“Half day African zoo keeper experience”

Hoo Farm Animal Kingdom
Ranked #2 of 40 things to do in Telford
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

The African Half Day Experience 7th December 2014

We booked this experience for my son's 12th birthday. He took a close friend and my husband and I went along for adult supervision.

The keeper was very knowledgable and encouraged the boys to handle the animals while providing details of their background and why these animals have found their home at the farm.

To be able to handle the meerkats, Kovu and Uuka was outstanding and to see them getting comfy on the boys was something magical. This was their favourite part of the experience.

The boys loved the Lemurs too which reminded them of King Julian from the Madagascar film. They loved being up close feeding them and couldn't believe how gentle they were. We went onto meet the Servals and Pythons. I'm scared of snakes but the keeper made sure they were away from me and this made sure the boys enjoyed this part too.

I would recommend this to anyone who goes to zoos or animal parks and left feeling they they would love to be able to safely handle friendly animals which have been hand reared.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,462)
All reviews
"meerkat experience"
in 439 reviews
"half day keeper experience"
in 71 reviews
in 135 reviews
"fell asleep"
"christmas present"
in 44 reviews
"answered all our questions"
in 24 reviews
"my birthday"
in 39 reviews
"feed the animals"

Reviewed December 8, 2014

Absolutely brilliant day out we meet a number of different animals and the guide was very informative. You could tell that all the animals are well looked after and that everyone is very passionate and love what they do.

Having looked at similar experiences the value for money was outstanding and i think they could charge even more for what you get.

Yes it is a little run down but to me that just says that the animals come first and rather than decorating they would rather spend the money on the animals welfare.

We will definitely be coming back.

Reviewed December 5, 2014

We arrived to a warm and friendly welcome, received a health and safety briefing, and were then escorted to our first part of the experience - a close encounter with wild meerkats as they took food and jumped on our laps as we sat within the enclosure, together with two keepers. Then we were taken to an open enclosure to be introduced to the two hand-reared meerkats, We were able to handle them and they cuddled up to us, enjoying snuggling within our jackets. It was a unique and magical experience - much to be recommended to anyone who is fond of wildlife.

1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed December 3, 2014 via mobile

Lovely to see animals and being able to help with feeding etc. Expected it to be abit more polished for price being charged to enter over 2's charged the same as an adult?

See more reviews
Reviewed December 2, 2014

I brought the meerkat experience for my husband as part of a discount on wowcher. ️
After booking a date, I had to change it which was done without any problems. Thank you.

We will definitely be back in the future as it, it is such a lovely place. A must for animal lovers! So many to see and clearly well loved.

The meerkats were amazing and I loved the fact that they were not forced to sit on us during handling time but allowed to go where they wanted. Exactly how it should be!

Was such a lovely afternoon and my husband and I look forward to a visit in the future.

1  Thank Cossigirl