All reviewsoscars restaurantsteaka large car parkbath and showerbusiness triplarge roomroom was clean and comfortablebreakfast was excellenttop floorone night stayfull englishplenty of parkingwould stay againevening mealfour poster bedrestaurant stafftea and coffee
Reviewed July 27, 2018 via mobile

We stopped in here after travelling from Scotland for 5 hours. It was about 8.30pm, so wasn’t sure if food was still being served. Walked in and received a warm welcome, sat down and ordered. We both had lamb shoulder. This was amazing food and a great sized portions for us hungry souls. A little bit more expensive than the average chain restaurant, but well worth those couple of pounds more.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at the White House for a business trip after a long drive from Devon.
I was greeting on first name terms upon my arrival which I found very friendly.

My room was a good size and despite the outside temperature of 30 degrees, the room was comfortable.

My evening meal was informal and tasty. It was well presented and they seem genuinely interested that I was enjoying it.

I had a pleasant refreshing night sleep and the breakfast was excellent.

The overall atmosphere at the White House is relaxed, friendly and customer focussed.

I would stay again.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2018 via mobile

On the occasion of a working dinner with some colleagues, I enjoyed an italian "bruschetta" with oil and tomato, not so bad, even if bread was too much "soft". Sirloin steak was instead very good, the meat was tender and tasty. Good and fast service.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2018

Stayed here in a group of 4 whilst in the area working. On first view the building and its huge beer garden are really nice, however it was clear upon arrival that the hotel side of things is an after thought and the Bar/Restaurant is the main focus. Left to wait in reception for 5 minutes whilst various member of staff buzzed past us without acknowledgement. We then had a lukewarm welcome from a young lady that was more interested playing with her hair then checking us in. She then passed us over the duty manager who was friendly and attentative - we think he realised that his colleague was slightly unprofessional.

Rooms were very small and quite tired , with very old single beds. However the room was clean as was the bathroom which had a lovely hot, fast shower.In the night the shower head dripped very fiercely to the point where the towel I used to dampen the sound saturated that it continued to drip throughout the night! I did inform the night porter in the morning and it was sorted by the time I returned that evening which ended in a better nights sleep.

Eating in the restaurant was quite disappointing. The menu appeared nice but not completely fresh. I had the mozzarella sticks to start which were clearly out of the packet and my side salad on my mains was very dehydrated to the point there was cracks in my cucumber? I did really enjoy the 'He Man' Burger which I would recommend to anyone either Hungry or likes eating challenges! The service was very slow and took 45 minutes for our starters and another 20 minutes for the mains? The locals clearly took presidence here!

Breakfast however was a very different experience and had to say enjoyed it on both mornings. Cold buffet on offer with cereals, toast and juice as well as order from Menu hot breakfast with everything from Kippers to Full English all washed down with nice fresh coffee!

If you are a fan of independents The White House is ok, would I go back? Probably not for a break but happy to use as a base when working locally.

Room Tip: Go Upstairs
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2018

Notwithstanding other reviews, I was disappointed with the overall condition and standards of service at this hotel restaurant. My room was very small for a country hotel and lacked any charm whatsoever. Perhaps I was unlucky in this regard, as I see other people report their accommodation as "clean tidy and modern" - although not knowing what experience they have of modern hotels, it's hard to tell whether this is accurate - what I can say is that my room was in urgent need of redecoration being somewhat tired with things such as the "strip" light over the sink not working for example, toilet seat loose etc etc. so such rooms do exist even if others are OK!
As far as food and drink was concerned - the bar food is OK if basic - whilst food in the restaurant is very similar albeit dressed up a little by description. Given the output I would strongly suspect that the chef's key skills are his familiarity with the deep fryer and the microwave - (although two tomato soups were superheated so even the latter is questionable!) In other words if you do choose to stay here don't expect any culinary surprises (other than very meagre portions of anything which doesn't come out of a bag and is therefore pre measured!)
On the plus side, the young staff were all very friendly even if they did frequently get orders wrong despite some clear and simple instructions - e.g at breakfast "3 coffees please" (two pots of tea arrived), at dinner "3 Lamb Henrys please" (Three lasagne arrived!) The delay caused by this latter mistake was rectified to an extent, by a free bottle of house wine, but sadly this was not volunteered but only agreed following a complaint, despite the fact my party effectively had to eat in two sittings! In summary given that we spent over £500 in two nights at the White House, I was disappointed by the experience as a whole.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled with family