“Christmas in Shropshire”

Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Yeovil
“Christmas in Shropshire”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed with a coach group over Christmas. Attractive hotel, excellent staff especially in the dining room over a very busy Christmas period. Food nicely served, very tasty and always extra sauces or gravy brought around. Nicely decorated for Christmas.. Good selection, including for vegetarians. Very quiet and well situated for walkers. The group well catered for with light entertainment in the evenings including quiz night run by the dining room staff with prizes.
Only thing that lets it down was the very cold rooms upon arrival. Heating obviously been off some days so took a couple of days for the room and bathroom to warm up. Pity.

Room Tip: some rooms overlooked the lake (but got the wind!). Ours overlooked lawns with some cars parked beh...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
north wales
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the friday to find that i had no resevation (which i had booked in september), no problem said the reception staff and we were given a room. The room was lovely, a little cold but the heating was put on so that was sorted. We went to wellington on the friday night, 2 miles away £3 taxi, plenty to do there and s lovely indian. After a realy confy sleep a long walk and then dinner in the Buckatree, lovely 3 course meal in a very relaxing restaraunt, there was a party on but you could not hear anything. All in all a realy relaxing weekend and for the price we payed you couldnt fault it

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We paid £50 per head for a drinks inclusive xmas meal from work. I have been to the Buckatree on many occasions and it has always been fine, however this time the tables were crammed together to the point of being uncomfortable, the food was poor even by the standards of mass catered Xmas fare and whilst we would not expect "premium" drinks the hotel had made the decision to replace their normal standard beverages with cheap brands, serving supermarket brand cola direct from a plastic bottle with no hope of an ice and slice is not really the way to go. Hotels should remember that many of the people who attend these functions go out more than once a year and have friends who do likewise. Why is it that the idea of serving the customer is suddenly replaced by maximising profit at this time of year?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jes S
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Just returned from the Buckatree. We had a voucher for 2 nights and pre-booked a 3rd night. Hopefully the vouchers did not reflect on our experience.
Upon arrival, the Receptionist asked if we had definitely booked the third night or were we sure if hadn't booked in another name....................
We were given what must have been the smallest room on the premises, which we found strange as there was hardly any other person using the hotel. The room was only equipped with one set of towels and we could hear people using their toilet in the adjoining rooms. We were also then woken up in the early hours 2/3am (ish) by what sounded like a washing machine,turned out to be generator which had a timer fault.
We ordered a daily newspaper, which was fine on the first day, but the second day, we did not see the newspaper until we asked at about 18.30 that evening. We were told that it had been in the reception all day, as they had wondered who had ordered it. The receptionist asked whether we wanted the paper then or when we returned later that evening. I told her that I did not want the paper at all, as it was too late and that I did not want it reflecting in the bill. The Receptionist was very unhappy with this response as she had personnally bought the paper, I told her that it was not my fault that the hotel staff did not speak to each other.
The breakfast was very good and the hotel is in an excellant setting but I'm afraid my biggest positive that I will take away from this, is that I will raise my concerns sooner and never settle for a room that is nearest to main exit door.

Room Tip: Don't use room # 203
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I booked this hotel through amazon as a three night deal with dinner and breakfast. The hotel was clean and inviting the service from staff good informed and friendly, meals excellent with good choices. The room was lovely clean and well decorated( the only gripe was the heating and hot water which was not controllable from the room so found it cold at times and the water was not hot later in the evening) Location was excellent for seeing other places and lots of good walks around. Would recommend this hotel for a peaceful getaway stay.

Try Jacques French Bistro Shrewsbury.......Good value and excellent food.

Room Tip: Rooms over the lake are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david f
Hull
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Booked a nights stay Nov 2013 via Classic Britain .com, Dinner Bed and Breakfast, excellent value, fantastic food (three course Christmas dinner), helpful staff and even got a free room upgrade (fantastic views overlooking the hotels pond)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan65th
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

After driving for over 3 hours to get here I was a little annoyed to find there were no parking spaces. After 5 mins of driving around the car park I just dumped the car in the car park and hoped for the best. The receptionist was reasonably welcoming and informative. The hotel has been recently re-decorated by the looks of things. I was more than a little annoyed when trying to get to my room I was confronted by a locked door on the stairs to my room. I had with me my suit carrier, my suitcase and my laptop, which I had to put down in order to remove the key card from my pocket to open the door. On entering my room I noticed that the carpet didn't look like it had been hoovered. I was more than a little dismayed to find the previous occupants used shampoo bottles still in the bathroom and again the floor hadn't been cleaned.

It took ages in the morning for the shower to warm up, in fact it didn't warm up! It didn't even reach body temperature ( and no, it wasn't me being an idiot, the temp was set at max) and yet the water from the sink was nice and hot.

The food in the bar was ok, reasonable amount and not too bad, although my burger was a little over cooked. Breakfast was ok, staff a little lack lustre in their approach.
Check out was hardly friendly, the receptionist barely spoke and didn't even ask me if my stay was ok.

Like I said, it's the little things. All in all, I wouldn't stay here again. It has the potential, it just needs a bit more effort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gengis10000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telford
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
Hadley Park House Hotel
Hadley Park House Hotel
#5 of 21 in Telford
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Buckatree Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!