“Meerkat experience”

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Meerkat experience”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We received a voucher for the meerkat experience,my wife was excited at the thought of seeing meerkats up close. I was a bit more reserved thinking we would only get to see the meerkats, how wrong I was. It was one of the most enjoyable encounters ever. Not only did we get to handle the meerkats but we fed them as well. I highly recommend the visit, and if the opportunity arises again I will be there like a shot. The keepers were very knowledgable and very accommodating answering any questions etc. I left having been converted to a fan of meerkats.

• Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“might go back in the summer and hope its better”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Just on our way, our 3 year old loved it, feeding all the animals albeit wet and muddy it wasn't very busy. I'm presuming is a lot cleaner in the summer. Didn't really pay much attention to the things on and didn't really see much on regarding the 'activities' whilst walking about. May go back in the summer, I expect sunshine will make a difference. The biggest complaint I have there and I don't know why these places do it, but we paid nearly £16 for what I can only say was the worse tasting most expensive food I've ever brought, £3.50 for a cornish pasty, an unbelievable £2.50 for a sausage, all of course microwaved and a box of 24 in a corrugated card microwavable box of chips that crumbled like sawdust, our son spat them asking if they were pretend (out the mouths of babe's) £1.40 for a bottle of water and £1.30 for an ashtray tasting vending machine coffee. Looking at the board even a jacket potato was £3 with 1 topping, my son turned his nose up at every mouthful and he loves sausage rolls. Hoo farm you should be ashamed at the cost and quality of that food we would of got better and cheaper in a lay by on the way home. TAKE YOU OWN FOOD!

Visited March 2014
Will D, Owner at Hoo Farm Animal Kingdom, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Hi WeezyAnn,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your day with us, although it is a shame that you missed our activities. I am, however, very concerned regarding your comments about our Tea Room.

At Hoo Farm, we aim to excel in every area, ultimately as this was our opening weekend, there is always the inevitable teething problems. However, I will be investigating this matter further. The fries you were served are 'fries 2 go' and should have only been served in an emergency (if one of our fryers isn't working) as far as I am aware, this wasn't the case yesterday. Otherwise, we usually offer homemade chips.

I fully understand your comments regarding the prices for the food you received. Our prices are in line with other local attractions, however when the food is sub-standard, as it obviously was for your visit, I can appreciate your annoyance.

Needless to say, I will be investigating this further and I will personally ensure the quality of food returns to what is expected. If you want to contact me at will@hoofarm.com regarding your concerns, I would be very interested in discussing them.

Kind Regards,

William Dorrell
Partner
Redditch, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My friend and I visited this attraction today for the half day zoo experience. It was a great chance to get up close and interact with a variety of animals. I love meerkats and my friend loves lemurs so this was an ideal experience. The staff are caring and knowledgeable and allow plenty of time for everyone to get as much out of the experience as possible. There were lots of improvements being made during our visit, but this did not interfere with our enjoyment. There is a maximum of eight per group and this is ideal as we all had time to interact, talk to the keepers and take plenty of pictures. My only critism, and its a minor one, is the fact I am a wheelchair user. It is not an easy place to get around but it is possible. Fortunately I am able to stand and walk very short distances so was able to negotiate the more difficult to access areas. However do not be put off as all the staff were very helpful and I did not miss out on anything. My poor friend was pretty shattered pushing me over the loose gravel, but this was freshly laid and will be easier to negotiate as it gets compressed.
Overall a fabulous experience.

79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“memorable afternoon”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Went with my partner for a Meerkat experience,many thanks to catherine for a lovely experience we had a lovely half an hour handling one of the little meerkat brothers,we then went and fed a group of meerkats which was another great experience.We will be looking to book predator experience too.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Memories you won't forget! For all ages.”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I booked my friend and me in for an encounter via an Amazon Local voucher. It was from 10 AM to 1 PM, and included a drinks break. You are split into groups of 8 participants plus their observers. We went to see the owls first. Staff tell you all about a number of birds of prey and then you get the chance to hold and stroke a small owl (called Specsaver) who had been in the Harry Potter films. It was so sweet that he started chirruping to the keeper when she went into the enclosure, and funny watching the keeper trying to catch him.
Next we went to see the reptiles. We got to hold a medium size snake each and then an 8 foot python. Amazing experience. Participants then get a free soft drink each and we all sat outside in the sun surrounded by noisy cockatiels etc. You could also purchase chocolate, cookies or meals such as hot dogs and chips.
We then got to hold and stroke a 3 month old meerkat. So cute and such a character. And then all went into the lemur enclosure to feed them fruit. This was my favourite part.
If it was raining there would be little shelter, except for the couple of small dining areas. When we visited the farm wasn’t yet open to the public so there was a lot of preparation still being done. The only toilet available was the disabled toilet. The floor of which was wet and slippery – not the best idea. No soap available in here. Someone had the bright idea to paint the handrails in the café area just before we were due our break. No warning signs were put out resulting in one woman having a green hand and another getting paint on her coat. Not the best idea.
It’s not the best place for wheelchair users. It has gravelled pathways which were ok where it was thin, but really hard going where they’d laid it thicker. You’d also have struggled with steps in the room where they had the meerkat encounter, and getting into the lemur enclosure. There were also lots of branches and cones on the pathways which made it harder too. They just need to bear these things in mind before they open to the public. It would affect pushchairs too.
Overall though, the staff were helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Every participant had plenty of time with each animal and we weren’t rushed. I spent twice as much money for a zookeeper day at Twycross, and this was loads better. At Twycross you weren’t allowed to touch anything (other than the cleaning stuff as you were expected to clean out enclosures). I’d recommend it as something special for all ages.