“Country Re Treat”

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
birmingham
“Country Re Treat”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend at Stanton House Hotel, We had an Executive Suite and was not disappointed, Flat screen television, comfy double bed tea/coffee facilities fridge with complimentary drinks which were replenished when used, bath/shower ,although a couple of points ,getting in/out the bath /shower could be a little tricky for some people who suffer with joint problems as we thought it was a little higher than normal, and the other thing we noticed no toilet brush, there were plenty of electric sockets, plus robes& slippers and the door to the suite had a security chain and a peephole ,the walls are thin and sometimes a TV or toilet flush could be heard, The breakfast was a buffet type with enough choice for most people, we did not have dinner in the restaurant so can not comment on that,
we did order room service one afternoon
(the restaurant was closed for a wedding function)
We had an Angus beefsteak burger which had 2slices of bacon and a slice cheese and was accompanied with chips and salad which was delicious and very filling, The grounds are stunning, and there is also a gate that leads to the country park and lake which was lovely to stroll around and see the birds and feed the swans and ducks, we would definitely visit there again, but as other reviewers have pointed out we would only stay in a suite

Room Tip: If possible book a suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leisurelovers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Blakeney, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was absolute gem! Beautiful building, tastefully extended, and nestled away within easy reach of Swindon and the motorway, yet you felt as if you were miles from anywhere. The bedroom was superb - large for a start, with a good sized bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable, and beside having plenty of space, and a seating area, it was wonderfully quiet. The restaurant was excellent - well presented food at a reasonable price. I didn't try the Japanese menu, but it looked interesting. Service was good, and the bar/conservatory was comfortable, with a lovely outlook.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Dear Stanton House Hotel,

I am writing to complain about my recent experience on Sunday afternoon (06/10/2013) when I visited the hotel with my boyfriend for lunch.

We decided to pop into the hotel for a light lunch, the weather was lovely and it was an ideal place to sit and enjoy the sunshine whilst on your outdoor patio area. We ordered our food at 1.30pm - A Chicken Caesar salad and a Katsu Don with 2 soft drinks. I asked to have no anchovies in my salad (I have had caeser salads before that contain these and I am allergic). The waitress wrote this down on the order and made sure she would let the chef know.

We went to sit outside in the sun and wait for our food to arrive, about 10 minutes later we were given cutlery and a table number.

25 minutes later, a waiter came out to say 'the dressing for the salad contains anchovies, would you like me to ask the chef to make an alternative dressing?', I replied, yes please that would be great thank-you.

Nothing else was said, and no-one appeared to let me know if this was OK. At 2.30pm (an hour after we ordered our food), we were both very hungry and agitated that our food had taken so long - given that the bar area was not busy and other tables outside had arrived, been served and left within the time we were waiting!

I went into the bar and asked where our food was, a lady went off to check and 5/10 minutes later our food arrived. The waiters were not apologetic and we were not told why it had taken so long! My salad had NO dressing on it, and it was very dull and plain. I was very disappointed with the food and overall I would not recommend this as a place to come for lunch.

Had we not already paid, I would have walked away without payment. The meal was not worth the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mads1986
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed for two nights for a family wedding. The hotel is beautifully situated and styled for such an event and the staff were excellent and nothing was to much trouble. Would I stay here for anything else? Probably not. Rooms are dated and starting to be badly in need of an update. Owned by Honda and with it's high Japanese staff and restaurant, obviously for visitors to the factory. Everything else just seems to be a way of making the building and grounds earn it's keep.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank waringontour
prixjam devon
Reviewed September 7, 2013

What a beautiful experience...amazing manor house in superb surroundings. Plenty of places to sit and relax with excellent food (even a japanese restaurant) and amazing gardens to walk and relax in too. Ideal location for visiting historical sites, English heritage and only 20mins from stonehenge.

Room Tip: Single rooms not that big but adequate
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank erica030
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

You will not be disappointed if you stay at this hotel. It has a family run atmosphere but with an air of exclusivity. We have stayed here many times. As a couple and as a family. And have always left wishing we could stay longer. The food in the restaurant is excellent. The breakfast in the morning is wonderful with such a wide choice which is topped up regularly. The staff are friendly but are respect you if you want privacy. The rooms are perfect, especially the 4 poster rooms. All rooms have everything you could need including a fridge in each. Very clean, amazing setting and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: All rooms choices are excellent but the suites are by far the most wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

IMHO THIS HOTEL is set in the most beautiful location. It is in the middle of very quiet and green fields with a pond or a lake, and lovely trees. Absolutely beautiful. It is like being in the middle of the countryside. And yet is a 10£ cab ride into the centre of town. There is a bus aswell,20 minute walk away or so but I never used it.
The hotel has a terrific restaurant,which is good value and great food and a beautiful conservatory where you can sit and meet other guests and order sandwiches, coffee, scones etc. it reminds me of an Old English stately home.
I think it is Japanese owned as had some Japanese receptionists and a lot of Japanese guests.
Unfortunately the rooms let this hotel down. Firstly they are old, small and dark generally. I had a single room and changed about 3 times during my stay.
Now ironically having the most beautiful surroundings, I suspected the views from the room would be stunning to match. But no, the opposite. They had tiny windows,covered with a white curtain,so you couldn't see out of the window. What is the point??????
I removed the white curtain,and had to look out of the little window at a partial view of the fields. The internet sometimes worked and sometimes did not. The bed was small and the desk etc. the bathroom was the nicest aspect being newer than the rooms.
Reception were very nice and helpful. On a hot day the room was overly hot as there is no ac and dark in the daytime. I was much more comfortable sitting in the lovely bright and large conservatory.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo