“Meerkat Experience”

Hoo Farm Animal Kingdom
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Telford
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went here yesterday for a meerkat experience and to say it was amazing would be a fair assessment. Jasper the meerkat was lovely and we got a full 30 mins to cuddle him and get to know his cheeky character! We then had a further 30 mins to go into the wild meerkat enclosure and feed them. They climbed all over us as we fed them. Aaron the keeper that took us was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and made it a wonderful experience. He also chatted away to us about the other animals as we walked through the farm. The staff here really make you feel special and in no way rush you off! The animals are well fed, well looked after and well loved, which is the best thing about hoo farm. Thanks so much for a brilliant time.

3  Thank Gemma F

Reviewed September 26, 2013

a dirty and expensive farm. ladies toilets were so muddy my toddler slipped over. why is a child ticket same price as adults nearly. needs a good over haul. won't be going back. many other places better and cheaper. cafe is naff too. very small.

3  Thank coco237
Reviewed September 22, 2013

What could be a lovely place to go to and what I have heard used to be a lovely place to go is now run down and uncared for. Everything needs a new coat of paint and fixing. It feels as if the farm has been abandoned by staff months ago and left to crumble. The animals are interesting and well cared for but the sheds, play areas and general upkeep of buildings is poor, looks cheap and has been left to crumble.
There were motorised carts for the kids but only 2 out of 4 worked with no staff to help and the pedal powered ones were fine but there were only 3 available and placed in a small empty barn. There were only two staff members around the whole farm but that could have been because the summer holidays have ended.
The animal/fairy ornaments around the forest path were all broken, chipped and looked like they were all second hand. The indoor play area was okay and the outdoor area was good but for £7.95 an adult, the farm is just not worth it. If it was £4 each then the crumbling paint, tattered old ornaments and buildings and lack of activities could be excused.

2  Thank Bradders21
Will D, Manager at Hoo Farm Animal Kingdom, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Hi Bradders21,

We are naturally disappointed that you did not enjoy your visit, however we would like to take this opportunity to respond to a few of your concerns:

We very much take on board your comments regarding the appearance of several areas of the farm, however we take objection to the comment "It feels as if the farm has been abandoned" as this could not be further from the truth. Renovating the farm is constantly on-going, however as several of the buildings are old cow sheds, or an old granary (dating back to the 1700s) we are very restricted on what we can do to enhance their appearance.

We are very sorry that you suffered issues with our motorised cars. Although these are tested regularly, occasionally intermittent problems occur, that by their very nature are difficult to notice. If you had spoken to a member of staff on the day we would have happily resolved the issue for you.

The Go-Karts you mention are our indoor Go-Karts designed for smaller children, we do have a large outdoor peddle Go-Kart track that you must have missed..

We will investigate the broken fairy ornaments, these are checked daily, however we do suffer quite a lot of vandalism towards them.

Finally, we charge £7.95 during Peak times and £7.45 during Off Peak times (which is the time period during which you visited ), these prices are to cover many things but mostly the feeding and veterinary costs towards our animals. At Hoo Farm, we have over 450 animals from 150 different species and take on many rescues, some of which can cost us over £300 in veterinary fees. Whilst we acknowledge that you perhaps feel that we should charge a smaller fee, for what we offer (including all the activities that take place, such as stroking a Meerkat or small crocodile), we are cheaper than many attractions.

Kind Regards,

William Dorrell

Reviewed September 19, 2013

My partner and I visited Hoo farm today for the Meerkat experience we had purchased. What a fabulous day we had. The meerkats were wonderful, jasper slept in our arms. the girl who did the tour for us was very knowledgable about meerkats and obviously loved them very much. It was a great day and an experience to be recommended. we were then allowed to go round the farm to see the rest of the animals.
Afterwards we bought a couple of pasties, I nearly fainted when I was charged £7.85 for 2 pasties and a bag of crisps, but I have to say it was the best cheese and onion pasty I have ever had in my life.
I would definately recommend for the Meerkat experience.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am shocked by the bad reviews! Someone said it was run down?! It is a FARM! I thought it was wonderful! We went on a half day zoo keeper experience and had a fantastic day - one we were talking about for days! We got to see and hold a variety of lovely animals, the food was excellent and there was plenty for the children to do! The staff really made the farm - nothing was too much trouble! I can't rate this place enough! When I first got there and saw the entrance fees, I thought WOW this is expensive. However it is a small family run business (which is its charm!) and needs the money to keep it going I expect! Oh and a must see is the 'furry tail show'. So funny! Thank you so much to each of the staff for making our day so lovely. It is definitely somewhere I would go back to!

1  Thank Emma E