“I couldn't even stay for one night”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of 20 at The Kings

20 at The Kings
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
“I couldn't even stay for one night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

The room was horrible, smelly and tired looking with stains in the carpet. The room was cold and the heating wasn't working, instead I was left with a dodgy electric shower. The shower tray was was cracked and held together by tape. It was truly terrible and I left straight away and booked into the Goddards Arms hotel down the road which was lots better and cheaper.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

I stayed The Kings whilst visiting friends in the area and I found this hotel to be of high standards. It was clean, friendly and had a great food Menu. I was made to feel very welcome - I felt like valued customer (even though it was my 1st visit!!) and not like a number like some of the larger hotel chains I have stayed in before. I will be returning and would highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Angelica128
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

In daylight the hotel seems to be on the amusing side of dreadful. Cobwebs in the roof, dusty shelves in the wardrobe, which was in the bathroom. The extractor fan in the bathroom was missing and everything looked tired. But at night it really gets bad. You either sleep towards the front, where the disco keeps you awake until the early hours, or you sleep at the back, where the bottle man is throwing out bottles and moving kegs until around 3:30. The staff communicate by shouting one the bar has emptied, prewsumably because their hearing has been damaged by the volume of the disco, The noise continued until around 3_30 a.m. Absolutely dreadful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Doctor-Foster

Travelers are raving about these Swindon hotels

Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

We were looking for a hotel to stay in in Swindon, so decided to look on line. When we came accross the Kings Arms, it looked lovely, so we phoned and booked. When we arrived we were horrified by the dirty place. There was no mention of it being a night club at night. When we arrived to check in there was bottles of alcohol on the reception desk and the place was dirty. When we were taken up to our room, the stairway stank, and our rooms terrible. I am not one who has to stay in a 5 star, but i do like a clean room. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless you are looking for a place to party all night. I could not feel clean in that hotel.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
South West
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2008

I stayed recently in the Kings Hotel, and have to say its one of the most dated and dispointing hotels i have ever stayed in, The rooms need modernising. There is a over powering smell of disinfectant on the hall way. My trips to Swindon for hotels have not been sucessful if I have to go again I will be using a major hotel chain such as Hilton/Holiday Inn even though they are out of town.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Room/Bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RobSWUK
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2006

I am a regular guest at The Kings Hotel in Wood Street Swindon, and recommend it to everyone! I am away from home 90% of the time and find it to be a home from home, the staff are amazing. The tenants there are more than hospitable I have actually made friends with them and other regular guests. I am sure there are more guests who would say the same, it is so refreshing to actually be made to feel like a person rather than just another hotel guest. It is very lonely when away from your family and it's so nice to feel like you're part of something when away from home.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2005

After 4 of us stayed at this "hotel" for 2 nights, we were absolutely appalled at the filthy conditions and lack of service. The rooms were cold due to lack of heating and had not seen a duster for weeks, the draught through the windows was unbeleivable!!!! The meal in the restuarant was a complete fiasco with the order being taken down wrongly and the meal did not match the menu description. As for breakfast most of the time was spent counting the stains and dirty marks on the carpet and none of the tables were relaid, with dishes being left for the next occupant of the table and trying to get a clean cereal bowl was like asking for a trip to the moon. Reception staff were extremely scruffy and had no idea on the use of credit card machines, you would have have thought it was rocket science watching her trying to master it. We have all agreed that hell would have to freeze over before we stayed at this distgusting excuse for a hotel ever again!!!!

5 Thank PAM P