“Amazing hotel and grounds”

Stanton House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Carterton, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel and grounds”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Can not believe this is only a 3 star hotel. It looks fantastic. I did not stay in the room but I visited today to see family that were staying there and they told me the rooms are lovely. We sat outside and had cream tea whilst watching the sheep and swans. Was such a lovely afternoon I will come back with friends and relatives soon and will be recommending this hotel. The only downfall is it is all on a hill so is not very buggy/wheelchair friendly.

Stayed April 2014
Iain B, General Manager at Stanton House Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Really glad that you enjoyed your cream tea at the Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This is an 'ancient' converted manor house and was actually only built in 1935, but looks exactly in keeping. It's owned by Honda who use it for occasional visiting Japanese staff and families. It's popular at the weekends for weddings. Some of the staff are therefore Japanese and so is their cooking - interesting bar snacks and a Japanese BBQ restaurant. (Google Youtube videos for Staton House Japanese bbq)

The rooms are large and well equipped, staff are super helpful and the grounds are lovely - set in Staton Park overlooking the lake.

My only quibble is the breakfasts, they're only just good enough but with a bit more effort could be a lot better. (I tried the Japanese breakfast soup out of interest, it was disgusting :-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay and food, always looking at ways to improve and listen to our customers comments. Disappointed that you didn't like the Miso soup, I agree that it is an acquired taste.
Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed here for a sat night along with four other couples as we had a wedding reception nearby. The staff were very efficient and gave us a very nice welcome, our room was spacious, very clean and of a good standard.
Probably the best nights sleep I have had for a long time although this may have been due to the alcohol, but the bed was very comfortable. The hotel itself is also of a good standard in a very nice setting. Our only complaint was the breakfast which was of a very poor standard this was such a shame.

Room Tip: find some where else for breakfast.
Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank samsdad84
Iain B, General Manager at Stanton House Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that you found our breakfast to be such a poor standard, we offer freshly cooked food which may mean that guests have to wait for a short period. We will take you comments on board and look to improve our services and standards.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I stayed at the hotel as a wedding guest, (the actual wedding took place in the hotel). If you are thinking of using it for your wedding, it is well worth considering,( It has a large disco area/bar, eating area and good sitting area with bar - go and take a look).

We booked a room for two plus breakfast for £180 for two nights. This was a special wedding rate and probably the price would be the same but without the included breakfasts at any other time. The outside of the hotel is Elizabethan and well renovated and extended. It stands on a slope overlooking quite sensational grounds - ideal for wedding photographs or an early wake up walk.
Inside the hotel has been carefully modernised and is clean and comfortable. The rooms are not huge but big enough and the bathrooms are quite large. Watch out for the shower though, which is over a bath - the bath sides are quite high, no hand rails or bath mats, so if you have an older member of the family they may have some difficulty. Most rooms have great views but not all - you should enquire if it matters to you. You can have bigger if you are willing to pay the extra.
The food was better than adequate although getting a good bottle of wine was impossible but then the price of around £16 a bottle was about half of what I usually have to pay in hotels. In fact I found the drinks quite good value over all. Unlike the evening meals breakfast was eaten on tables without table cloths on a help yourself basis but I couldn't find anything wrong with the food, except they cook the food as it is required so sometimes there was a pause between courses - but then it was freshly cooked and the staff were friendly.

I enjoyed the whole occasion. You can see in places that they are aware of keeping the overheads down, hence four stars not five, but I have paid a lot more for no better and I definitely have plans to return there in the future - so five stars for value for money!

Room Tip: For the best views ask for a room facing the lake and avoid one overlooking the glass extension. My...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay and meal at the Hotel and thank you for your comments, we will always work on improving our level of service throughout the Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
UK
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of March. The hotel is located in a wonderful location outside Swindon but with quick and easy access to it, next to a delightful park with a lake. We enjoyed a leisurely walk round it despite the poor weather. The hotel is a very attractive building and our room was comfortable. The bed was a standard double but comfortable with good bedding.
We found it lacking a bit in atmosphere in the conservatory as the bar was closed, so didn't linger after having only one drink on Saturday evening. The only open bar was part of the restaurant so not quite as relaxing to sit in.
We had a very nice meal on Sunday evening - my husband enjoyed the Japanese selection.
Breakfast was ok, nothing outstanding about it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ThurlbyReviewer
Thank you for leaving your comments, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel and the surrounding area, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Somerset
Reviewed March 11, 2014

If you like Japanese food, then this is a delightful surprise with splendid sushi and excellent miso soup. We stayed one night en route to a party and found the staff very friendly and helpful. The parkland around the hotel and the lake is lovely and I wish we had had more time to explore and walk. So close to city sprawl this is a delightful oasis of green charm.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SomersetMothership
Iain B, General Manager at Stanton House Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, we are extremely happy that you enjoyed your Japanese meal and we look forward to welcoming you back soon, our Japanese "All you can eat" buffet which is served every Thursday night is proving very popular and offers a great choice of food, so you can try lots of new items.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We booked here for a little mini-break whilst visting the area nearby. We paid around £300.00 for three nights bed and breakfast and including a three course meal with glass of wine on the final evening. Check in was very quick however asking if it was possible for a candle in my boyfriends dessert for his birthday if they had one, I was told I would need to provide it myself, how exactly I was supposed to leave the hotel and head to sainsburys without him knowing I have no idea especially as we came in his car. Our room which we had booked which was room 128 was lovely, warm and homely with a selection of teas, coffee and hot chocolate. Dinner was lovley the steak I had was cooked just right, we also loved the Japanese twist to the hotel. Maybe an idea to stock the Chapel Down Wines as there wasnt any english wines on the menu.

Room Tip: Room 128 overlooked a court yard so was very quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Iain B, General Manager at Stanton House Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments, I am sorry that we were unable to provide you with a birthday candle, I am sure that we could have tried a little bit harder to assist you with this. We look forward to welcoming you again possibly on your birthday :)