“Great week At The International”

International Hotel Telford
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Telford
“Great week At The International”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Just returned home after a week at the International Hotel whilst on a training course a couple of miles down the road.Despite a group of 20 youngsters checking in, the staff had the sense to check solo guests in at other end of the desk so well done.Room was very nice, superbly clean and comfortable.Rooms are currently being re kitted out and my rooms new iron and board hadn't been put in but it was there all ready on my return later on.Apparently there was a problem with the heating and I know many people including my colleague had a real problem with it.This is really unacceptable ,especially when there is snow on the ground outside and it was very unfair of senior management / owners to do pretty much nothing about it, which is easy when you aren't on the front line, and let the front line reception staff take all the stick and abuse for your mismanagement of the situation...shame on you.
Having said all that, my room wasn't a bit cold, it was perfect.What wasn't perfect though was the complete lack of mobile signal and wi if signal only if I stood behind the room door, outside the bathroom. Imagine if I'd payed for a weeks worth.Id be cross if it was free and hadn't worked!!
Here is an idea for you...create an Internet cafe, do some nice things to eat with your drink, give free wi fi for the day on purchase of a beverage..not quite free wi fi which it should be anyway,but not bad.
A big thank you to the staff who were absolutely fantastic, helpful friendly every single one of them and I'm sure have helped in securing repeat business.
A bit strange going over to the holiday inn for dinner but goodness me what a great restaurant. Roasted pork loin with the best crackling ever and the baked strawberry cheesecake, lovely and this on the cheaper three course meal deal.Went onto the maim menu twice and had the sirloin with handcut chips ,baby tomatoes and big flat mushrooms...superb.
Thank you Dave for looking after us too.
Deep joy to find the continental breakfast in the main hotel included bacon, perfect.
Overall then, a few things need sorting but im looking forward to returning again, may even bring the family up one weekend for a bit of shopping. Once again very well done to the staff and thank you.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Reg

Many thanks for such a comprehensive review of your stay with us. It was really pleasing to read that you had such an enjoyable stay.

We were all sorry about the issue with the heating on what was a particularly cold and difficult night, but plans were in place to help guests as much as possible.

When a guest does purchase an internet voucher all staff are reminded to inform the guest it only works off wireless in the public areas before they allow the guest to buy the voucher, I'm sorry if this was not explained to you. You may also like to know that we have the offer when you buy a hot beverage you can get a 2hour voucher for just £1.

I hope to welcome you back soon with your family - the indoor shopping centre is ideal, with over 150 retail outlets to explore.

Kind regards, Lis Frost, Guest relations manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there with my partner while on a business trip, On arrival we had to wait over 30 mins to get checked in, Staff member was too concerned about guests in the bar, Got to rooms it was extremely cold.

Wanted to iron some clothes to go out for the evening, could not find iron which was described on website as in the room, on asking for one the response was "Sure it is not in your room and fine I will get one sent to you in a bit".

On arrival back to hotel the room was even colder I could not stay in it without wearing my coat, on asking the staff member if the heating could be raised the response was " NO it's broken!!!" And then to hand me a oil filled heater which did not even heat the room a couple of hours later.

No mobile phone signal and I would of thought that a business customer would of got a room on a higher floor so he could use the mobile phone.

There "Superfast Internet" is not its very slow, don't use it just a waste of money.

On a whole it was a very poor stay and I will never stay there again and I would recommend you not too either.

Responses to this comment can be sent to simon.lenton@ntxgroupltd.co.uk

• Stayed February 2013
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Mr Lenton

Thank you for drawing our attention to some shortfalls in service during your stay and, as you know, we have corresponded with you directly about these things to offer our apologies. Please be assured that all your feedback has been taken on board and will be actioned appropriately.

I do hope you will give us an opportunity to restore your faith by returning to stay with us on a future occasion.

Please let me or my colleague Sam know if you plan to return so we can assist you with your reservation.

Kind regards, Lis Frost
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Recently stayed at the International Hotel for 2 nights for a conference. Firstly not easy to find the hotel car park, it seems that the Holiday Inn next door had the monopoly on signage.

Once the car was parked went to check in there was over 20 of us in the queue and only 1 person on reception, not good service. Upon arrival at the room it seemed ok, but upon inspecton the following came to light.

1)Toilet roll holder falling off the wall
2)Numerous tiles around the skirting of the bathrom broken, actually cut my toe getting out of the shower
3)Only 1 tea sachet and 1 coffee sachet.....
4)Sink drain shower not in the sink on day 2 but next to my toothbrush.....

Slept ok, but the following day the continental breakfast was quite bland and uninspiring...... I also asked for the room not to be made up, but upon arrival back at my room that evening I found the room had been made up.

Overall ok, but would have travelled further for a better hotel. ie 20 yrds to the Holiday were the service was far superior...

Room Tip: stay at the Holiday Inn
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Figment2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us recently and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.
I was sorry that you had difficulties parking and were delayed on check in for your conference. The car park is shared with the Holiday Inn as we are all part of the same complex, Southwater Event Group, which also encompasses the International Centre.
Thank you for drawing to our attention the toilet roll holder and the cracked wall tile which have now been passed on to our maintenance team for action.
Our Housekeeping team has asked me to pass on their apologies for the shortfalls in tea and coffee as this is not their usual standard, but they would have been very happy to rectify this for you. They have also apologised for leaving the sink plug on the shelf which was their error.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Kind regards, Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for three nights and thought the hotel was ok.
The room was clean, tidy but tired. The AC didn't turn down, or I couldn't work it! (284)
The breakfast was awful! Cold bacon, stale bread and really bad coffee.
Our work event booked all three hotels and I wish I'd have been put in the holiday inn, much much better!

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank David L
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Dmlt

I was very sorry to read that you had not enjoyed your breakfast experience during your three-day conference. I wish that we had been aware of your concerns so that we could resolve things for you. Nevertheless please accept my apologies for this disappointment.

Should you be planning a return visit to Telford at any time, please don't hesitate to contact me direct so I can assist you with your reservation.

Kind regards,
Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager
Loughborough, UK
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stay here often and it is my favourite hotel in Telford, though the price can vary dramatically, up to £145 which is far too much. The shower is excellent, the rooms are spacious and the bed is always very comfortable. I don't know how someone can compare it to Telford Travelodge as it is a much higher standard and also includes continental breakfast. It is also better than it's sister hotel Grey's which is usually more expensive for a smaller room with no breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Steven A

Thank you for your kind review which has been passed on to all the team and we're glad that you had a comfortable stay. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I did not have a good experience at this hotel; it’s a similar standard to a Travelodge except you get tea in your room. My shower didn't work and after asking twice for somebody to look into it while I was at a business conference, nothing was done and nobody let me know what was going on. I had to shower early morning in my friend’s room next door and the hotel was full so couldn't move. Do not stay in room 475!! The hotel décor is dreary and depressing, you don’t get any Vodafone signal in the rooms and the wifi is £2 an hour!!! Not good if you are travelling on business and need to stay connected. Finally you also have to go next door to the Holiday Inn to use the leisure facilities and get a cooked breakfast. Disappointing for a business trip and couldn't wait to get home!

Room Tip: Do not choose room 475, the shower does not work!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Natty Noodles

I was really sorry to hear that you had not had a good experience when you stayed with us and do apologise that your shower was not working or fixed during your stay which was unacceptable.

I would like to assure readers that the shower is in full working order.
Our WIFI charges start at £2.00 for two hours, which guests can log in and out until the 120 minutes are used up.

The International Hotel is not a full service hotel so it does not have a leisure club but breakfast which is included in the rate, is Continental in style. However for this particular group, the organiser had arranged for guests to be upgraded and take full English breakfast at the Holiday Inn as a special benefit.

We are able to offer the facility for guests who wish to use the Leisure Club at the Holiday Inn to pay a supplement to take advantage of this.

Once again please accept my apologies for the disappointment you experienced and if there is anything further I can do to assist, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Lis Frost, Guest Relations Manager, lis.frost@southwatereventgroup.com
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at the International on business late last year and was very pleasantly surprised by the attitude of the staff. They went the extra mile to help me with my business needs and were very proficient in doing so!
I was presenting at a Convention in teh Centre next door the following day so the proximity of the hotel was a real bonus too!

Room Tip: None of the rooms have single beds - just pull out cots - so be aware if you are travelling as 2 sam...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ElisabethFrost, Guest Relations Manager at International Hotel Telford, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Gill

Thank you for taking time to post a review following your stay and I'm pleased that you found the team to be friendly and helpful, your kind remarks have been passed on to them.
Its ideal to stay with us if you are attending a conference or event at the International Centre as we are part of Southwater Event Group and located on the same site which makes access very easy as you found.
Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.