“Expected More”

Stanton House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Fabulous setting, good location and chosen for a weekend break. We opted for a standard double but maybe should have selected a superior as it was very average. Sadly the room hadn’t been cleaned to a reasonable standard, hair in the bath, grubby toilet flush, dust on top of all pictures/mirrors and the bedside tables were very dusty when moved out. Bedside lamp not working on one side. Our booking apparently didn’t include breakfast at an additional cost of £10 per person per day which we considered high so decided to eat breakfast elsewhere. Wi-fi not working for first day, reported to reception but they didn’t inform us it was working on day 2, which we discovered by accident. This hotel is obviously a popular wedding venue, not a problem if you’re attending a wedding but on our 2nd night wedding guests were playing 5 aside football at 1am, very loudly right outside our window. I suggested they stop, which they did, but then just talked loudly until 3am. No sleep and an early start next morning. Wouldn’t stay again. Reported these issues to reception and was told they’d “pass it on”. Not satisfactory.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Grant E

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed end of July for a family wedding.. The grounds are beautiful big gardens and a lovely outdoor area with gorgeous big trees (perfect for climbing if you're a big kid) . All staff were lovely and polite and very helpful.. We arrived on the Friday had dinner in the main restaurant which was European/Japanese was really tasty and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Room was very lovely we stayed In a double room but personally think that the bed could have been bigger both myself and my partner are tAll and use a lot of the bed and this wasn't accommodating all be it a very comfortable bed. The tv was an older telly with basic channels no free view so maybe that could be updated. On the Saturday we went to breakfast where there was a full cooked and cold buffet and again was lovely. The wedding itself was beautiful and the spread the hotel put on was wonderful. There was no iron in the room but we asked for one at reception and the man went and got one for us along with a board(once we'd asked for one). Our kettle didn't work and a quick call to reception and it was replaced straight away. We had a lovely 2 night stay and would definitely stay again if we are in the area. We're from brighton so was a long drive for us but would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Chloe W
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife & I use the hotel reasonably often (dinner, some overnights and even a family wedding reception) and know the staff are generally OK. Today we only wanted to use the Japanese food shop. Having first checked the opening times online we went to the shop but it wasn't open. After 5 minutes I went to report this at reception but neither of the 2 receptionists knew the opening times. Once they realised it should already be open they asked me to return to the shop to await it's opening as they were going to make a call. After my wife and I waited another 10 minutes, I went back to the reception & asked why the shop had still not opened. The staff did not seem at all concerned. Once I asked to see the manager a member of staff was found to open the shop but by this time my wife had returned to the car.
The shop is not a big part of the hotel and the hotel might think that the shop customers do not matter to the hotel. We were disappointed by the attitude of the staff and would have liked some sort of apology (as anyone can make mistakes) but no one seemed to care.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The_Bengals
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Reception - friendly and courteous. Rest of the staff equally courteous.
Room - I stayed in a basic single room, thankfully the bed was larger than an ordinary single. Bathroom was clean and modern. Could have done with air conditioning though, stayed during one of the hottest weekends of 2013.
Food - breakfast was slightly overpriced compared to other establishments, a good selection on offer, standard full English, fruit, toast , cereals, yoghurt etc. evening meals are expensive in my opinion. Plenty of Japanese food on offer if you fancy something different.
Bar - Small selection of beer available, would of been nice to have had a little more choice
Location - very near major roads but far enough from civilisation. Set in fantastic grounds, it really is the selling point of this establishment.
Overall decent value for money, I'll be staying again next year!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed in the original part of the house overlooking the lake for two nights. Lovely views and quiet. Very clean and bed comfortable. Good breakfast. Beautiful well kept grounds. Recommend walking through the rear garden and accessing Stanton Park where you can take a leisurely walk around the Lake. Enjoy a delicious cream tea on your return. A spa would be fantastic...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our daughter had her wedding reception here a few years ago and we were very impressed then - this hotel is local to us. Quite a few wedding guests stayed the night and breakfast the next morning was excellent. All guests said their rooms were comfortable. Our very comfortable room overlooked Stanton Park lake. This hotel has a beaufiful walled garden and there is a great outside terrace area with a fabulous view over the quiet park/woodland area. We come here occasionally for cream teas when there isn't a wedding on, which are very good - there is also access from the park through the walled garden. The hotel is child friendly and our well behaved dog was allowed on the outside terrace, which is the best place to enjoy the cream teas. There is also a large conservatory to enjoy cream teas in the winter.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wiltsnanniekitty
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just found this on Booking.com when looking for someone to stay because central Swindon was too expensive. This is about 3-4 miles from central Swindon.

For the price I paid, this hotel is really good value for money. Looks to be an old manor type house, that's had an extension built in the same style.

I was given a room in the old house, with a view straight onto the lake at the back of the hotel. Room was spotless and bathroom was clean and tidy. Even had a small fridge in it. The staff were very good and helpful at all times during my stay

As a lot of Honda employees stay there, the restaurant is a mix of japanese and european, with a lot of sushi and noodle dishes. However this did make a rather nice change from the normal fish and chips, burgers and lasagne type of pub food that seems to make up a lot of hotel food these days.

And they did have Asahi japanese beer on tap. 5 out of 5 just for that in my view! I work in Swindon a lot, and this has just become my new default hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business