“Nice food with reasonable price for lunch...”
Review of Cosmo - CLOSED

Cosmo
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food with reasonable price for lunch...”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from Cosmo an hour ago. We had lunch buffet 7.99 £ each plus pepsi 2.60 £ each. Not too busy or noisy. Starters weren't very nice (I prefer starters at Mr.Mok Pan Asian Buffet Restaurant on Commercial Rd,.) but main were really good especially Thai food. Thai green curry, beef basil, seafood tom yum soup were great. Chinese main were very nice as well. We didn't try any Tepanyaki or steak from chef cos they got loadssss of food already. Cakes were tasty. Service was ok. They weren't very friendly but not rude. It's a clean big restaurant. Felt comfortable during our lunch. Suitable for big groups as well. We'll definitely go back again :-)

Swindon
“canteen style dining”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

long tables, well lit, lots of food prepared in bulk. good for large groups and well placed, also not expensive. it's not intimate and the novelty factor wears off almost instantly, go there with the lads but dont choose it for a date !

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Steve B
Swindon, United Kingdom
“food”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

what i liked here was the vast amount of food on show, it is also an all you can eat buffet,english chinese indian, great sweets and puddings

Bath
“unco-operative, argumentative - will never go back”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Always wanted to try Cosmo - driving through Swindon on a miserable Sunday evening just before new years' eve, thought we'd see how busy Cosmo was - it wasn't so went in with my pal.
It's a nice looking restaurant - stylish and spacious.

The Cosmo web site says that it's a Pan Asian restaurant with food from 9 countries - including India - in fact this is not true of Cosmo Swindon, which does basically Thai, Japanese and Chinese - certainly no Indian selection.

I decided to try the tepanyaki (the bit where you choose your food and it's stir fried in front of you).
The quality of the raw food looked good - but you can only choose two items per visit.
But even at two items per person there was too much of a wait - the two people in front of me where having exactly the same two items but the chef cooked them in two separate sessions instead of all together.
When it came to my turn I chose steak with a skewer of onions, peppers and mushrooms
Chef started cooking the steak - but put the skewer on a barbecue; I asked politely for the vegetables to be stir fried but he refused. I continued to press my point and said I wanted them stir fried, but again he refused; I asked him why he wouldn't stir fry the vegetables but he stopped talking to me. Eventually he took the skewer off the barbecue and just discarded it in the corner of the hot plate. He then served the steak - minus the vegetables.

I complained to the Manager who simply explained that barbecuing the vegetables was their policy; he went on to say that there were stir fried vegetables on the other hot food stands but that this is how we do it on the tepanyaki station. He even tried to justify this policy by saying that if they stir fried the vegetables then other customers would have to wait (there weren't any other people waiting behind me - not that he would've known this (Hmmm stir fry versus barbecue - which do you think is quickest ?). He continued to argue with me until I said I'd had enough. I paid for my drinks and left.

Excerpt from the Cosmo web site: ".... Make Our Customers Feel Valued
When it comes to customer service, we pride ourselves in our efficient, friendly, courteous and respectful attitude. From the moment we welcome you into a Cosmo restaurant, we aim to make your visit one you’ll remember, and we hope to see you again soon"

Epic fail on that one then - except that my visit was one to remember , which is why they won't be seeing me ever again, in any of their restaurants.

Is it so unreasonable to ask for freshly stir fried vegetables rather than barbecued vegetables ?

My request was simple and easy to accommodate; but they refused it in a discourteous manner and added insult to injury by proffering a pathetic justification that was an insult to intelligence.

• Visited December 2012
Swindon
“Mediocre”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Took our daughter there for a celebration of her excellent GCSE results. The venue was very noisy - so much so that it was difficult to hold a conversation. Having researched the dishes online to see what was available I was disappointed to see that the dishes advertised were not available. The buffet food available was ok, some was somewhat overcooked and the desserts were largely tasteless although they looked wonderful. The section of the restaurant that cooks the food on demand was excellent - the buffet food was not that good as I stated - but it was plentiful and hot. If that's your idea of a satisfactory meal out you won't be disappointed. Meal for four was £65.

Visited June 2012