“A worthy stay”

Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Crawley
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed here as a stop off for Gawick airport. I was very impressed by the warm reception from the staff at front desk. Going further inside, the room was well presented, very clean and well laid out. We had a good nights sleep and breakfast in the morning (continental) was well laid out and very nice.

The drive to the airport took approx 20 mins and there was no delay.

Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 26, 2014

All efficient, clean and boring.
I had my own car - so very handy, one junction away from the Gatwick turn. Traffic is ok so no need to panic if an early start.
Pub across the car park on the same site does usual chain-pub meals - not much else within walking distance to tempt me.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel is very easy to access from Gatwick airport (there's a bus that goes directly from the terminal to in front of the hotel), and also from the Three Bridges train station. The hotel room was nice and the blackout curtains were very effective at making the room dark, especially since I stayed last summer, and the sunset is quite late and I was jetlagged. There is wifi, but you do have to pay for it, probably my one concern with the hotel. The included breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Management T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Sir /Madam,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay with us in June 2013.

I am glad that you found our hotel to your liking and enjoyed your stay.

We now offer free Wi-Fi to all our guests.

i do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Firstly apologies for thinking this was going to be like a travelodge, fantastic welcome excellent directions to our room. We had a good night out and were welcomed back, which was unexpected and were wished a good night. Well we slept like babies in the softest bed ever, waking late we showered in what can only be regarded as a five star bathroom with free shower gel in a dispencer (nice touch). Watching the large flat screen telly whilst partaking of the complimentry coffee we were extremely pleased that breakfast was served till 11.30 on a Sunday, Well even at this late hour everything was still available with pleasant staff clearing tables we really felt special. On departing an effort was made by the reception staff to wish us a safe journey and thank you for staying.

We will certainly return, the hotel is in the middle of a busy roundabout but you would never know when your in this hotel. Oh and they have a bar if you wish to relax on site.

Room Tip: Try for a room away from the lift any floor
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank porterball

Dear Sir / Madam,

Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn Express Gatwick Crawley.

I am so pleased to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay and do appreciate you taking the time to mention the same in your review.

I look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel countless times, recommending it to anyone who would listen for its remarkable cleanliness, friendliness and value for money - but never will again.
This time we stayed for 11 nights, which was wonderful, right up until I discovered that they had charged someone's credit card £100 with no warning or authority.

For more information, see our e-mail to the hotel, which they have so far refused to answer, let alone give the merest hint of an apology!

I understand their point of view, but they ought to understand that any "fines" ought to be properly publicised (especially given their high level of international visitors), and ought to be aware that treating a credit card as a blank cheque amounts to fraud, especially when the room is not even booked in that name.

Until two days ago, we rated your hotel as one of the best in the world, for service and value for money. Now, we couldn't be less angry and are close to writing blistering reviews on every possible traveller website available, complaining to IHG and the Welcome Rewards amongst other people, and have the Travel Editor of The Independent most interested in our case and more than willing to take up our case and make you famous - for the wrong reason.

You have Jamie to thank for this.

This time, we stayed with you for 11 perfect nights - right up until Check Out, when Jamie threatened to call the police on us.

The reason for this is that - in a lapse of concentration - I very stupidly lit up a cigarette in the bedroom on the morning of 28th December, having momentarily forgotten that it was a non-smoking hotel. A screaming 5 year old and bags of stress are no excuse for this. It was a lapse of concentration for which I wholeheartedly apologise.

When we came to check out, I mentioned to the lovely Martyna on Reception that my husband's credit card appeared to have been charged twice for the last two nights of our stay (the previous nine nights had been booked via Hotels.com). The room was booked in my name (Calder), and my husband's card (in a totally different name) had been given purely for guarantee/security reasons. We intended to pay for those nights using a less laden credit card.

Martyna said that the "Smoking Fine" had been applied. This was absolutely the very first we had ever heard of a "Smoking Fine", and we explained that we had not known of its existence. To cut a long story short, a £100 "Fine" had been applied - with absolutely no warning and no authority - to my husband's credit card.

We apologised profusely to Martyna and asked if this might be waived as a gesture of goodwill to our having been with you for 11 nights, and having been responsible for over 70 room nights in the past two years (with our bookings and those of family and friends, to whom we had recommended you). Martyna tried her best, but the "Acting Manager" - Jamie - would not budge.

The "Smoking Fee" had been mentioned in the small print in our Check In form, but having travelled to the UK from Italy with a very tired five year old daughter, I did not check the small print, my attention having been drawn to a misspelling of my name.

Jamie's next retort - via Martyna, as he had not ventured forth from his office to discuss this with us - was that the room would be unsellable. We said to Martyna that we would like him to check the room (I doubt if there was a better smelling room in the entire hotel, as the air was scented only with a Christmas Spray and Chanel No. 5).

At this point, Jamie came blustering out of his office and his first words to us - in a very loud voice and in front of other customers in the breakfast area - were "Just to let you know, I am going to call the police now".

So much for a valued customer.

I asked him to calm down, said that calling the police was inappropriate at this time and suggested that he was perhaps not handling this in the best way from a customer service point of view. This served only to further aggravate him, with him repeating that he was going to call the police immediately.

He said that the Fine had been clearly pointed out. It had not. At any stage.

He said that there were "signs all over the place" that it was a no smoking hotel, but could not show us one in the Reception area.

He said that we ought to know there would be fines, since it had been illegal to smoke in England for the past seven years. We explained that we genuinely did not know this, as we live in Italy, and that it had been a genuine and regrettable mistake.

My husband asked him - again - to show us a sign. He couldn't, but said that he could show us one in a room. (There are no permanent signs in rooms either, although I imagine there is something in the literature provided).

Please note that we could quite easily have denied any "wrong doing", as there was no proof of such other than our own admission. We could also have quite easily cancelled the completely unauthorised "Fine" payment to my husband's credit card (surname: Tritto), but did not.

His utter lack of customer service skills and intransigence were enough to annoy even the most dedicated customer - but never before has someone threatened me with calling the police. Outrageous. The most ridiculous part of his reaction is that the FINE HAD ALREADY BEEN PAID, albeit without any warning or any authority on our part.

If you feel that the behaviour was just, and that everything was handled correctly, then that is your choice. But if you feel that as a gesture of goodwill is in order to a (previously) extremely loyal customers, we would be most grateful if you would waive the "Fine" and rescind/return the aforesaid payment.

You may also wish to check the legality of apply a charge to someone else's credit (not to the person in whose name the room is booked) with no authority or warning. We certainly will.

And you may also wish to put up some sensible, clear signs and point out the "Fine" to guests, especially those from overseas (who make up a large proportion of your guests) who, like us, will probably been blissfully unaware of English law on this matter.

I await your reply and trust that you will do the right thing.

Kind Regards,

Kate Ritchie-CALDER

Holiday Inn Crawley: 19-30 Dec, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kate R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Kate R,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I chose this hotel for my weekend leisure break because of the brand's reputation and the convenient location near to Three Bridges main-line train station for London Gatwick Airport and the south coast. I parked my car at the hotel during my two-night stay and had a pleasant Sunday day out by train. It was an easy though not particularly pleasant walk along the main road to the train station.

My partner and I had a central top-floor room overlooking the car-park and the trees beyond. We enjoyed the self-service breakfasts to the full and most components of them exceeded our expectations, but the absence of bacon from the cooked food (pork sausage, beans and scrambled egg) was disappointing.
The only complaint about our room was the faulty waste - that's a plumbing term - in the wash-basin, where there was just an ill-fitting loose plug to cover a dark hole for the outlet where you would lose any small object accidentally dropped into it such as jewellery or a contact lens. There was an unpleasant smell coming from the hole which I tried to eliminate with boiling water from the kettle. This was reported to Front Desk.
As the hotel does not serve evening dinner, we went out to the separate Harvester restaurant in front of the hotel: this was disappointing due to waiting time even when there were vacant tables, and service was below expectations.
For any readers familiar with my "sofa test" in my other reviews elsewhere - moving furniture to see if there is dirt behind or beneath - the Pass mark was exceeded here.
In my overall rating, the car parking, the location, bed comfort and the included breakfast, and the price for my flexible online reservation, all score high marks.

Room Tip: A room on an upper floor facing the car park, but not next to stairs or lifts, should be fine.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oldrambler62
Management T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Sir / Madam,
Many thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed the local area. We are ideally located to access both London and the south coast. Our excellent location enables our guests to access London and Brighton in less than 30mins by train.
As per our brand standards, all Holiday Inn Express hotels in UK serve complimentary breakfast with sausages, beans, scrambled eggs along with continental breakfast items. As you rightly pointed out, this is ideal to give you a great morning start. We do not serve bacon in any of the Holiday Inn Express brand of hotels in UK.
I will share your comments with the harvester manager. Although a completely different company, they do share our vision of 100% guest satisfaction.
I do regret the faulty waste situation and have asked my housekeeping team to use the drain cleaner and freshener more often. Regarding the size of the hole, they will now leave the blocker half way through so no items can go down the drain.
I do look forward to welcoming you back in my hotel in the near future. We constantly keep updating our special offers online and I do request you to have a look at our current offers.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had one night here on a business trip, the hotel was fine and staff friendly.

However there wasn't a lot nearby in terms of food options, high street only about twenty minutes walk away but many pubs had no food service after 7pm on a Sunday night and there weren't many other places open!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ak_On_The_Go1234
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Gatwick-Crawley, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Ak_On_The_Go1234,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. I am delighted to hear that you found our hotel fine and staff friendly. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority.

Krysllin G.