“Friday Evening Meal”

The Fat Dog
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a small restaurant nestled into the Oxfordshire countryside, just minutes away from Swindon, Cirencester and Faringdon. We believe in providing quality food at realistic prices. We would love to welcome you to The Fat Dog soon.
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I went to The Fat Dog this evening with a Groupon deal. We had the smoked salmon mousse and chicken Caesar salad for starters and the only (really extremely minor!) complaint we had with either was that the salad would be better served in a flat bottomed dish (it kept tipping up when trying to spear the food). Both starters were delicious. For mains, we had the pork chop and the Barnsley lamb chop. Again, both were excellent, perfectly cooked and we ate every last mouthful. I did like that we received what was stated on the menu. I've been to other places where the menu says one thing and what you receive is another thing entirely. Too full after all that to have a dessert!

We've eaten at the Fat Dog several times over the years, together and with various friends, and the food has pretty much always been great. The restaurant itself is very attractive - modern and clean with decent sized tables. I hate it when we go somewhere to eat and we're put on a table with no elbow room. The staff we encountered were very polite and the service was quick and unobtrusive. Lovely Merlot too! We were a bit disappointed that the fire wasn't lit but the staff may have been caught out by the cold snap in the weather. So, all in all, most enjoyable and we'll definitely be back.

TheFatDog, Manager at The Fat Dog, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Kay,

Thank-you for your loyal patronage, we hope you return this Christmas!

I'm glad the complaints are minor, it makes my job so much easier! I'll pass that onto the kitchen - they never get to eat the food off of service plates. Our Pork and Lamb Chops have proved very popular this Autumn, I can personally vouch for our desserts - I've sampled them all!

About the fire! Health and Safety officers recently surveyed the property and informed us that the chimney needs some work doing on it else it'll fill the room with smoke. Unfortunately we can't complete this until the new year.

See you soon - Christmas Menu between 27th November and 22nd December!
Thanks,

Reviewed October 8, 2012

excellent place to eat. food out standing the staff very happy to server you. Toilets very clean. would reccommend and the sunday lunches are fab

1  Thank lwadl48

Dear lwadl48,

Thank-you so much for the review! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, we all take pride in our work which we believe comes through in our levels of service. Hopefully we'll see you on another Sunday then!

Please note that over the Christmas period Sunday Lunch will still be served every week.

Lastly we wish you a Merry Christmas if we don't see you before then!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and went on a Saturday night with her parents. The interior is bright but with a warm feel. We had a choice of two tables and chose one in the corner. We were offered drinks although these did take a while to come. Initially ordered white wine but it wasn't cold enough for me so swapped it for a nice Shiraz (so nice we had two bottles and the girls were both on water!). Excellent starters (garlic mushrooms which were in an amazing sauce and roasted veg soup). Mains were great too - I had minute steak which was very juicy for a thin steak. Chips with skins on were lovely and proper really crispy onion rings. My wife had pasta with chorizo which she really enjoyed. In laws both had pork loin with a sauce laced with lardons. Salty but very tasty (I had some).

For puds we had a mix: creme brulee for me which was excellent. Choc mousse, panacotta and fruit salad for the others which they all thought were very good.

We all had coffees and the father in law and I had shorts too. The whole thing came to £142 which is great value (not that we were after a value meal - we wanted quality and we got it).

So in summary, a great evening, superb food and we would definitely go again.

Dear Jerry,

I hope the food wasn't too lively!!

We're glad that you had such a good experience with us, we always try to ensure that people will leave with a good impression of us. We do have a few problems with our wine fridges as they revert to 10C for both red and white after power-cuts. Unfortunately the power is being worked on about 100 metres down the road!

What can I say about the food! I'm glad everything was perfect for you, our chef puts a lot of effort into creating every dish.

We really hope to see you again over the Christmas period. The Christmas Menu is available from November 27th until December 22nd.

Thanks again,

Reviewed September 25, 2012

have been here quite a few times and it has been great went last week on a groupon on deal and it was awful. we have been on a groupon deal before and then joined as a vip member if that was my 1st visit would not go back. arrived at 13:30 ordered mushrooms which the sauce was lovely but too much and nothing to mop it up with, followed by chicken for myself and pork chop for my partner we both asked for mash which was as dry as anything along with my dry chicken breast that was supposed to have herbs and sauce on it (ha ha) with green beans was dullest driest meal i have had in along time. my partners meal was a lot of greasy veg along with a dried out chop, ok so this sounds not that good but we were kept waitin and didnt get our mains till 14:50 and then choc mousse was like vomit in a bowl lumpy watery stuff am gutted we used to like it here . have they changed chefs???? or ownership??????

TheFatDog, Owner at The Fat Dog, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Louisa,

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience with us, however I do hope that you remain a member so that you can take advantage of our offers and give us a chance to redeem ourselves. I would also like to confirm that we treat our Groupon customers in exactly the same way as our regulars.

We have received a great deal of positive feedback about our Garlic Mushrooms, and if you'd have mentioned anything to one of the staff they'd have been more than happy to provide you with some extra toasted baguette or some bread.
The Chicken and Pork Chop are both on the menu with different sides and our mash is made to accompany the Sausages. For that dish the mash must be quite dry so that it absorbs the rich caramelised onion gravy. However I will talk to the kitchen about adding some extra butter in future.
The Chicken breast is offered with a creamy white wine and mushroom sauce, and obviously someone should have checked that dish before it came out of the kitchen. I offer my sincerest apologise for that.
The Pork Chop comes with sautéed potatoes and creamy cabbage & pancetta, this is clearly stated on the menu and many people have enjoyed the meal. However we do offer side dishes of vegetables or salad, which is again, clearly printed on the menu.

As for the Chocolate Mousse I will be having a discussion with the kitchen shortly, as that sounds absolutely unacceptable.

The restaurant has changed both chefs and ownership however the change took place roughly 6 months ago now, so I don't think that was the issue here. We would love for you to visit us again and I ask that you email info@thefatdog.co.uk to discuss this further.

Hope to see you again soon,
Louise.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

On arrival at this restaurant we were hesitant to go in because of the appearance of it. It was next to the railway yard and an express train passed whilst we were sat thinking about it. As we had booked for 8 people, we were staying in the area, it was too late to make other arrangements.
On entering all our fears disappeared as the decor was very modern the food was excellent and prices were very competitive. There was a delay for our order to reach us but that is because every order is produced when order is made, not sitting on a shelf or in a fridge. We were seated in the conservatory and it was soundproofed so the trains did not worry too much and the music played was at an acceptable sound level.

Dear smokey51,

We are striving to improve the exterior image, and saving up for a complete overhaul at some point in the future - even we can see that it doesn't look its best!
When we refurbished the interior we put a lot of thought into the high-quality finishes and ambiance and so we're pleased that you liked the décor.

As you mentioned all of our food is cooked from scratch and so sometimes there are short delays after ordering; however we believe the quality added from fresh cooking helps us to differentiate ourselves from other local restaurants. We have select menu of seasonal dishes that we can price competitively because we don't have to pay for food miles, with the majority of our food coming from local farms and companies.

Thank-you for the review and we all hope to see you again soon,
Louise.