Stanton House Hotel
$58
  • Breakfast included
$66
$55
Jurys Inn Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
$55
  • Restaurant
Village Hotel Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
$50
DoubleTree by Hilton Swindon(Swindon)(Great Value!)
$75
Priceline
The Harrow Inn(Wanborough)
$73
Hotels.com
All reviewsjapanese foodafternoon tearosemary restauranteuropean menumiso soupjapanese themebeautiful hotelcream teacountry parkcotswold stonesconeslovely groundswowcher dealwedding venuefour postersingle roomevening meal
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just a 10 minute drive from Swindon I booked a single room for one night. The room was larger then I was expecting (not much smaller then what passes for a double in some hotels), with a 4' comfortable bed and a full-size bathroom with bath. A mini fridge was a useful feature, and there was a decent sized TV with about 14 terrestrial channels with mostly good reception. The decor is a little bit dated, but in good condition. My only niggle was that neither the room not bathroom radiators came on. I know it was July, but I would like to have been able to dry towels for re-use in the morning. Staff on the whole were helpful and pleasant,and the conservatory bar was much nicer and more useable then in most similar priced hotels. The overall appearance and presentation of the public areas was excellent, with all possible period features of this old building made the most of. It is hard to believe that the hotel is only 3 star rated, the quality of everything on offer is more akin to a 4 star, so I believe the Stanton House Hotel is a real gem when booked at the sort of rates available on the likes of LateRooms. I did see into a few double rooms that were being cleaned, they seemed very spacious and well equipped. Overall I'm very happy to recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RCimino
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was told this place did Japanese food and wanted to give it a go, I took a friend with me and there we went.
We were a nicely surprised on arrival, busy place but nice courteous staff and not in your face.
I went for the twisty menu, squid tempura and beef fillet for my main meal, my friend was more adventurous and went all out on sashimi and something else i can't memenber.
The food was superb, the staff was nice and the setting relaxing.
I will return,

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank alex51Devizes
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We came here tonight with high expectations of wonderful dinner but the food was filthy.

Firstly, on arrival, we were given menus but were offered no drinks. We had to collar a waitress with a frown across her face after about 20 minutes if we could have a few beers.

Once asking to order our food (we had to collar someone again after a long wait) it looked like we had put them out hugely by wanting to order food.

On arrival of food after waiting an incredibly long time (in a half empty restaurant), it arrived over cooked and cold. We were not asked how the food was and they were very surprised when we said we wanted to return the edamame beans.

When our main course arrived (once again after an incredibly long time). One meal was sent back straight away. The meal was of a breadcrumbed number but the breadcrumbs were soft and mushy. Had to ask for something else and was told that there would be a long wait for this. Food was spat out on plates.

At no point during our meal were we asked if we wanted drinks, we had to go to the bar to order and no one seemed to be fazed by the fact that we were highly unsatisfied with our meal.

The staff at this restaurants need to be shaken up. They all need to learn some customer services skills and a smile would also be nice.

Wouldnt bother wasting your time or money here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shitarki
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were greeted by a receptionist with little grasp of the English language, who forgot to point out that the hotel was about to have NO water the evening of our stay.
An evening in the restaurant found my girlfriends chicken curry to have more skin than meat. The staff were apologetic and offered an alternative, a fatty fillet steak. Disappointing.
On retiring to our room, we were woken by an infestation of flying ants !!!
Breakfast in the morning carried the same hap hazard service, staff who seemed out of their depth.
This Japanese owned hotel tells me they have absolutely NO attention to detail, I won't be buying a Honda!!!!
Very disappointing stay.......

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TGM1961
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We visited the hotel for a friends wedding and whilst our friends had a great time - after all this was the most important thing, the hotel overall is in need of some major investment and love!
Stanton house as a building is stunning and set in some beautiful grounds, however the interior simply doesn't deliver. The hotel rooms are standard and that's being generous. The bed was sooooo small and the mattress had seen better days. The decor was tired and out dated and cleaning of the room was ok but not fantastic. The staff could do with a lesson in customer care (however the wedding co ordinator is an exemption to this comment,who was far better than Stanton). I asked for a newspaper to read when we had time to kill prior to the wedding and anyone would of thought I was asking for mission impossible! The receptionist was rude and not helpful. The breakfast was SO poor. Have you ever stayed in a hotel where you have to collect a tray and self serve like in a transport cafe?! Well this is how they do things here. Food is poor quality - supplier own condiments - come on, branded products really don't cost that much more. Cleaning was also poor in and around the restaurant with visible dust in many areas. Honda the car company own this place, as they have a factory near by and all the it oversea Big Wigs stay here- my suggestion stick with what you know, as running hotel is a different game - believe me I have worked in hotels for years. Stanton could be AMAZING but it needs major investment, I would suggest a spa desperately needs adding to attract customers and make stays more enjoyable. Stanton have been doing deals with Groupon - you have to ask yourself why?!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple