“Bad start, excellent finish”

Buckatree Hall Hotel
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Bad start, excellent finish”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We booked the hotel for New Year a party of 6 adults.The first problem occurred when the Hotel asked us to pre-book the meals but sent out the wrong menus on the form ... not once but twice. I had quite a conversation with a young lady on the phone who assured me they were right until we went through it line by line
As my husband and daughter are Coeliac we have to be very careful that the Hotel can cater for them. This was the bad start, it took many phone calls before I was able to feel confident that the Hotel was taking it seriously and would be able to cope.I even said I would provide various elements of the meal if they were unsure. Wayne, the Hotel Manager to the rescue, in one phone call he had it sorted. Hmmmm maybe his staff need a little more training in the customer service department.
The rooms were ok, not plush but standard hotel rooms, that is until my daughter arrived and she had a fantastic room, four poster walk, in shower etc. Absolutely lovely, now let me think, who did all the hard work getting everything right!!
The evening was lovely, the food was fantastic, the service pleasant and quick. Entertainment not to my taste but that is personal to me.
The icing on the cake was a good nights sleep in a very comfy bed and an appetising breakfast.
See you next year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed the weekend of 3 January 2014. The staff were so nice and helpful the key system went down but was dealt with promptly and with such good grace we ended up laughing about it. A group of problem guests were dealt with efficiently and discreetly. The meal was very enjoyable the waiter did say that the menu was a little limited due to post holiday period but we would never have known. Breakfast was very nice good choice pleasantly served.

We had an Heritage Package which is fabulous value for money, the museums are so good and worth visiting again and again.

I later had a problem with my bank and the preauthorisation procedure and all I can say it the very nice reservations lady was so helpful she provided with all the information to prove that it was an error on my banks side who apologised eventually. Thank you Anne-Marie.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room over the gardens or pool, there are a couple that over look the car par...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanne B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in a standard double room which was clean and comfortable and had all the amenities we required . All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet style breakfast was nice as was the meal we had in the lounge bar . The hotel is nicely decorated and we would definitely use again if we visited the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank galaxy570
Yeovil
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed with a coach group over Christmas. Attractive hotel, excellent staff especially in the dining room over a very busy Christmas period. Food nicely served, very tasty and always extra sauces or gravy brought around. Nicely decorated for Christmas.. Good selection, including for vegetarians. Very quiet and well situated for walkers. The group well catered for with light entertainment in the evenings including quiz night run by the dining room staff with prizes.
Only thing that lets it down was the very cold rooms upon arrival. Heating obviously been off some days so took a couple of days for the room and bathroom to warm up. Pity.

Room Tip: some rooms overlooked the lake (but got the wind!). Ours overlooked lawns with some cars parked beh...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
north wales
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the friday to find that i had no resevation (which i had booked in september), no problem said the reception staff and we were given a room. The room was lovely, a little cold but the heating was put on so that was sorted. We went to wellington on the friday night, 2 miles away £3 taxi, plenty to do there and s lovely indian. After a realy confy sleep a long walk and then dinner in the Buckatree, lovely 3 course meal in a very relaxing restaraunt, there was a party on but you could not hear anything. All in all a realy relaxing weekend and for the price we payed you couldnt fault it

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We paid £50 per head for a drinks inclusive xmas meal from work. I have been to the Buckatree on many occasions and it has always been fine, however this time the tables were crammed together to the point of being uncomfortable, the food was poor even by the standards of mass catered Xmas fare and whilst we would not expect "premium" drinks the hotel had made the decision to replace their normal standard beverages with cheap brands, serving supermarket brand cola direct from a plastic bottle with no hope of an ice and slice is not really the way to go. Hotels should remember that many of the people who attend these functions go out more than once a year and have friends who do likewise. Why is it that the idea of serving the customer is suddenly replaced by maximising profit at this time of year?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jes S
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Just returned from the Buckatree. We had a voucher for 2 nights and pre-booked a 3rd night. Hopefully the vouchers did not reflect on our experience.
Upon arrival, the Receptionist asked if we had definitely booked the third night or were we sure if hadn't booked in another name....................
We were given what must have been the smallest room on the premises, which we found strange as there was hardly any other person using the hotel. The room was only equipped with one set of towels and we could hear people using their toilet in the adjoining rooms. We were also then woken up in the early hours 2/3am (ish) by what sounded like a washing machine,turned out to be generator which had a timer fault.
We ordered a daily newspaper, which was fine on the first day, but the second day, we did not see the newspaper until we asked at about 18.30 that evening. We were told that it had been in the reception all day, as they had wondered who had ordered it. The receptionist asked whether we wanted the paper then or when we returned later that evening. I told her that I did not want the paper at all, as it was too late and that I did not want it reflecting in the bill. The Receptionist was very unhappy with this response as she had personnally bought the paper, I told her that it was not my fault that the hotel staff did not speak to each other.
The breakfast was very good and the hotel is in an excellant setting but I'm afraid my biggest positive that I will take away from this, is that I will raise my concerns sooner and never settle for a room that is nearest to main exit door.

Room Tip: Don't use room # 203
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
#6 of 21 in Telford
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Buckatree Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!