“fab valentines stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Walsall, United Kingdom
“fab valentines stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Arrived at hotel greeted by friendly reception staff, Our room was ready early, what a fab room or should I say rooms lounge bedroom and bathroom was spotless, bottle of sparkling wine and chocolates in our room and silk rose petals scattered over bed and bath (nice touch for valentines). Had a great afternoon tea in lounge which was very filling lots of cakes, Lovely 4 course dinner included and breakfast yet again faultless. Public areas are all nicely decorated. Only small niggle was bar staff never seemed to be around. We will definatley go back again. Sorry do have one other small niggle please put a bath mat in the bath we found it extremely slippery having a shower.

Room Tip: We had a suite although no balcony it had a living room and private stairs leading to large bedroom...
1 Thank johnandvicki7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

My partner and I have just had a 3 night stay on an Amazon Local deal which was brilliant value. Our stay was faultless. We had a lovely 3 course dinner on the first night and 3 ample breakfasts with plenty of choices. The hotel and our room (complete with balcony) were very nicely decorated and clean, we were told it had recently undergone a £1.3 million refurbishment. The staff were all friendly and helpful. A great base for exploring the area. It's an easy 30 min stroll to Wellington station along a wooded lane and plenty of off-road walking is on hand too. Deals are available on Buy a Gift and I would certainly be happy to receive a gift or treat someone to a break! I wish the hotel and staff all the best for the future and hope to visit again soon.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I were looking forward to our Valentine's Weekend away. I'd seen Buckatree Hall Hotel advertised and its lakeside location looked perfect for the weekend I had in mind.
Its a lovely building in a great setting but it has some quirks which affect the quality of service.
It begins at the lift on the ground floor. There is a sign on it which warns guests to make sure the doors open and remain open before entering the lift. They have a habit of closing quickly before they are fully open, trapping guests between the door and the frame in the process.
Our room was on the first floor. We had trouble finding it because the rooms are not numbered sequentially. We had gone by Nos. 108, 110 and 112 before we found 109; opposite 114! We got lost on the way out because the exit is not adequately signposted.
Rooms 106, 107 and 109 face each other across an open terrace. The effect is that they overlook each other. Consequently, the curtains had to be closed throughout our stay to protect our privacy. That meant we had no natural light in our room.
In the bathroom there was a pubic hair on the tiles and the ceiling above the shower was covered in mould. The extractor fan doesn't work and so steam condenses on the ceiling resulting in mould growth.
One important tip when using the shower: remember to turn the water off in a clockwise direction; towards the blue spot. Otherwise there is a risk of being scalded by the very hot water.
The temperature in the bedroom was barely warm at anytime, even with the radiator turned up full. This was in marked contrast to the public areas which were too hot for our comfort.
We had to exchange keycards to the room several times during the weekend because they became de-programmed. We were without a card over night because the lock on the door would not respond to the Manager's programmer. The technician had to deal with it the following morning while we were at breakfast.
Breakfast on each of the two mornings we were there were seemingly produced by two different teams. There was no introduction on the first day and so I overlooked the fruit, juice and yogurt which was hidden at the end of the display where the cooked breakfasts were. Instead, all I saw were cereals which were presented on a table in a different place. At least the coffee was good and strong on the first day. The team who prepared breakfast on the second day must have been trying to save costs. The coffee was very weak. At least by now I had found the grapefruit segments. Having eaten them, my wife and I went to collect our cooked breakfast from the display. On our return we found that the table was in the advanced stage of being cleared, together with all the cutlery and crockery, our drinks, the croissants we had selected, serviettes, etc. It was a good job we had not left any personal possessions on the table. The waitress did not apologise, she just said that she had been told to clear the table because we had left the dining room.
This was all very disappointing because there is so much which could be good about this hotel. The setting, the building, its location and the character of the hotel. Its quiet, even for a relatively big hotel. We never heard any noise. We slept well in a comfortable bed. The evening meal we had was really good except to have only four main courses, where one was vegetarian, one other contained haggis, a third contained black pudding (both acquired tastes), if you were not vegetarian and did not like haggis or black pudding, there was only one option, fish!
With the exception of the technician who restored the locking mechanism to our bedroom door, many of the other staff appeared to be going through the motions. Consideration seemed to be given most to the next staff task. Before breakfast had concluded on the second day, all but three tables and the chairs that surrounded them had been cleared from the dining room in preparation for a function that was taking place at lunchtime.
Surely, the essence of what makes for a good customer experience is that although there may be hundreds of people to serve during the day, the one I am serving now should feel that they are the only one and should receive all my attention. All the faults identified above can be addressed and if they are, this could be a really good hotel that I might want to return to.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
WayneJenson, General Manager at Buckatree Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time, and a lot of time, to post a review. Your account of the lift trapping guests is a little dramatic as is your account of the difficulties finding your room, I’m sure others reading this will smile as I have.

On a more serious note I agree that your stay has not been entirely satisfactory and some of the points you raise could have so easily been avoided. I think it was perhaps best that you did keep your curtains closed during your valentines celebrations, more so for those looking in than you looking out! Net curtains are subjective and this is something we may consider in the future.

The chilled items you refer to on our breakfast buffet are not hidden; they are in a recessed chiller unit on the buffet counter next to the cooked breakfast. I really do not know how you managed to overlook them and I am sorry that you were not introduced to our selection of juices , fruit segments and yoghurts’.

Our evening menus are prepared in-house by our team of chefs and we would be happy to omit or replace any elements which a guest does not like, this being the benefit of not supplying pre-packed food. In addition to the main restaurant menu you neglect to mention our bar menu which consists of a further 11 main courses including steaks, salmon & Cajun chicken - all available in our restaurant.

There are elements in your review which merit attention and will not be ignored. Housekeeping standards have clearly slipped and you should not have felt hurried out of the restaurant during breakfast, please accept my apologies.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review the Buckatree.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Second time at this hotel and once again everything was excellent. Plenty of choice for breakfast. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and had afternoon tea on the second day which was very good and so filling we didn't want anything later that evening. Good choice of drinks in the bar. Room was excellent and very quite, no trouble sleeping. Already looking forward to the next visit. Thanks to Wayne and all the staff.

1 Thank 186334John_H
Dear John,

Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased you liked it so much first time around that you came back again, even if there was no stinky toffee pudding!

Norfolk, Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

From beginning to end our overnight stay was fantastic. The staff at reception were polite and efficient. The room was homely, comfortable and included everything we could need. The dinner was high standard, tasty and well presented. Restaurant staff were pleasant and attentive. Menu choice was sufficient (good for the offer we had.) The bar area was clean, cosy and warm. We sat with our drinks and caught up with our emails in the bar courtesy of the free wi-fi ( which worked well in our room).
The only downside of this stay was that it was only for one night! We are sure to return when in this part of the country. Buckatree Hall Is on our list of favourites!

1 Thank amyhillmob
Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted your stay with us was so enjoyable and look forward to welcoming you back again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Needed a bed for the night near Telford with a late arrival and an early departure (too late for dinner and too early for breakfast). Very pleased that I chose the Buckatree.

Top marks for the staff who handled the booking over the phone, checked me in and checked me out. All were friendly and efficient. No complaints about the room which was well fitted out and clean.

All in all, a good experience and I would happily stay in the same hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear MJCHA,

Chichester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed at the Buckatree Hall Hotel for two nights during an event at the Telford International Centre. The hotel is quite out of the way, I imagine very good for walkers so no noise from roads etc.

The room was very basic but clean and comfortable enough. Wifi in the room was very sporadic - ok in the bar. My bath had no chain attached to the plug and so both times I had a bath I had to ask someone to pull the plug out - I thought it might be fixed after the first time but it wasn't. My room was also very cold - I asked for and got an extra heater but this made little difference and I had to use the thin extra blanked to try and get warm.

Had a run in with my neighbour who decided 4.30am was a good time to be shouting up the corridor on the first night and on the second night a function had loud music playing until midnight. I was on the first floor and could hear everything, I can only imagine how loud the downstairs rooms would be!

Breakfast was disappointing. A very small selection of cereals and toast and the cooked breakfast overcooked.

The best part about the hotel was the bar. Friendly staff, comfortable and good food (great Nachos!)

I'd stay here again if I was on a budget but ask for a room on the top floor and perhaps check if there were any functions taking place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the function room as possible!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank bevldavies
Dear Bev,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry your stay was not entirely satisfactory; please rest assured the areas raised have been discussed within the team. We do host a lot of functions / events at the hotel and I am sorry that on this occasion you were allocated a room close to the noise. For reference all of our garden view and lake view rooms are situated well away from any functions.

Our breakfast buffet is usually well stocked with a variety of items including, cereals, pastries, fruit segments, melon, yoghurt, cheese, ham and additional dried fruit / pulses so I am unsure why on this occasion there was a limited selection.

Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Best Western Valley Hotel
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel

Been to Buckatree Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!