“Good value room - Expensive in other areas”

Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have stayed here several times and little has changed. The rooms are ok but nothing special and in most cases need a refurb. The bathrooms look tired and there was nowhere to hang a towel within reach of the bath!
The TV offering is poor - about 10 channels and the information channel didn't work. There is a film package but its pricey.
The restaurant is very expensive. Rooms were about £60. A 3 course meal in the restaurant with one drink was over £30. Not a good proportion but they have a captive audience as the nearest alternate is a Tesco - not a bad option!
The food served is OK but not worth the money. The waiting staff didn't know their menu or bar options either.
Breakfast is very disappointing, with limited options and not a great deal of taste.
Be warned that the car park is now charging too and barrier controlled.
Check in was very slow with only one person on despite it being peak arrival time.

Room Tip: Higher the better - away from traffic and service area behind the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Tony F, Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused to you and it seem we failed to deliver service in all the areas.

Please be assured all the issue raised will be immediately investigated and necessary action will be taken.

With Regards to the menu we currently are running 02 value offers, which are 02 main courses for £10 during Lunch and three courses for £22 during dinner. While designing our menu we ensure our prices are competitive and in line with our competitors.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I decided to stay at this hotel because i had an early morning flight home. I had booked one room with a king sized bed and prepaid for the room. I arrived at the hotel from London around 11pm and checked-in. The reception made no mention of the fact that the room I booked and paid for was not available. It wasn't until I took my luggage up to my room that I discovered that I had been given not one king sized bed, but three single beds. The hotel hadn't even bothered to push two of these beds together. When I returned to reception and explained the confusion, I was told that they had no other rooms (not even one with a double bed) and I was offered a complimentary drink. Insufficient compensation for the error in my opinion; a drink is not equivalent to a night's sleep in a king bed. On check-in I had also booked a cab for the next morning because of my early flight. When I went down to get the cab, the cab driver was about to leave because reception had told the cab driver that I had not ordered a cab. Overall, the customer service at this hotel is one of the worst I have ever experienced and I am a frequent traveller. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you call ahead to confirm what type of room you're getting, regardless of what you boo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had four nights stay at the start of our trip and another two at the end. We caught the number 20 bus from the south terminal, it stops at Tesco Three Bridges, the hotel is about 5 mins down the road. Check in was quick with nice staff, We did not take breakfast as we thought it was to expensive. Our room was on the top floor, it was very clean and comfortable with decent beds. When we went out each day the cleaner did a good job of cleaning the room. You can catch the number 100 bus into Crawley town. On our last two nights were had the same room, once again all was fine. The staff booked us a taxi to the airport, it arrived on time and was £8,50. Now the bad bit, the second night of our first stay the fire alarm went off. All out, down seven flights of stairs! false alarm. On our return visit the fire alarm went off again. All out down seven flights of stairs, false alarm again!

Room Tip: High floor away from the lift but you can hear some A/C noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TWEEDY5

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that fire alarm has caused some sort of inconvenience to you. however the fire system is design keeping in mind our guest & team safety, hence we have to follow procedure even it is a false alarm and hope you will appreciate that .I believe it was a sheer coincident that it has happened on both occasion.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Would definitely stay here again. Good value for money with additional 14 nights parking for hoilday. The Friendly staff were helpful. Close to town centre for restaurants etc. good hotel for a Gatwick getaway

• Stayed: August 2013
Tony F, Manager at Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

.Thank you for your recent review.

I and my team delighted to know that we have been successful in creating an enjoyable stay.

Please visit our website for more value offers.

Looking forward to serve you in near future

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Decided to stay as had a morning flight and also it was book in conjunction with meet and greet manor parking. On arrival reception staff were friendly and efficient- double checked out details for the parking company and offered to book a taxi for us to the airport. Fabulous we thought, asked for 7:15 which would give us plenty of time.

Went up to the room- it was pretty spacious and looked quite nice. Unfortunately bathroom looked like it was last decorated about 20 years ago and had lovely peach tiles! Still it was functional so can't really complain.

Ate in the restaurant- it was fine but not really anything to write home about.

Slept ok although bed was so soft it felt like a water bed and every time my husband moved it would roll and keep on rolling long after he'd stopped moving. Aircon was not very good and barely did anything.

Next morning woke up and got ready to leave. At about 7:10 we were just leaving the room when the phone rang- it was reception telling us our taxi was here. Promptly headed to reception to check out - all was paid to took approx 1 minute. As we walked away the man at reception said the taxi had been waiting half an hour which I thought odd. Walked out of the front door to see a man getting into the only taxi waiting- thought the guy at reception must have been mistaken. Hung around for 10 mins waiting for the taxi and although plenty turned up, none were for out room number.

Headed back to reception to ask how long our taxi would be and they didn't seem to know, and when I questioned further they didn't seem to even know if it had been booked although they did suggest we share a taxi with another couple who were going to the airport but was unable to tell be which terminal they were going to or even who the couple were. By this point it was getting on for 20 mins later than we planned to leave- I stressed (getting pretty impatient and possibly sounding a little angry) that we needed to get to the airport, they had offered to book our taxi and I expected a taxi as soon as possible. At the this point the woman I was talking to rang the company and asked for a taxi immediately- why she couldn't have done this straight away have no idea!!

It took another 10 mins for the taxi to get to us from wherever it was so all in all we arrived at the airport about 30 mins later than expected (feeling immensely pleased we decided on the "plenty of time option" when booking our original taxi as I'm sure many can appreciate 30 mins is quite a while in airport terms!

So the moral of this story I suppose is double check the booking- I don't know if the original taxi we saw was for us and therefore reception misheard quarter past for quarter to? And if it was our original taxi why did it wait half an hour before asking reception where we were, and why after doing that would he leave so soon? If I stayed again I would probably call reception in the morning to check they still had the booking for the taxi.

Also on a final note, it is very easy to miss the entrance for the hotel- when you come off the roundabout there is an immediate turning- this is the hotel entrance but looks more like a kind of service entrance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around.
We have forwarded your comment to our taxi company to investigate and take appropriate action.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked the "stay, park and fly" option. The hotel itself was of good quality in terms of its facilities but the arrangements to get to the airport were not good. The private hire car firm the airport recommends, ACE cars - on both journeys had cars filled with cigarette smoke, and the car took 30 mins to turn up for the return journey and the driver was miserable and it seemed to take ages to get back to the hotel. The round trip from the airport to the hotel, pick up my car, go back to the hotel because the exit card hadn’t been set correctly, and finally leave, added an unnecessary hour to the journey home. A shuttle bus or an option to have your car dropped back at the airport would be a better option. Or even if the cars weren't filled with smoke it would be ok!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay.

I have discussed your feedback with Ace Car management and they have assured me that such incident will not be repeated and will investigate thoroughly.

Please accept apology on their behalf. Ace car will be refunding you the entire amount for the transfers.

Please contact me at operations@ramadahotelgatwick.co.uk to process the refund.

Hope to be in your service in near future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel was easy to find with a satnav and is situated just off the main road. We arrived about 7pm after a long drive in preparation for an early flight the next morning. Not wanting to go out in the car again, we ate in the restaurant which was pretty pricey but the food was decent. Had a good night's sleep in a room for 3 adults (2 single beds and a camp bed) and all beds were comfy. The taxi that the hotel organised for the morning pick up was prompt and the price was fixed (£8.50). There is nothing wrong with the hotel and it is fine for a 1 night stop over before a flight. I have stayed here and in the Premier Inn (Royal Manor) so if you are looking for an airport hotel then both are fine, just go for the one that is the bargain!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay.

We are delighted to know that we succeeded and been successful in providing you with comfortable stay.

Our menu price are in line with market place and very competitive against our competitors. We have introduced 02 for £10 lunch offer and 03 courses set meal for £22, which are real value offers and hope you will take advantage on your next visit.

Please visit our website for more value park & fly offers.

Hope to be in your service in near future.