“Nice Surprise”

Buckatree Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed here because I couldn't get into the usual suspects nearby - very short notice, was surprised I could get in so easily and worried about the reason.

Lovely room, warm and quiet, friendly and attentive staff, great bar meal, interesting fellow guests, breakfast was a perfect 10, all for £45.00 - I'll stay again of I go back to the area.

Alex Stevenson

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank alex s
Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We held our annual Christmas party here with work colleagues, the all inclusive party night promised to be a good night but fell somewhat short in some aspects, Tesco own brand cola placed on the bar as a pose to the Pepsi served on pumps, when I politely asked for the Pepsi as an alternative I was rudely told this could not be done even though I was happy to pay, at £50 a head supermarket brand cola that you have to serve your self is unacceptable. House spirits the cheapest available and only 1 lager / beer available for all inclusive. The food served was actually quite nice for mass catering and served efficiently for such a large amount of guests. I felt that the Buckatree hotel thinks more about cramming more people in the room to maximise profit whilst sacrificing guest comfort, the room we were in felt cramped, inevitably with a free bar and such a large mix of different people some felt the need to cause trouble, fights broke out at the end of the evening, their seemed to be nobody capable of preventing the escalating situation, may I suggest the hotel invests in security for events of this nature as this could well have been avoided and put a downer on the evening. We were resident at the hotel and asked if a late night drink was available, we were told due to the incidents the residents bar had closed,breakfast the next day seemed a chaotic experience, no offer of hot drinks or toast, buffet items ran out quickly resulting in a wait for some items, with more staff on duty this could of been avoided, that said the breakfast items we did have were nice. The room we were in was clean and adequate with tea / coffee making facilities. In summary as a previous reviewer has stated the hotel puts to much emphasis on making maximum profit at the expense of the customer experience, long term this will not work as many will not return. All of our party agreed we would not return.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked the hotel for New Year a party of 6 adults.The first problem occurred when the Hotel asked us to pre-book the meals but sent out the wrong menus on the form ... not once but twice. I had quite a conversation with a young lady on the phone who assured me they were right until we went through it line by line
As my husband and daughter are Coeliac we have to be very careful that the Hotel can cater for them. This was the bad start, it took many phone calls before I was able to feel confident that the Hotel was taking it seriously and would be able to cope.I even said I would provide various elements of the meal if they were unsure. Wayne, the Hotel Manager to the rescue, in one phone call he had it sorted. Hmmmm maybe his staff need a little more training in the customer service department.
The rooms were ok, not plush but standard hotel rooms, that is until my daughter arrived and she had a fantastic room, four poster walk, in shower etc. Absolutely lovely, now let me think, who did all the hard work getting everything right!!
The evening was lovely, the food was fantastic, the service pleasant and quick. Entertainment not to my taste but that is personal to me.
The icing on the cake was a good nights sleep in a very comfy bed and an appetising breakfast.
See you next year.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed the weekend of 3 January 2014. The staff were so nice and helpful the key system went down but was dealt with promptly and with such good grace we ended up laughing about it. A group of problem guests were dealt with efficiently and discreetly. The meal was very enjoyable the waiter did say that the menu was a little limited due to post holiday period but we would never have known. Breakfast was very nice good choice pleasantly served.

We had an Heritage Package which is fabulous value for money, the museums are so good and worth visiting again and again.

I later had a problem with my bank and the preauthorisation procedure and all I can say it the very nice reservations lady was so helpful she provided with all the information to prove that it was an error on my banks side who apologised eventually. Thank you Anne-Marie.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room over the gardens or pool, there are a couple that over look the car par...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanne B
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a standard double room which was clean and comfortable and had all the amenities we required . All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet style breakfast was nice as was the meal we had in the lounge bar . The hotel is nicely decorated and we would definitely use again if we visited the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank galaxy570
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed with a coach group over Christmas. Attractive hotel, excellent staff especially in the dining room over a very busy Christmas period. Food nicely served, very tasty and always extra sauces or gravy brought around. Nicely decorated for Christmas.. Good selection, including for vegetarians. Very quiet and well situated for walkers. The group well catered for with light entertainment in the evenings including quiz night run by the dining room staff with prizes.
Only thing that lets it down was the very cold rooms upon arrival. Heating obviously been off some days so took a couple of days for the room and bathroom to warm up. Pity.

Room Tip: some rooms overlooked the lake (but got the wind!). Ours overlooked lawns with some cars parked beh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the friday to find that i had no resevation (which i had booked in september), no problem said the reception staff and we were given a room. The room was lovely, a little cold but the heating was put on so that was sorted. We went to wellington on the friday night, 2 miles away £3 taxi, plenty to do there and s lovely indian. After a realy confy sleep a long walk and then dinner in the Buckatree, lovely 3 course meal in a very relaxing restaraunt, there was a party on but you could not hear anything. All in all a realy relaxing weekend and for the price we payed you couldnt fault it

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple