heavies' guarded the entrance from the High Street. Why this was I have no idea and it does nothing to improve the 'image' of the place. However, you will find plenty of alternatives nearby - there are various eating places, pubs and a large Asda. If you are arriving by car, be warned that the hotel has few parking spaces available. You can book in from 2pm. I arrived at about 2.30pm on a Friday and there were just half a dozen or so spaces left.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AdLucem
Reviewed October 18, 2012

It's easy to see why this hotel gets bad reviews. Strange sleeping arrangements if you are in one of the buildings in the car park, you feel like you are going into some kind of NHS owned establishment, except with a slight smell cigarette smoke in hall ways. Odd.
But... the hotel is ideally located on the High Street of Crawley, close to pubs and restaurants. It has free wi-fi, plenty of TV channels and the staff were very friendly and helpful. And it's cheapish (I paid £62.50 for a double). So, I'd say good for a business traveller or overnight stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GrappaInTheRealWorld
Reviewed October 16, 2012

First impressions when walking up to the hotel was how much uglier it was getting, on arrival at the front desk the staff were exceptionally helpful and pleasing to deal with.
Left our bags with them whilst we enjoyed a few drinks in the out dated uncomfortable ‘bar area’ which felt more like a waiting room at a doctors. Uncomfortable furniture, poor décor, terrible t.v’s.
The drinks they had to offer could also do with an upgrade, in brand not price, with an average pint at around £4 I felt like I was in London.

On arrival in our 7th floor room it was immediately apparent that the heat of the room caused by the wall length windows was going to be an issue. Unable to creek the windows open slightly to allow fresh air in the whole night was an assortment of rumbling around trying to find the colder part of the bed.
The a/c was just recycle the already warm air making it extremely uncomfortable to sleep.

The best part of the hotel is the staff, unfortunately the rest needs to be addressed. Reasonable price for the area so I’m scoring them a 2 star.

Never again though.

*TEAM FURY*
the_fury@live.co.uk

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

I am still a resident at this unfortunate hotel but could not wait any longer to air my views.
I am travelling with a 73 year old relative. Two hip replacements and two bad knees. I rang the hotel to confirm that they catered for such a person and stressed she would need a walk in shower, not a step in bath. "Yes" I was told, no problem. And me being a trusting sole believed them.
So, we arrived and were given our rooms. Our quad family room was clean and adequate. The single disabled room was not. The smallest bed you have ever seen. A bath, not a walk in shower, no handles, except by the toilet. My aunt, with her two bad hips and knees would have needed a fork lift truck to get her into that bath.
I went back to reception but was told by the hapless receptionist that they didn't have walk in showers in the hotel. So they clearly don't cater for disabled guests. Surely against health & safety in this day and age??
I was told there was no duty manager, not even housekeeping on duty ( it was 1640 pm). I couldn't even get a non slip mat for the bath.
I tried to contact Ramada but the only number I could provide was in the US.
So here we are. Poor aunt can't have a wash.
I will never stay in a Ramada again. Stay clear. It's really awful. Really.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank andi_wilson
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Booked a reasonable park and stay package. Thought we'd get some sleep before a very early flight. Not a chance. Constant noise (aircon?) all night. As noisy in corridor, so I wonder if whole hotel is afflicted.
Overpriced and underwhelming meal in characterless restaurant.
We booked because it listed shortest transfer time to Gatwick on booking website, but journey took in hotel that was supposed to be 10 minutes further away.
Only plus was that meet and greet parking worked well.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last week and found it very good if you want to eat out as it is positioned in the high street. Next door is an excellent Thai restaurant. An Ask a cross the road. Wether spoons 100 meters away. I find airport hotels very frustrating as they are usually not near any normal life and once you arrive that's where you stay until your flight but this ramada made me feel like I was already on holiday. The room was very comfortable. Friendly staff and above all cheap

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the wings at back of hotel which was fairly quiet