“Th most awful hotel I have ever stayed at”

Britannia Lodge Gatwick
Ranked #18 of 19 Crawley B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My Partner and I stayed at your hotel on the 15th January and had Holiday parking until the 31st January. When we arrived at the hotel we drove around for 15 minutes plus trying to find a space, often finding it difficult to manouver as cars were parked in front of others and were blocking parts of the roads. We also ate in the buffett restaurant and there was very little food, only small ammounts out and the food was barely warm. The room was adequate for staying over night but the hot water was intermittant and the room was very cold. The hotel was also sold to us as having secure parking, upon our return I found the the aerial from my car had been stolen I reported this at the front desk but the receptionist could barely be bothered to reply. We then found the car battery was dead on our car, wen we asked for assistance it was refused and we werre told we would have to use the payphone as our mobile was not working, the receptionist got extremely annoyed that we gave the hotel telephone number out as a point of contact for the breakdown and when my partner asked for a glass of water to take his medication as he has had a kidney transplant and if he does not take his tablets his body could reject the donor kidney it was refused and he was told to go and buy a fizzy drink from the machine in the gym. Also a van was blocking our car and it was only as luck would have it that the car next to us had gone by the time the breakdown cover had come that we could get out as when we asked in the reception if they could move the car they said no as everyone takes their keys with them. When we asked how we would get out the receptionist just shrugged. I have to say I am not only appauled my car had its aerial stolen but the customer service was appalling.

Room Tip: Don't choose any - go elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank leabush

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Seeing all the other reviews makes me wonder what people expect for £39. I've stayed there 3 times now, ask for an annexe room if you can true they are small but - news flash - you don't need to unpack or swing a cat, bed small but comfy not that you get much sleep if you're stressed about the flght the next day shower/bath fine. Better than the rooms in main building. Free tea and coffee in room just what you need at 3am. In the middle of nowhere so bring sandwiches or no alternative to eating there.(never done it). Good lift to Gatwick, when their own transport wasn't working had taxi for us and another couple.

Room Tip: Annexe every time
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We booked this to stay over on our return from honeymoon and were so disappointed, the decor was tired and the wallpaper peeling. There was a curtain behind the bed although no window behind it., The bed was hard and small and the duvet fitted badly.

Breakfast looked like it was cooked yesterday and to be honest we didn't even bother tasting any of it.

We asked reception to book us a taxi to the railway station which took half hour to arrive when we were told it would be 5 to 10 minutes. When I asked why they didn't use Crawley Taxis they said they had an account with a Gatwick Company. I couldn't understand this as being from Crawley thought that a Crawley firm would make sense.

To be honest I wish we'd just got a taxi all the way home instead of breaking our journey at Gatwick.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gillybubblesLB
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My advice would be only stay at this hotel if you must - It's close to Gatwick and it's rates are cheaper than travel lodge for short notice booking.

I stayed at the hotel during the first week of November 2012

I found the staff inflexible and unhelpful boardering on petty obstructive.
The hotel is run down and shabby and as a result I wasn't tempted to try the food.

The basic room is small but there was plenty of hot water and the bed was comfortable and clean.
Parking seems to be at a premium but I did find a space.

Expect drunken wedding guests at week ends.

Have tried to keep this ballanced but staff attitude was a real problem

Room Tip: The anex rooms are secluded and away from the noisy main building
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

we stayed with National holidays coach party and for £99 for 3 nights dinner, bed and breakfast was welll worth it,yes the Hotel is dated and needs updating,and there seems to be no attention to detail,carpets are worn in places and doors scuffed,the high rise lights hadnt seen a duster since christmas, look past that and you find a large room ,nice and warm with heating that you can actually control,the breakfast was sef serve buffet style with eggs(fried&scrambled) bacon,sausage,beans,tomatoes,mushrooms,black pudding.fried bread fruit juices ,cereals,porridge,ham ,cheese,yoghurts, toast what more do you need for breakfast ? and evening meal was the same style,soup and bread roll for starters then a carvery every night plus 3 other options,eg curry,bolognaise,chicken casserole,roast potatos,new potatoes and veg with a cold rice salad and pasta selection ,dessert 5 gateaux choices and fresh fruit .yes we did have to wait for a table in a queue but it wasnt a 5* restaurant we were in and it gets you chatting to other guests while in the queue,and yes they did keep running out of fried eggs and having to ask for them but they soon replenished the stocks ,too many guests in my opinion were blaming the staff ,NO they were working as hard as they could the management need to employ more staff,i did not get the name of the coloured waiter but he deserves a mention he was really nice "enjoy your day" "enjoy the rest of your evening" "your welcome"every time we were in the dining room. we used the spa too free use of no need for coins for lockers either sauna,steam,jacuzzi and pool all lovely and my husband used the gym which he was impressed with too,
I would definatley return its not 5* so dont expect it to be !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here as we only required a one night stay and some airport parking, what could go wrong????? We arrived and the place seemed ok, we opted to pay up front for dinner and breakfast as we could get a better deal, that was our first mistake, I presume the only rason they do that is because if anyone actually saw the Buffet that is availiable there is no chance you would try to eat it. Over cooked, luke warm, tastless and generally unappitizing. It was all from packet/powder and you could tell as it still had the lumps, follow this with the filthy cutlery i had and the soulless staff that obviously didn't want to be there or really care about anything that was going on you could say wedidn't really enjoy our meal. Our room on the other had was just as bad, as we walked towards it it was so musty it was hard to breath and only got stronger as we went in to our room, it felt damp, cold and dirty and hadden't been decorated for about 20 years. Filthy bathroom with no hot water and we both woke in the morning with headachesfrom the room. All in all not a very goodstay the only plus was it's close to the airport, they do long stay arking and it's not too expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a large group. Check in was fairly quick and hassle free. The floor of lift was dirty, needed a hoover and someone had left litter in the corner. The double room was OK in size but very very dated. The wallpaper was peeling of the walls and the extractor fan in the bathroom did not work. As we stayed on the hottest day of the year (so far) we were devastated to find the air-conditioning was not working!!. The bed was like sleeping on concrete. The bathroom was grubby with hairs in the bath and it all looked rather tired and dated. The food in the restaurant was good, plenty of choice and was hot but there was a long wait for a table to become vacant and the staff did not appear to have a procedure to seat guests. Definitely needs some TLC and/or a visit from The Hotel Inspector.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nickyf1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawley
Airport Inn Gatwick
2 mi away
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
4 mi away
Sofitel London Gatwick

Been to Britannia Lodge Gatwick? Share your experiences!