“Comfortable bed, terrible breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked through booking.com and got a great deal £47 for one night two people, including breakfast. The check in process was very slow, I've stayed at Holiday Inns all over and this one didn't have staff who were the brightest of the bunch. Each shift had staff who I would wonder why they were working in the hospitality industry and others who were very, very slow.

The actual room was small but sufficient, the bed was comfortable and we did sleep well.

The breakfast though - if we'd known then what we know now we would have swerved it completely. It felt like we were flung back to school days with people lining up for food that was cold, non existent and generally bad. They kept running out of hot items; the only thing that was hot was the half-cooked sausages. The eggs were cold, the coffee was dreadful (they have two coffee machines which look state of the art but wouldn't know hot water if it got poured all over them).

For the £47 room night we'd have preferred to go out and pay for breakfast.

Room Tip: facing away from the noisy pubs
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Sharon J,

Firstly I would like to apologise for your breakfast experience. Also I would like to thank you for staying with us and your valuable feedback. We appreciate your comments as this helps us to improve.
Staffing: We currently have a few staff members that are undergoing training, so please excuse the delay in your check in and the service staff. Moving forward we will ensure that the staff members are wearing 'Trainee' Name badges.
Breakfast: As a direct action to your feedback we have now rearranged the breakfast layout, added more favourites, doubled up on core items, provided additional seating, added another toaster, milk per gal dispenser, etc. In addition to this we have also provided an extensive training for all of our staff members. Once again thank you for your comments and I genuinely hope that you do decided to stay with us in future.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

A night out with my partner turned awful, the room we was booked into actually had someone else in it!!! Then the staff were swearing in front of us because they had no idea what was going on! The second room the tried to put us in also had someone in it, the third room the put us in was only vacated 30mins before we arrived, and the receptionist was in tears and swearing in the reception, basically I would never stay here every again!!! Awful service, rude staff, staff were also untidy in the uniform and dirty!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear kirstyhicks89,

The issues you raised are of a very serious nature and as such I would really appreciate if you could contact me directly on operations@exhiswindon.co.uk and help me shed more light on the matters above and try to restore your patronage in the Brand and our Hotel in particular, as this is most definitely not a representation of our customer service offering . I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nice hotel, lovely girl who checked me in, nice room too. Had a room on the top floor, half decent view across the town. The one thing that really disappointed me was the breakfast. What a disaster zone. It was chaos, even though I left it until quite late to go down to eat. Twice I queued up to get some eggs, beans etc, but they ran out of plates. Managed to get some toast (no plate), there was no cutlery. When I asked one girl if I could have a knife, she just grunted something and walked off. I ended up spreading butter and marmite with a dessert spoon!!! The scene was awful, no free tables, dirty plates and cutlery everywhere, clearly not enough staff. Really spoilt my stay, not sure I would stay here again, and I'm not normally one to complain.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Carl J

Dear Carl J,

Firstly I would like to apologise for your breakfast experience. Thank you for staying with us and your valuable feedback. We appreciate your comments as this helps us to improve.

Once again please accept our sincere apology, and we hope that this will not deter you from staying with the Brand in future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

arrived for a one night stay on sat 24 aug , but the company we booked with had not passed our booking on to the hotel. The 2 staff on the checkin desk sorted the problem out very quickly and efficiently. They were very friendly and helpful.
Our room was very comfortable and clean. The continental breakfast was very good even though it was very busy. The staff worked very hard.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear 787rnj,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and your comments. We really appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I enjoyed my stay throughly, great facilities! Lots of choice for breakfast, bacon would have improved it 10 fold! After a great stay and friendly staff, there was a mishap that was disappointing and annoyed me a lot. We were told we still had an outstanding balance even though we had ore booked and paid it all. The person that came to deal with it was actually very rude and quite condescending and insisted that she needed a bank statement for proof. I just found it so unprofessional and I felt there may have been some stereotyping going on as we were a fairly loud and young group and weren't treated with much respect basically customer service wasn't really happening. In the end, she found that we had paid and apologised, but I felt it was too little too late. Hopefully won't ever have to go back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Andrej K, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear PS,

I would like to thank you for staying with Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre and your time to share your experience with us and the rest of TripAdvisor community. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us bar the last incident. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me on operations@exhiswindon.co.uk to discuss further your experience and thus help to improve our Service to You. I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went and stayed at the Holiday Inn at the beginning of August and got the family room. The rooms were to a good standard, quite comfy and nothing to complain about! The sofa bed on the other hand was really uncomfortable, I could literally feel the springs in my back the whole night, I'd recommend getting an extra duvet and laying it down on top of the mattress, after this it was fine! We were only provided with two teacups, when they knew there would be three people! There was no plug points near the bed, which I found annoying, but there was a medium flat screen tv with decent freeview channels. The breakfast while we stayed there was awful, I would recommend eating out! The fruit juice was too concentrated I had to water it down to be able to drink it! There was one member of staff, who worked there during the nights, and she made our stay fun, while we were relaxing in the lobby area, she gave us cards and dominos to play with, and recommended a few card games to play, which I thought was lovely! Other than that the trip was good, not too much to complain about. :)

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear PavR8,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I would also like to thank you for your feedback. I have now reinforced the Hotel Policy on additional guests in the rooms and the supplies thereof with the Head Housekeeper. I also passed on your kind words to Carly (nights) and she was thoroughly pleased she could help and entertain. Breakfast on the weekends is very busy as majority of the guests come down between 9.00 and 10.00 which is very overwhelming especially if the Hotel is full. We try to encourage Guests to come down at various times to ensure consistency of breakfast items and service delivery, however, everybody likes a lie in on a weekend. Nonetheless I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here last year for the price of £50 or £55. We checked in around 10pm.. The check in was fast and easy.. The receptionist guy was very nice and friendly.. We were happy with our room..it was spacious, comfortable bed, all lights were working, clean room and bathroom too.

The only problem we had, which isn't really a problem was the flush of their toilet bowl was weak..so when it won't flush, we had to call the reception.. The same guy that checked us in came in knocking at our door within 5minutes and he managed to fix everything in no time.

Breakfast was included..it was a buffet and there were a lot of selection.. From freshly cooked eggs and sausages, there were also a variety of cereals, brioche and other bread.. variety of juices included too aside from coffee, tea and water.

Overall, we were happy with our stay and would stay here again..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Maii_21,

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your comprehensive feedback. I am ever so glad you found everything to your liking and that you had a good time. We look forward to welcoming you in future.