“Good hotel”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Telford
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good hotel”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

I visited for one night with a friend, check in went well and staff were very friendly. On arrival at the bedroom, I had requested twin beds, but was pleasantly surprised that we had two queen size beds, bathroom was clean but only soap and shower gel, no shower cap etc. Did not have dinner, had drinks in the bar they were fairly priced. Breakfast was good and so was the service. Would book again if I was in the area

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank F4V-Wendy
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Dear F4V-Wendy

Thank you for taking time to post a review after your recent stay with us and for your recommendation. We really appreciate your feedback.

I trust you will stay with us on a future occasion.

Lis Frost
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We arrived on a wet Bank Holiday Monday and were unable access our room until 2-00 pm. We received no recognition of our Platinum Elite status and had to ask for an upgraded room as nothing was offered. Whilst we waited for our room we had a light lunch which was very ordinary and quite expensive.
Our room had a very odd odour which may or may not be due to the damp weather. The bed was so hard and uncomfortable neither myself or my wife slept.
Dinner in the bar was not any better than lunch and had the appearance of mass produced boil in the bag food.
Breakfast was much better and was good.
No where near as good as other Holiday Inns we have stayed at recently.
We do not wish to return based on this stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Toptown

I'm very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel and I have sent you a private message about this. In the meantime please accept my apologies.

I have explained that we had not allocated you an upgraded room until your arrival as you had specified on the reservation that you wanted a certain room type and we do not have upgraded rooms in that type.

I do apologise for the disappointment with your evening meal and have asked you to let me know what it was that you ordered so that I can investigate, because I can assure you that none of our food is mass produced or boiled in the bag so I would welcome the opportunity to check this out.

I hope to hear from you.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2014

first impressions were great - check in was flawless and the receptionist was fantastic.. Our room was very clean and comfortable - we headed to the pool for some adults only swimming which was great and hit the gym after which has very modern equipment and was spotlessly clean. We then went back to our room and got ourselves ready to relax with a glass of wine and went to order some room service but our phone didn't work, really disappointing as I had my pajamas on and didn't want to be traipsing to reception so we had to leave it. On check out we had a different lady with absolutely no customer service skills... No good morning and no ask if everything was okay with our stay just abruptly informed us she had checked us out.

Overall we had an okay stay but a couple of things spoiled it for us and could of been easily avoided if the reception and maintenance staff were a little more customer focused,

1 Thank vickihowell
Dear Vickihowell

Thank you for taking time to review us after your recent stay and I'm sorry that you had a rather inconsistent experience. I do appreciate you having told us all the good things about your stay, but I do also thank you for drawing to our attention the issues that you had.

Please be assured that the telephone has now been fixed and I do apologise for the lack of customer service you experienced on check out. Our procedure is normally to ask every guest how their stay has been as this gives us an opportunity to receive feedback from guests and put right anything that we may have got wrong. I'm sorry the procedure was not followed for you and have ensured that this happens in future.

I do hope you will stay with us again sometime.

northampton
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We stayed here during the school summer holidays.
It was a last minute booking and for a single night we got a bargin deal of just over £40 for a family room.

Upon arrival the check in desk were really friendly and gave us a couple of cookies for the kids, comics and crayons! there was a kids play area with toys and books etc... and a big swimming pool for them to splash around in.

There was a restaurant but we like to explore the area so didn't eat there. the prices looked average for a hotel though.

The room was a good size, clean, bathroom was good too. Parking was free and there was loads of it.

The residents get free access to WONDERLAND which is just behind the hotel. Its worth a look with kinds under 7yrs but not more than an hours visit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Catmar192

Thank you for your kind review after staying with us recently with your family.

I'm glad that you had a great stay and that you were able to take advantage of all the little extras we have put in place for our younger guests on busy weekends.

Wonderland is certainly an advantage for those with small children, and entry is free when you are staying with us.

Next time you come, perhaps you will find time to visit our restaurant, we have a special children's menu available.

Tenby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

If you book with Holiday Inn as we did you are not guaranteed the room you book it's get what you are given, we complained and while we were out of the Hotel all our belongings were moved to another room when we were told we would be told when we returned if it was possible because it seemed and impossibility fully booked we felt VIOLATED as all our belongings including undies had been man handled across the Hotel needless to say the time in Telford went down hill every time we returned we opened the door expecting more VIOLATION, good thing the hotel was just 2 minutes drive from a supermarket so we could buy new unviolated underwear. If you book at Holiday Inn take care and know what you expect and don't worry about making a fuss you will not be saddened like us

1 Thank martyntries
Lis F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Martyn C

Thank you for taking time to post a review and I am sorry that you were so upset. I am aware that an error had meant that you had not been allocated a double room on arrival. We had not received any information with your booking in relation to other requirements that you had been expecting. When a room move was organised for you, a basket of fruit was placed in the room by way of an apology. I really appreciate that your belongings should not have been moved without your being present and I do sincerely apologise for this on behalf of the team who had really not intended to upset you so much.

Should you be planning to return to Telford in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me personally so that I can assist you with your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed there this August BH for three nights, the hotel is clean and tidy and we were able to get a reasonable B&B rate. Our room was clean although a missed dirty sheet was changed.
Free tea and coffee facilities in our room and lots of clean towels.
The hotel has a leisure club swimming pool and gym all free for guests and as IHG members we had free standard internet access for the duration of our stay.
Breakfast was a buffet type hot & cold, on the hot plate it wasn't wiped probably as often as it should have been. Overall I think this is the best mid priced hotel in Telford close enough for Ironbridge Gorge and Blists Hill, RAF Cosford etc.

Room Tip: Internet search first via the Holiday Inn website then ring them.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Rich S

Thank you for taking time to post a review. I'm pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay though I was disappointed to note that you had found an issue with linen. I have sent you a private message in this respect.

We did have an exceptionally busy bank holiday so I do apologise for the lack of tidiness found at the breakfast buffet. I have passed on your feedback to the food and beverage team so that they can continue to monitor these areas in future to ensure that they are kept clean, fresh and well topped up for our guests.

Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a stop over on the way back from South Wales. Main reason was the swimming pool and sauna facilities.
The room was clean with comfy beds, unfortunately a double room only comes with single biscuits (my partner made me put that :)).
The main gripe is the pool facility is a joke at this holiday Inn.
The small print says you may have to book once you arrive on some occasions.
Fair enough, arrive at 18:00 phone to book no places until 20:00 just around when we planned to eat and it closes at a 21:00; so no swimming tonight. Had a meal out back to the hotel, try to book a morning swim told only times are first thing or later in the morning. As you can guess this is becoming farcical, contact the the manager who is very helpful and gets them to some how squeeze us in at our original time 08:00!
Also you can only stay in the pool/ sauna for 60 minutes.
This may be harsh but when I book a hotel with a pool I do expect it to be available and not time limited, poor and has tarnished my opinion of holiday inns.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Darren O

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that you were disappointed not to be able to swim at the times you had hoped. As you noted, we do state on our website and at check in, that we do have occasions when a booking system is in place for the swimming pool for hourly sessions. I am aware that our duty manager did help you to get the slot that you needed so that your stay would not be spoiled. On an August bank holiday weekend, we knew the hotel would be very busy and in order to apply a control procedure for the enjoyment and safety of all, a booking system was in place. Obviously occasionally there will be times within that system when guests will be disappointed not to be able to swim at the times they had hoped, for which we are sorry.

I have contacted you privately about this, but in the meantime please accept my apologies.