“Be prepared for noise” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
England
“Be prepared for noise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

Very pleasant staff and helpful, clean rooms, nice hotel. However at night the street below is full of low life screaming and shouting and we looked out to see police vehicles being loaded with handcuffed youths whilst males punched females, bottles were thrown around, cars thumped and jumped on and so on. The noise prevented us sleeping until it was almost time to get up and we felt like death warmed up as we drove away. It's a shame that local low life spoils this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the road/bars side
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RainbowThanet
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Dear Rainbow Thanet,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am particularly happy to hear that you have found our staff very pleasant and helpful, and that the rooms’ cleanliness met you expectations. My team and I are very passionate and focused on offering our guests the best possible experience and we were very pleased to hear your comments on this point. I am however sorry to hear about your comments regarding noise and the police cars. The Swindon Central Police station is situated right across the street hence the amount of police cars parked nearby. While the position of the police station further enhances our team's confidence and security of the hotel/guests, based on your feedback it does seem that on this occasion Swindon experienced a more eventful night than usual. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the noise experience and to assure that this is an unusual situation: Swindon is generally a very lovely and quiet place. Our team hopes to welcome you back at the hotel soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Rochdale, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

No parking, No heating, No sound on the TV, The food was so bad i did'd eat it,
The aircon didnt work so they gave me a fan heater that did'nt work; then they gave me a new heater and an extra duvet to keep warm that had blood on it
I went to get some food that was not worth eating but to be honest they refunded the cost.
This hotel should eithr have some serious work done on it or pulled down
Just don't go there

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank fhoyle
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered during your stay and I am grateful for bringing the matter to my attention. I have also passed your comments regarding heating to our Maintenance Manager who is investigating the matter. I am also sorry to hear about your dinning experience as we go to great lengths to provide the best dinner experience to all our guests. In order to better understand our guests’ feedback and preferences we carry out monthly one week survey of our guests' dinning experience. We take on board all feedback as an opportunity to continuously improve and we do generally get good feedback on our dinning experience. For example, during the last survey we carried out 89.30% of the guests indicated that the flavour of the food is within the good and excellent flavour, 93.10% indicated that the portion size is "Just right", 89.30% indicated that the presentation is within the good and excellent range. However, we do understand that at times situations may occur when the guest expectations are not met and I am happy to hear that my team refunded the meal and tried to put it right. Obviously, this doesn't change your experience and I take this opportunity to apologize for the matters described. You have also mentioned the inconvenience of not having a car park. While the hotel does not own its own car park, the car park situated across the street provides 24 hours security and is only 5 minutes away from the hotel. We have also thoroughly investigated your comments regarding blood on the duvet and we could not identify the issue described. I would like to assure you though that all laundry is regularly serviced/cleaned by a very reputable supplier in the area. Dear Sir, it is our aim to provide the best possible experience to all our guests and I would appreciate if contacted me directly at the hotel for a further conversation on your experience. I look forward to hear from you soon.

Travelers are raving about these Swindon hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

I am Priority Club Gold member and this is my first stay in HI Express.This hotel is right in city center but no own parking.Better call first to ask the detials about parking if you happens to drive to Swindon.It's not easy to find the parking even with GPS.Postcode didn't help but luckily i got a map from the reception.I might just take train to Swindon on the next trip.
You need to push a button on ground floor before able to enter the building. Go up to Lobby level for check in.Check in was smooth and i was offered Point vouchers for Golden Member.The room is clean and neat.I notice there is a portable heating unit so it looks the central heating is not working.Since its just one night should be fine and i slept well anyway.Breakfast is a mix of hot and cold.It's adequate for me . My only comments just the power socket is hidden behind the TV and i need to moved the TV to access it. Wireless broadband was okay for general use.Since this is a corporate hotel means i shall be returning.At least, i know there is no room upgrade for Gold member as all the room are the same.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rashdan R
Constantin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Mr. Rashdan,

I am glad to hear that you have found your stay adequate to your needs. I acknowledge your comments regarding the car park and heating. While the hotel does not own its own car park, the car park situated across the street provides 24 hours security and is only 5 minutes away from the hotel. I have also passed your comments regarding heating to our Maintenance Manager who is investigating the matter. In addition to the heating system, we have taken the decision to provide every room with an extra heater in order to further enhance guest's comfort, particularly due to an unusually cold January and February. Finally, I am very happy to hear that you felt recognized as a Gold Priority Club member and we look forward to welcome you back at the hotel in the near future.
Greenock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We have just returned from a stag party staying at this hotel. Cost worked out at £20 each night(based on 3 sharing and B&B), we stayed 3 days in total.

The hotel is very central to Swindon town centre which suited us as we were able to walk/stagger to and fromt eh various pubs. Staff were very pleasant and always willing to help and the room sizes, whilst tight for 3 adults, was OK.

Just a couple of points in general:

The hotel backs on to a number of pubs so you almost will certainly hear noise from surrounding properties maybe until 3 in the morning, I dont know if those at the other side of the building would still have problems.

The heating wasnt the best and we had to borrow a heater for our entire duration.

All in all it was what we expcted for £60 each for 3 nights- somewhere to lay our head and a nice central base.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank IanH82
Dear IanH82,

I am glad to hear that we have met your expectations with regards to your stay. I was very happy to hear your comments regarding our staff's helpfulness and I will make sure to pass your thoughts to team as well. We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel.
Llanbedr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed for a 2 night weekend break with our 12 year old son. We found the staff extremely helpful. On arrival, we were upgraded to a bigger room, which had become available due to a cancellation. The young man on reception seemed to have responsibility for everything - having checked us in, he came up to the room with us to make up the sofa bed for our son and was still working the next morning, helping to clear breakfast tables! We paid £44 per night for our family room, including breakfast, which, I would imagine, is hard to beat! We were disturbed on the second night by guests returning from a night out and talking loudly in the corridor for a prolonged period, but when we called Reception about this, the phone was answered promptly and we were assured that the problem was being dealt with. The cleaning staff were friendly and polite. The room was warm, despite sub zero temperatures outside, and the hotel is just a few minutes walk away from excellent restaurants. We particularly recommend Da Vinci's Italian restaurant. The hotel is also a ten minute walk from Swindon's Steam Museum.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Qurumh,

Thank you for your complimentary comments about Holiday Inn Express Swindon City Centre, the warmth of the room and the helpfulness of our front office staff and housekeeping staff. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your appreciation to all those people involved in delivering your experience. We look forward to welcome you back at some point in the future.
Mazarron, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Coming back from a stay in Italy we broke our journey at this hotel, getting to check in was a mundane experience as you had to press a button outside to release the door then get a lift to the lobby, the area has night clubs and pubs all around, and not a place to venture out although it was opposite a police station with officers posted around, presumably for expected trouble.There certainly was noise until about 3a.m.

After collecting our key and taking the lift to the room we commented on how cold it was, then when we got to the room found the only heat was from a small portable fan heater, and its minus 3 outside!!!!

Next morning at breakfast, I enquired why there was no central heating at the hotel, and was told they were negotiating a heating contract!!!

How can a hotel operate this way?

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the noise if youcan
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geebee2546
Dear geebee 2546,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with the heating and I am grateful for bringing the matter to my attention. I have also passed your comments to our Maintenance Manager who is investigating the matter. I am also sorry to hear about the misunderstanding regarding the re-negotiation of a new maintenance contract as this is purely a contractual issue, which affects in no way the experience described. It is our aim to provide the best possible experience to all our guests and I would appreciate if contacted me directly at the hotel for a further conversation on your experience. I look forward to hear from you soon.
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

this was a great hotel for central location to stay at when out visiting family and friends. very clean hotel, friendly staff. rooms were of a good standard, bit basic - small tv's could be a little larger and more pillows. bathrooms were brilliant with a multi function door that shut off either the toilet for privacy or the whole bathroom.

There were vending machines on the floor of reception if i remember rightly. Breakfast was a nice buffett spread but a little thin on the ground if you are last down to breakfast.

Could do with lowering the price as you pay similar at say a hilton and they provide leisure facilities.

just because it is holiday inn doesn't mean it is cheap!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends