“Simple & superb” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
London, United Kingdom
“Simple & superb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

As someone who used to work for a global hotel chain (IHGs competitor!) I have harsher standards than the average guest.

HI Swindon - well done and thank you for a great stay (rm 113). Superb value for money and even though I had an adapted room I was more than happy. In fact, I quite liked that room.

Jade checked me in and was extremely friendly, professional, and a speedy check in. Every team member is multi skilled and so they don't have any sense of being short staffed. Every team member was very friendly too.

Breakfast was fairly basic but good enough to get my day started. I'd love it if the juice wasn't quite so sweet and sickly but a dash of water sorted that out.

The only thing I'd give constructive feedback on - air con. I hadn't spotted the radiator in the wall sou was trying to get warm air from air con. Receptionist sent up Engineering rather than simply telling me there was a radiator to use I instead. No disaster though!

Without doubt I'll be back. Superb value for money and a great nights sleep!

Justin

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Justin S
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Justin,

Thank you for choosing to stay with Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre. We were very pleased to read that we withstood the test of an ex Hotel Manager of a Global Brand (Hilton?) as I know from my own experience, when I am staying away, I turn into a Hotel Inspector myself, often being harsher than usual. The one thing that will always make the difference to me is the Customer Service and therefore I am delighted that you found Jade and the rest of our Team to be forthcoming and friendly, making a real difference to your stay. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Its not very oftern you stay at a holiday inn and the staff are chatty and smiles but this hotel was full of it, would recommend to stay here, this is our 3 rd time we stayed here and definatly the best. We will be going back, the only slight complaint i would have (but not the hotels fault) is the one way system, it was a nightmare

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bristolbest
Dear PaulMasonBristol,

Thank you for your repeat custom, and your kind words here on TripAdvisor. They were received with sincere gratitude. Public praise, such as yours, is a great reward for us as we are very passionate about delivering personable customer service to all of our guests, and so it is nice to see that the seed of our efforts has come to fruition. Once again, thank you for your stay and we look forward to seeing you soon.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I had a four week stay here for business. IHG are not "cheap", but they are a budget chain.

From the minute I arrived, I was treated to fantastic service. And I am not talking about one or two people. Every single staff member, no matter how busy they were, were very attentive and always went that extra mile to help. I noticed that the younger staff members took their cues from the senior staff like Robert & co. Nothing was too much trouble.

I have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels that could learn something about customer service from this team.

Room Tip: Go higher if you can. There are a few pubs at the bottom of the city here, so you can get less noise...
Dear PRFitz,

Thank you for staying with us and your lovely comments, they were received with great pleasure. We try our utmost to meet all of Guests' individual needs. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed for one night as part of a larger party. The location is central and with that does come the usual city centre problems - noise, litter, drunks, etc. But once you're inside the hotel it's fine.

We were welcomed by Robert who was great. Polite and friendly and made sure everybody had rooms and everything they needed.

My room was large and spacious and was typical Holiday Inn Express. Free wifi was also a bonus. The bathroom was a little small and pokey and there was a suspect stain on the floor but overall a nice room.

Breakfast was better than I've seen at other Holiday Inn Express' but still nowhere near up to a 'good hotel standard' ... but then it's free I suppose! Didn't pay for the room so can't comment on value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear simonp820,

Thank you for staying with us. (I think you had no choice :-) ), and for sharing your feedback with the rest of the TripAdvisor community. We are always pleased when the Guests remember the Front Desk Agents' name (Robert - Duty Manager) as this indicated that they really made themselves stand out and made the difference to your stay. Needless to say of course that Robert was equally delighted to read you comments. As you identified with regards to breakfast, it is a Free Offering that should provide a good value to our Guests. Our scrambled egg is made in house by a Chef and we source our sausages from a butcher. Our Continental selection is also great, so there is something for everyone. Thank you oncer again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Guisborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a clean modern hotel typical of its genre - friendly professional staff with good facilities. The location however is not great. There is no on site parking and the hotel is in the seedier end of town on a one way system that must have been designed by committee. A major junction is even signed as "The Magic Roundabout" so someone has a sense of humour but it was lost on me as I took my life in my hands in negotiating the traffic and trying to locate road signs.Swindon is not blessed with many restaurants ( there are none on the High street after 6pm) so we decided to eat in - a basic menu but little could go wrong we thought. We decided on fish and chips with peas - it arrived with salad complete with dressing - no peas and nobody thought to ask whether this was acceptable - how can a restaurant run out of peas?
We left the salad and ate a very dry and overcooked fish along with chips ( heated from frozen) I then decided to have a sponge pudding but again the "chef" had obviously not read the microwave instructions as it too was overcooked and a knife was needed to cut the base .We asked for a separate portion of ice cream for my wife but this proved to be a problem as well . When asked if everything was OK I said that although our expectations were not high - it was all rather poor. We were given a bottle of wine on the house - not something I wanted. Room was clean and well equipped and with free Wi Fi no complaints there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GuisboroughJeff
Dear GuisboroughJeff,

First of all I would like to apologise about your dinner experience and I cannot but agree on all points with you. I know this will be of no consolation to you, but are now employing an Executive Chef to ensure that the Menu and the food quality alike are better than great. In addition to this as a direct consequence of your comments the Senior Management of the Hotel are doing random quality checks at peak times.

Swindon: Unfortunately like many other towns in UK, Swindon is a network of one way streets, and if you miss a turning, then you are left with nothing more than having to go around the whole town again. As much as we'd love to, unfortunately we cannot do anything that can affect this.
Once again thank sharing your feedback and I hope that if you do stay at the Holiday Inn Express - Swindon City Centre, you will find a great deal of improvement on our Restaurant front.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed for two night B&B at the end of September. Very much on the lines and standards of Premier Inn. The staff were professional, friendly and helpful. The room was functional, clean and tidy. Breakfast is decent quality and you can eat as much as you want. The meal I had in the restaurant on Monday night was excellent; £12.95 for a large horseshoe of grilled gammon, two fried eggs, grilled tomato, peas, salad and chips. Very good value for money.

I've given it 4/5 for location because the hotel is only a couple of minutes walk from the railway station. If you're travelling by car it's a differnt matter especially if you don't know your way around Swindon and it's ring road and one-way system even with a satnav Car parking is available at the railway station car park for a concessionary £6.00 a day.

I'd stay at this hotel again without any hesitation but next time I'd go by train. It would be much easier.

Dear Brian S,

Thank you for you stay and your review. We always like to hear when people recognise the Brand offerings such as: Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Limited Dinner Menu, - which is to provide a good value. Friendly and professional customer service is what we do, and we were all pleased that you found it to be true. Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Swindon!

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I spent 5 nights in Holiday INN City Centre Swindon. First to address positive sides: location at walking distance from the train station, good breakfast, friendly and efficient staff, comfortable bed. On the other hand, room and bathroom look quite old, but reasonably clean. Also street below my windows was quite noisy, with cars and peolpe shouting late at night. City centre of Swindon itself is quite empty after the shops close at 6 pm, which did not feel quite safe to me.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Svetlana348,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre for your accommodation needs and sharing your experiences with the rest of the TripAdvisor community. I am delighted that you found our Hotel, the clean rooms, plentiful breakfast and efficient and friendly staff to your satisfaction. With regards to the Swindon Town Centre, as you rightly identified, once the shops had closed till about 8pm when most of the restaurants, local clubs and traditional pubs open, in the interim period isn't much happening, although generally speaking the location for this reason works to our advantage as we can offer something for everyone. (Shopping Centres, Museums, Restaurants - various cuisines, Pubs, Clubs, Train station, Bus Station, etc. - all within walking distance) Once again thank you for staying with us and hope that you will decide to stay with us on your next visit to Swindon.