“Could of been much better !”
Review of The Cold Harbour

The Cold Harbour
Ranked #48 of 454 Restaurants in Swindon
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Situated just off the A419 in Swindon and next to a Premier Inn Large Restaurant dining area and further space to dine in our bar area. Great choice of Menu offering lunch and evening meal deals, fantastic selection of main meals and seasonal specials. Nice size garden for the summer.
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

On the off chance my and my girlfriend decided to stop here before going to see sone dog racing. A friendly welcome, and a table for two in the corner. Didn't seem overly busy but most tables full, as we had to be at the dogs for 8pm(we arrived at 7pm) orderd our food 7.10pm after 40mins we asked where our food was the friendly lady told us we had a another couple of tables to serve which was fine bur we told the lady why hadn't someone told us there would be a long wait as we have a table waiting for us at the dog racing, she went off camw back five minutes later and told us we would of missed the racing as it starts at 7.30and our food will be out after the next table.

Now for one I dont mind waiting but at least they could of told me how long it is going to be(if longer than 30mins), and two how the the lady thought it was ok as the racing started at 7.30 so we had missed the dog racing anyway, I had arranged to meet friends at 8pm. Don't tell me its ok that our food is late as we have missed the start of the racing anyway, thats just bad service in my book.

Food arrives, looks very good and first taste of the boar buger is good, onion rings are under cooked almost raw the coating is excellent though, the girlfriend had seabass which she said was good, but the sweet potato was also pretty much raw or very under cooked.

Such a shame could of beenva lovely night at the cold harbour, I will not be back.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Booked in advance for a table of 6 on a Saturday evening.

Booked the table for 7.30pm and arrived promptly and we were shown to our table which was perfect. We were informed that the waitress would be back shortly to collect our orders but there was a short delay as the kitchen needed to 'catch up'.

About 20 minutes later the waitress came back to collect our order and a full 40 minutes later at 8.30pm our starters arrived. We weren't in a rush but with children to wait an hour was a bit painful. Only one child had a starter so when the starters arrived we asked if we could have the main for the other child and were told this was OK.

However, nothing arrived and it didn't come until we all got our main meals at about 9.20pm, meaning the little man had to wait almost two hours for something to eat.

The food itself was good but the service very slow, and I;m sorry that will be the thing that sticks in our minds when looking to book again. Second time we have visited and had no issues the first time hence we returned...will be thinking twice about going again.

We expressed our dissatisfaction at the time and were given a discount on the final bill.

Personally, having worked in a number of establishments it needs a manager, someone that can take control and is visible. We had visited a local carvery in the afternoon and straight from the off you could see who was in charge....not here, to me everyone was a waiter or a waitress, not a manager.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We ate here Saturday night, it was very busy so service was slow but to be expected. Good quality was poor, lacked any seasoning other than doing salt and pepper yourself and they had a real lack of skill with the seafood dishes. The scallops were overdone, the fish pie had prawns more akin to pencil rubbers and the cod was chewy and tasteless. The chicken dishes on the other hand were nice as was the Stilton mushroom starter. Shame really that the meal was spoilt.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I reviewed The Cold Harbour in Jan 14 and despite some concerns, decided to give it another go for lunch. I visited with the same friends as before and our experience couldn't have been more different. The service was fast, efficient and friendly; the food, as usual, was really good. I'll be adding it back to my 'trusted' list!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were staying in the Premier Inn for Valentine's weekend, booked a table at the Cold Harbour for Friday Night, the food was superb and so was the service by Charlotte, we enjoyed our food that much that we booked a table for the Saturday night as well, we were told when our order was taken that they were very busy and the food would be with us as soon as they could, a little while later it arrived, and again was superb, steaks cooked to how we wanted and again the service was good, and again we enjoyed it that much that we decided to have Sunday lunch before we headed home, again food was superb and the service by Charlotte was fantastic, only one thing I would say, we had breakfast on the Saturday morning, think must have been a different chef, little disappointing, not the selection, that was superb but the cooking of the breakfast not so good! overall a lovely weekend with superb food and service, will definately return.