“Great friendly little B&B”

Hartfield Guest House
Ranked #8 of 28 Telford B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I had to visit Telford for a conference and came across this little gem when all of the other chain hotels were booked up; and I was definitely the winner!
Belle the landlady was superb, friendly and helpful even making me some toast to take away as I couldn't make breakfast. On that note I DID make it on the 2nd morning and the full English was fab!
Rooms were clean, spacious and nicely decorated.
If I'm heading back to Telford I'll be going back to Belle!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Our experience at Hartfield house was very good. We were greeted in the drive way by Mel who was extremely helpful and bubbly, nothing was too much trouble and made us feel very welcome. Our room was lovely, clean . Bathroom very nice. TV a bit dodgy but has we stayed for longer we might have said something. Wifi didn't work but again, only there one night so didn't bother asking. I tried to set it up on our iPads but didn't work. Bar and tv room small but really lovely they had one. Breakfast was nice, Mel very attentive. All in all a really nice stay and would recommend. Only one downside was the man of the house didn't say hello, speak to us or even look at us which is quite disappointing but Mel more than made up for his rudeness.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Quite possibly the nicest guesthouse I've ever been to. Lovely room and bathroom. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great breakfast cooked in the morning - very tasty with large portions. Only a shame that I couldn't fully enjoy it as it was a very busy and time filled weekend - if I'd have had more time I could have properly relaxed there. If I am ever in the area I will seek out this guesthouse as a priority over all others.

I couldn't rate this any higher.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice room, good parking, friendly lady to welcome you and look after you. Bar slightly mysterious (not entirely clear how it operates!) but all in all a very restful and well-run place to be. Freshly cooked breakfast with good freshly-cooked scrambled and poached eggs ... not easy to achieve for a hotel and always a good measure of the quality of the establishment. Not sure how the last reviewers found it so bad. Apart from slight lack of clarity about the way the bar works,this is exemplary.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan_F_Murray
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We booked this guest house for our wedding night because the owner said it had an honesty bar and jacuzzi that were avaliable 24 hours and we wanted to be able to wind down after the wedding. My husband checked in on the morning of our wedding but the owner just jestured at a door and said 'everything is in there'. We arrived after the wedding and after having a quick look at the room went to find the jacuzzi. We went to the door we had been shown and went in (it wasn't locked). We found a lovely tv room and a kitchen but couldn't find the jacuzzi or bar so went to bed very disappointed and too hyper to sleep. We couldn't work out why we couldn't find the facilities we'd been promised and wished we'd been shown around better. We rang the hotel from my mobile (on the number that we'd contacted then on before) and got no answer and even tried the mobile number that was on the answer phone but with no joy.

The next morning we asked about the facilities and were shown a door behind some plants that was not obvious. ...indeed in here there was a bar and a jacuzzi. Instead of apologising the owner told us off for going into the wrong area and implied that we had broken in! She also accused us of leaving the door open ( which we definitely didn't as my husband distinctly remembers ensuring the door was firmly shut).

The owner was rude and had no idea about customer service. Without the extra facilities this hotel is very very average and very very expensive. The owners attitude wad truly disgusting! We've never had such a poor welcome when checking in (even travel lodge tells you more) or such horrific treatment at a hotel. Out of all our wedding plans and arrangements this was the only disappointment but it wad a very big one.

Horrid owner

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank theflyingdr
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Only spent one Saturday night here and the place is lovely, we had a very warm welcome from Mel, who is very friendly. Our room was very nice and we had everything we needed inlcuding a good hairdryer, plenty of shower gel and plenty of tea, coffee etc - just some of the things that are usually lacking in other places we have stayed. There is a lovely bar area next to the kitchen with sky tv. It was very quiet and peaceful. We had a lovely breakfast in the morning and nothing was too much trouble. I would definitely recommend staying here and would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 which was on the 1st floor - it had a sky light in it which was nice as it was a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I looked for a B&B in Telford as I work there frequently throughout the year and have stayed in virtually all the hotels and each and every time have been disappointed by the poor quality.

The Hartfield Guest House sets the bar in a different place all together. Fantastic setting, plush and comfortable rooms all hosted by owner Mel. You could not ask for better hospitality.

Good breakfast and an exceptional steak for tea I would recommend this to anyone. I am back next week for a couple of nights and already looking forward to it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business