“Stayed for 1 night, charged for 2 and wasn't refunded!! Robbery comes to mind!!”

Telford Whitehouse Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I was greeted by a clueless receptionist on my arrival when I first got there who did not know if payment had been taken already. I provided my bank details upon her request as she was going to speak to her colleague and do whatever was necessary. Long story short I got charged an extra £49.75 as payment was already taken and I have been chasing them for a refund for over a week and by chasing I mean I've been ringing and e-mailing them every day (don't expect any customer service or diligence). Anyway they got back to me today claiming that I spent that money in the restaurant, which I did not even step inside of!! I am absolutely outraged and think it would only be right to share with you my experience. I am £50 shorter than I should be, I've wasted a hour or two writing e-mails and making phone calls but worse of all I've got that low feeling you have when you get mugged. To summarise: Lack of Customer Service, Lack of Records, Lack of Diligence. Just makes me think how many other people they might have done this too. I genuinely hope this review will turn a few people away from this hotel as these guys robbed me of my hard earned money!! Just bare in mind when booking you may be paying £49.75 more than you might think...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura W, Revenue Manager at Telford Whitehouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for your review, however, I do think that the comments are a little unfair. I understand that there was initial confusion on check in but the hotel would never ask for bank details. It is hotel procedure to take a swipe of a card on arrival, we do ask every guest for this as do most hotels. Unfortunately, the restaurant charge was posted onto the incorrect room, which is what the £49.75 charge was. When you initially spoke to my colleague, she advised this was a restaurant charge and would check with accounts as to what the issue was but due to shift patterns it did take a couple of days to resolve. At this point you called the hotel and spoke to myself. Your card was then immediately refunded (before your review was posted on TripAdvisor) and an apology for the confusion. We do pride ourselves on our customer service and I can assure you that your experience is a one off. Again, please accept my apologies.

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week with a group of us and this was my experience :
The hotel was easy to find and plenty of parking, it looks quite new and modern on the outside and the leisure facilities are attached to the hotel complex and is also used for the local community.
The reception area was welcoming but a little small and the receptionist was pleasant and friendly, she didn't give a lot of information but handed me an envelope so I assumed it was all in there - which I discovered afterwards was just my check in card and room key ( would of been nice to of been told breakfast/dinner times, location of bar/resturant, info about wifi - non of this was mentioned)
On arriving to my room it was a bit of a faff working out the key card but once in I was really impressed with the large spacious double room I had for the week, there was plenty of cupboard/drawer space, a nice tv, two tables and chairs! All the facilities listed were good. After a little travel to get there I thought I'd make a cup of tea whilst unpacking.... The cups were so grubby even after a wash in the sink I still didn't fancy using them!
The bathroom was well presented too but on closer inspection through out the week there were some damp patches in there that really could do with being addressed and the cups in there were also dirty. The shower itself was great and really powerful, although the controls were abit awkward to use when in the shower. I did have a lipstick stained towel left for me one day too which was slightly off putting!
The general cleanliness was good but throughout the week I noticed things like the cobwebs and areas they didn't vacuum.
The only other bad thing about the room was the football ground for Telford United backed into it and whilst there were a few games in whilst I stayed this didn't cause a problem but did was there lighting which was 24 hours glaring into the room making it hard for me to settle down for the night!
As a group we were eating in the restaurant each night and with being a group of around 20 we pre ordered our food to make it easier but the service was so slow, the staff were friendly and pleasant but just didn't seem bothered if one persons dish was brought out way after the others. Slugs would of been quicker. The food though was very nice and if your not in a rush its worth the wait, breakfast is self service and there is something for everyone and a good standard.
The bar was tiny for the size of the hotel and there was only ever one person serving so needless to say took an age to get served especially as one bar man didn't quite get the first come an que system and just served people randomly! The drinks were VERY expensive too.
The other issue was the wifi information posted is mis-leading it says its chargeable but you can just get a free code from reception, although it was quite slow.
Overall it was a good stay, but a few niggles, if your looking for one-two nights stay perfect, anything longer you'll end up with a bad back from the lumpy bed.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that overall you had a good stay. Regarding the 'niggles' as you call them, I have passed your comments onto the relevant departments to look into. Once again, thank you for leaving your feedback, we do appreciate honest feedback in order to improve our service.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Twin Bedroom lack of spare pillows, very good staff the best thing about this hotel. Car park a distance for people with a disability. Breakfast was worth the money only if you filled up.A tight turn to get into hotel carpark.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main road.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback, especially your comments about our staff. I have passed your comments onto the team.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel on the 9th of March as we were going to a car show on the 10th. The hotel has a welcoming and clean reception, girl on the desk was nice too. The rooms were nice, the shower was fantastic and the beds were comfortable. Only thing really was the price of the food and drink. It was very expensive but we didnt eat there after we seen the prices! Overall good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your TripAdvisor response regarding your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I had always longed to go to a 'Murder Mystery' and we were not dissappointed with our visit to this hotel where a deal was offered via Groupon for a Dinner, Bed and Breakfast and a Bottle of Wine plus the Show of all the actors taking part in the mystery. The food and service was excellent and the whole event was very enjoyable. We dressed up ourselves (as the theme was 'The Wedding') and many guests thought we were part of the act (and of course we played along) We thought others would have made an effort but never mind we had a lot of fun. (even won a box of choccies, which we shared with everyone on our table). A great night. We also used another Grouon Voucher we had for this hotel for 'Afternoon Tea' which we both agreed was delightful. Accommodation was more than adequate though we must say walls and doors are very thin and conversations can be plainly heard through them from our room and walking along corridors (Mind what you say). Staff were brilliant. A great event and an excellent place to stay.We reccommend.

Room Tip: First Floor Rooms are on same level as restuarant and function rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael M

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your stay and our Murder Mystery night. I have passed your comments on to the staff and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My friend and I attended a Murder Mystery Dinner plus overnight stay. I can honestly say everything was perfect. The room was comfortable and clean, the leisure center was very good, the food faultless, both Dinner and Breakfast. The staff were all very helpful and polite, it was nice to see the staff were local, they were very knowledgeable. Well Done to all of you.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your recent stay. Your lovely comments have been passed on to the staff concerned. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a great hotel for visiting the Ironbridge and local area.The rooms are spacious and very clean.The facilities at the hotel including the leisure centre are excellent. The food is very good at a reasonable price.The staff could not do enough for the guests and were very friendly and we would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at Telford Whitehouse. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.