“Yet again a wonderful retreat”

Alexander House Utopia Spa
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Yes the food is expensive and so is the bar, but what do you expect? It's a five star hotel! It's lovely to get away here and enjoy comfortable beds and well kitted out rooms. Spa as usual is wonderful - although water could be warmer in the evening. Gym still got a good array of kit. Thanks again Alexander; We will be back very soon!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

A luxurious spa with excellent facilities. I enjoyed two treatments a back scrub wihich was blissful and a facial which was okay. The lunch was very nice - if full of calories.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had been doing a lot of training for an off-road marathon so thought we deserved a nice relaxing spa day. Alexander House and Utopia Spa is set in beautiful grounds and as soon as you step through the doors you feel a million miles away from anywhere. Upon our arrival we were given an overview of our day and shown around the spa. We then rather over-energetically signed up for one of the classes which I thought was going to be along the lines of pilates but was a lot more hardcore so certainly woke us up for the day! We then had a couple of hours around the lovely pool area and in the jacuzzis before a massage before lunch. Everything about the place just shouts out relaxation so we felt well and truly relaxed by the time we went for lunch.

Lunch was included as part of our visit, however I did think the restaurant were a bit cheeky with their extra charges. We had a starter and main meal included, however anything on top of that was additional so we ordered a portion of chips to share (which we paid £4.50 for and got 6 chips – I don’t normally count the number of chips I’m given but when you’re only given 6 you can’t really help but count them!), similarly the extra portion of greens we ordered was tiny and again cost £4.50. We weren’t drinking alcohol but were still charged £4 for a small bottle of water to go with our meal!

A day at Alexander House and Utopia Spa is a lovely relaxing experience and I wouldn’t hesitate in visiting again, however with the prices they charge you’d like to rethink that basic things like a bottle of water with lunch wouldn’t be charged as extra!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've been to Alexander house before and it's incredibly consistent and they deserve their new 5* tagline! The people were lovely, the food was AMAZING (turkey burger is a revalation!) I will be going back again and have no doubt that it will be as good then.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Alexander House charges premium prices but unfortunately, on this occasion delivered a less than premium experience.

There were problems with the spa. The outdoor jacuzzi was so cold that it was not useable. The indoor jacuzzi was only half full of water and barely useable.

The standard of service in 'Reflections' restaurant was poor. When we arrived for our evening meal there was a sign saying 'wait to be seated' and wait we did - for what seemed like ages. Various staff passed us by and not one of them said "someone will be with you in a minute" or anything. When our main courses arrived I made a simple request for some condiments which was obviously then forgotten about because I finally had to ask someone else. Approx 10 minutes later my condiments finally arrived, by which time my wife had finished her main course.

We then encountered a similar situation at breakfast the following day when again we asked for some condiments. They took so long to arrive (5-10mins) that breakfast was almost cold, and the jar of HP sauce I was given was actually out of date as well!!!

There was also some noisy plumbing in the room above us as it made quite a noise early on the Sunday morning.

On the plus side, the beds are lovely though and it would be a really superb place if they could fix the jacuzzi's and sort out the service in the restaurant.

I did inform Alexander House of these problems so that they were aware, and the manager phoned up to discuss things further.