“IF YOU WANT GREAT FOOD IN AN ATMOSPHERIC PUB WITH FRIENDLY SERVICE THEN STAY WELL CLEAR OF THIS PLACE!”
Review of The Black Horse - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Black Horse
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Booked for husbands birthday meal on a sunday. As soon as we walked into this place we knew it was going to be awful. Terrible atmosphere (no background music) with 2 burly and heavily tattooed bikers sat by door as you walked in. Much smaller than what we had imagined and couldn't see the so called view as two other tables with 6 diners sat in the 'premier' spot. View out of the other window near us wasn't great and needed cleaning. We weren't acknowledged by 2 people behind the bar when we arrived but lady was pleasant enough taking our drinks order. Other man looked grumpy and faffing around with a laptop and completely ignored us. Our table was in line with a dartboard where people were playing so didn't feel too comfortable with having a dart thrown in the side of my head. The food was absolutely shockingly terrible! 2 of us ordered the pork and 3 the gammon. Clearly they had run out of pork and were trying to stretch it around, along with the wilted and microwaved vegetables that were to serve 5 of us - 1 person more like. 2 tiny slithers each of meat for 2 grown men. Everything was cold. The gammon arrived but the proportion against the pork was gigantic and it was chewy. The yorkshire puddings were burnt, hard and cold and would have been better off being used as frisbees. Absolute joke of a meal and yet, the lady who served us couldn't see the problem! We walked out without paying for anything and they didn't even try to apologise. TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE FOOD, TERRIBLE PLACE. Very misleading web pictures on their site. By comparison, the Bakers Arms at Badbury absolutely lovely with really friendly atmosphere - go there instead!

Reviewed September 6, 2011

My mum, my dad and I decided it would be nice to go out into the sticks of Swindon to experience a bit of real British food. My parents looked at this place and had noticed it was recently under new management. So we decided to try it out.
When we arrived, we weren't disappointed with the appearance of the outside at all. Nice tradtional English pub. However, when you get inside it is a totally different story. Small, too quiet (everyone can listen in to your conversation) and quite outdated. Also, as you walk in the door, there are a few scraggy pieces of paper with a minimal choice of food. Not quite the same as what the website claimed they offered.
We were served drinks by a lovely gent who was very attentive and friendly. When we ordered our food he asked if we wanted a choice of 'double fried chips in beef dripping'. Sound slightly appealing? It wasn't, it gave me and my mum stomach ache for two days even after I'd spent two hours hugging the toilet bowl. Not pleasant.
My mums burger was also well under cooked. We sent it back no problems and he was perfectly polite. But half an hour later, the burger returned in an even worse state. It was more like charcoal rather than meat and the bun was like a lump of stone. The salad had welted and the chips had obviously been sat for half an hour waiting for the burger to be recooked. It was totally inedible. My dads meal was perfectly fine. He has a lamb pie with mash (which probably explains why he wasnt ill).
When it came to paying, my dad explained the situation and the kind bar tender said we will half your bill.
After apologising so gracefully we left bitterly disappointed and a little under the weather.

Service - top marks
Food - Appauling
Atmosphere - Average
Attractive - Very!

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Having been to The Black Horse before and had a good meal, and as it was a nice day lets do lunch !!!!!!
Are order was for 1 small wine a pint of cider and 2 jackets spuds price £23.50.
Said we would sit in the garden, after waiting over half an hour it arrived. The plate was so hot I couldn't touch it, and as it had a cold salad on it will a oil dress, need I say more !!!!!!!!!!
The jacket spud was it self almost cold, and by then I had had enough, so we left, even leaving my wine !!!!!!!!!!!!
So if you want crap food that is over priced, please go here.