“Not what you expect from the internet advert”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crawley
Britannia Lodge Gatwick
Ranked #19 of 19 Crawley B&B and Inns
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Not what you expect from the internet advert”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

Stayed Aug boiling hot night no air con in the room or anywher in the hotel really hot and uncomfy first impressions of the hotel was good. looked great from outside and the reception area booking in was a shambles booked two double rooms and paid the £20 extra each room for a upgrade total waste of money only diffrence between the upgrade and normal room is a spa bath which we found out due to them only booking us one room even though we had printed recipt for two rooms so ended up with one standard and one upgrade all in all got sorted that wasnt the worsed though got to our rooms to try out the luxery spa bath filled the bath and turned on the spa and low and behold the bath filled with black limescale that spat out of the spa jets "yuk" so emptied the bath which all the muck stuck to the sides went to reception to get it sorted and was told "carnt you just wipe it" great you go away and you have to clean your own bath staff have no intrest in the customers hotel is dirty very disapointed im not normally one to complain about silly things but really disapointed me with the unhelpful staff and hygine of this hotel

Room Tip: still have smoking rooms which if your not a smoker avoid the whole two floors
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nikkiandrob80s

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

I arrived in the early hours of the morning only to discover there was a nice walk in the dark to the block behind the main hotel where the Lodge was located. As soon as I opened the door the smell of stale cigarette smoke greeted me. I then had to drag my case up a filthy staircase and struggle to get through the fire door to my room. What a lovely surprise that was. NOT. The room smelt like an ashtray, there was a carrier bag over the smoke detector and a prior guest's urine deposit on the toilet seat. I was hardly surprised that the smoke detectors went off twice during the night. Having decided this hotel was somewhat less that satisfactory in the cleanliness department, I made the decision to ensure all my belongings were locked safely in my case whilst I went into London for the day. What a good decision that was. Upon my return, I found that my case and bag had been removed from the wardrobe where I had left them, together with the few toiletries I had left out. These had been stacked near the room door. Having spoken with another guest at the hotel, his personal belongings had been put into boxes and he'd been moved to another room when he'd been away for the day. I have only one suggestion to anyone contemplating staying in this hotel. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Maria186229
swansea
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

We booked for one night as we were returning from holidays too late to travel. I booked the hotel, best room available deal but was put in the lodge. Stains on the wall (questionable origin) stain on the carpet looked like blood, ripped sheet. Reception didn't give us the smoking room requested, and its hard to get a smoking room these days, so very disappointed when we had specifically requested one. Breakfast was adequate but so busy; waiting and queuing to coffee, toast and juice. There was a dead squashed seagull in the car park which we crossed dragging our bags in the dark on the way to the lodge. Tiny room, tiny bed; not even a 3/4 bed; would have been ok for one, but way to small for two. Cost us 30 quid in taxi fairs which would have been better spent on a closer cleaner hotel.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adventurewoman
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

My wife and I attended a 60th birthday celebration. We were sent to the dungeons - do not stay in any room with 11 in front unless you are a smoker.They still have smoking rooms!!!!! We were reallocated the "exec floor". Bathroom had tiles missing, wardrobe doors had fallen off their runners, bedroom furniture appalling. Dark, dank and dreadful. The party started with sparkling wine which had not been chilled. The obesse waiteress got all the arrangemnts wrong in bringing people up for the food and it was whisked away 35 minutes later so some people never ate and none of us got seconds - the food was supposed to be there for 2 hours! Double glazing old and leaking. Dining room floor was sticky and horible, breakfast passible. They do a deal for free parking for two weeks so there is no parking for the short stayers. We had to stagger to a field in the pouring rain. I have travelled the world and this is the worst 3 star hotel I have ever stayed in and is not value for money! It does not deserve a one star.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank exporterkeith
Swansea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2010

The staff did thier best it was as clean as they could make it, they were all very pleasant.The architect must have been shot????It was gloomy the rooms were horrible with the thinest D.Glazing ever making them noisy (M23) and very cold even with the extra radiator, even the floor was freezing.While we wern't actually poisonned...........An urgent total refurb(we've heard the same about another Britannia)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pd8
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

This is the worst place I have ever stayed. It was so depressingly awful I was tempted to get back in the £60 taxi to North London. The 'Lodge' is basically a prefab building with 'rooms' that are like caravan cabins. It is on the side of the motorway. Noisy and uncomfortable. The double bed was not a double bed - we could barely both fit in it (both 'normal' size, honest). The 'restaurant' was a carvery that looked and smelled like a school canteen - would rather have gone hungry. They do serve bar snacks too which were passable although the whole bar area as a hint of 'waiting room' about it. No atmosphere whatsoever and throughly depressing.
I was of the opinion that it doesn't matter where you stay the night before an early flight but it really does. I wouldn't hesitate to pay double for something better in the future. Don't book this hotel!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple