“Nice but heavy”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Wow! For 11,95 I got poppadooms and relishes, a pretty decent sheek kebab (two tasty kebabs and green salad), a nice and fiery lamb tikka vindaloo, unusually spided up (suits me!) tharka dal and the best of all: a truly wonderful peshwari nan that you wouldn't excpect to get in downtown Swindon.

The staff were very friendly, the restaurant is nicely decorated and clean. So how come only four stars instead of full five?

Well, the cooking at Aby's in very Anglo-Indian in the sense that they use massive amounts of ghee (butter) even by Swindonian curry house standards. Thus every dish is very heavy and greasy. I don't mind the calories, but excessive use of ghee means that you can't eat very much of this lovely food. And that's a shame! On the other hand I now have the leftovers for lunch...

The 11,95 offer is from Sunday to Thursday. I can recommend Aby's to those Indian food lovers who don't mind their curries heavy. For a slightly lighter Indian experience in Swindon there's for example Lalbagh in Rodbourne.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We ordered from here mainly because of the mid week deals, eg

£15.95 for starters, mains and some sides

Also average price for mains are a fiver compared to £8/9+

The food is not ground breaking but of a high standard and make a sneaky week day indian affordable.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Lovely little place on Farringdon road always a warm welcome.

This place has won many awards in the town for best curry and it's easy to see why.

You do get treated like a king on arrival, I used to go with my Dad and we would have our dinner and some beers only to be offered a free beer (even though we weren't having a dessert) by the owner.

Wide selection they will also accomdate requests if it's not on the menu also.

well worth a visit!

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Now that Iv'e discovered Groupon I have been to many restaurants I would not normaly use and in some the food and service have been poor.At Aby's the service could not be faulted and the food was as described on the menu,hot, freshley cooked,and what we failed to eat they put into a container for us to take home.

1  Thank loulouGb
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here many times and while it remains nice it has lost its touch slightly main meal was nice but naan bread was very dry! Will try somewhere else next time!