“Pretty decent rooms and food”

Village Hotel Swindon
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Swindon
Singapore, Singapore
“Pretty decent rooms and food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Room was pretty OK - king sized bed and the normal amenities. What the other reviewers said about the lack of lighting was true - room was a little dark as the few lamps there were quite dim. Came back at about 8:15pm and the carpark was full - had to wait awhile until someone left. We took the dinner and breakfast package. For dinner we ate at Buca (the Italian restaurant) - portions were huge and quality was overall pretty good. The service was great and our waitress accommodated our requests. Breakfast was also served at Buca and was also quite good - traditional British breakfast. Small complaint was at checkout - our bill had an optional GBP1.00 charity donation added which we said was fine. After that they said we had to pay an additional service fee of GBP2.50 for using our credit card. This was not made known anywhere before we booked online or even at check-in. As we were in a hurry, we just paid up and left but felt somewhat peeved at the surprise charges.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southwold, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at a few budget hotels for work recently I was pleasantly surpised here. The room was clean if a little dark and the bed was comfortable. The on-site facilities were more than adequate. I will aimto stay here again the next time I am in the area which is always the acid test.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed over for a short one night stay as we were househunting in the Cotswolds with our two young children. Whilst not really my first choice in accommodation, after a full day in the car viewing houses, we wanted to treat the kids to something that would be fun for them and we weren't disappointed. Its lively without being too loud, great pool and gym, and proximity to leisure centre, ten pin bowling and ice rink makes it ideal. Not the prettiest hotel, nor the prettiest surroundings but we got exactly what we were looking for. Family room was a decent size, clean, modern and, we believe, good value for money. My only gripe is that they didn't have shampoo / conditioner / soaps etc in the room - as I generally stay 5 star this may be normal - but as I hadn't packed anything, this was a bit of a hassle. Otherwise, did exactly what we needed it to do.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We were booked in a family room for an overnight in August 2012. The room itself was large and fully equipped but the decor was, well, odd. I'd like to describe the colour as brown but it was so dark in there I couldn't really tell. The alcove area where we were supposed to hang clothes was so dark that I couldn't even see the rail without getting almost to within an inch of it. I thought perhaps I'd missed a light switch but no, the housekeeping staff confirmed that the area was not lit at all. The bathroom was a bit grubby and, as has happened at a number of hotels recently, there were only two towels provided for four of us. That situation was quickly remedied but I don't see why I should have to call down to get this basic stuff sorted out. I won't be going back to De Vere Swindon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

On the friday night I got a deal in the 4 day sale, Dinner, bed and breakfast for £69. I have stayed before at this hotel before village did it up. Friendly girl on check in, gave us a quiet room, about half a mile away!!! I really struggled as I have a bad back ( which I did mention! ), but realised these must be the cheap deal rooms! On opening the door, the smell of urine hit me, that and the coldness. I called reception and within 5 minutes a lady from housekeeping came with an air freshner, I told her to look in toilet bowl and she went to get some cleaner and a brush! It was better after a clean. We were asked if we wanted to move, but my back was so bad I just wanted to have a relax in the jacuzzi. This I did, it was lovely and hot as was the steam room. I couldn't manage to swim so the jacuzzi was wonderful. The meal at night was fantastic, we even had a free glass of bubbly because there was a new menu. Wonderful girl, Kate I think, served us with excellent customer service. She could teach the breakfast staff a thing or two! The breakfast itself was the worst I have had in a long time. The bacon was inedible, so very dry, it made me gag! The black pudding likewise and the mushrooms - swimming in what looked like fat! Horrid. The orange juice, coffee, pastries and melon were all very good.
The second night I payed £20 extra to try the Upper Deck room, not sure it was worth it, some little bottles of hair shampoo/conditioner and shower gel. Some nice sachets of coffee/tea and choc and 2 biscotti. A large bottle of water and some vouchers we didn't use. The bed was just as comfy as the previous nights! The room is the SAME SIZE. There is a sky package, but we couldn't find anything we wanted to watch! So, all in all, not worth the extra money for us. I would have loved a bath robe, a bigger bed, double glazing or even a bigger room! I felt insulted by the note on the mug - as if I would steal a Starbucks mug!!! We had another lovely visit to the jacuzzi/steam room, can't fault it. The breakfast sunday morning was awful again tho ( and we were down at 8.05am to try and catch the bacon before it dried up too much!!! the waitress twice took our knives, took our toast before we had finished, so i had to ask for more! and even took our side plates when we needed them!! I felt we couldn't leave the table together or else our coffee might dissapear! Will I return? I probally won't be made welcome! but I am not being picky, I am just trying to tell it as I found it! I would like to hear from management but won't hold my breath!

Room Tip: Rooms are dark, read in the lounge Close bathroom at night if you don't want fan waking you
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jane R, Administrator at Village Hotel Swindon, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hello there,

Thanks for your honest review, we would like look into your comments further, would you be kind enough to email me your name and the dates stayed (and room numbers if you know them) and we will be in touch with you shortly. My email address is jane.knight@village-hotels.com.

Kind regards
Jane
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last year for one night, as we were visiting the swindon shopping outlet, which if you are keen on shopping is a place definetly to go as it is really massive.

About the hotel, the staff were good, asked for a room facing courtyard and was given the room on arrival. The room was not that big, but good enough size for a weekend. Room was clean and a typical de vere room, with the not so bright colours.

The leisure facilities were good, no complaints! Only downside was there was a function going on next to the leisure facilities, which is situated below the ground floor. Hence you could not walk in shorts from the room to the facilities and had to carry an entire bag.

Breakfast was a typical de vere hotel breakfast. Always like the breakfast. The staff did well as there were so many people to look after as there was a wedding function the night before. THe breakfast area did get full, so we were allocated seating in the village pub next to the dining hall. The dining hall was really nicely decorated as this at night is the bucca di peppo italian restaurant.

Just across the hotel within the same compound, is a pizza hut, a bowling alley plus other entertainment as well as a couple other restaurants. Although when we went to see the restaurants, they hardly had even a table occupied and decided not to have any meals there.
Instead we went to one of the best chinese restaurants in the uk, le rendevouz, strongly recommend this if you like chinese food!

Overall was a good stay with no problems, would recommend to anyone wanting to stay a weekend in swindon, as it was reasonalble value compared to the other few good hotels in swindon!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor with a view to the courtyard!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were attending the National Trust AGM in Swindon and wanted somewhere for an overnight stop. Being members of the Village Leisure Club in Bournemouth, and having stayed in a couple of other hotels in the group, we decided to give the Swindon hotel a try, and were not disappointed. It is an interesting, square design, built into the side of a slope up to some woodland and round a central garden area. From our welcome at Reception to the time we left nothing was too much trouble. We had booked an "Upper Deck" room, following some recent renovations, and it was well worth the small extra for a large room with comfortable seating, large screen TV and everything else you need in a hotel, and especially quiet at night. We sampled the swimming pool, which is slightly smaller than other Village hotels we have stayed in, but an interesting shape - like the rest of the hotel. We then went for dinner in the Italian restaurant and had an excellent meal, especially the Fritto Misto, which we shared as a starter. Breakfast the next day was the usual Continental and English buffet, but there was plenty of it and all fresh, enhanced by a comin chef. We shall certainly stay here again if in the area. Our only complaints were that having not packed toothpaste (an unusual ommission for us!) the reception could not supply us with any but referred us to a local ASDA store, there were also no instructions in the room for the complex air conditioning system, which we fortunately did not need!

Room Tip: Go for an Upper Deck - the extra is worth it!
1 Thank Peter C