“Few minor niggles, but overall a decent hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Swindon
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Few minor niggles, but overall a decent hotel”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

As a brand, I like Holiday Inn Express – they are perhaps my preferred hotel brand for business trips. Generally more comfortable and well maintained than their more budget competitors, but not pretentious. I feel relaxed when I stay at one. And this one is a fairly standard example of the brand.

I’ve stayed here a few times and have always been basically happy. It does however have a couple of niggles that are worth mentioning.

At night time, the hotel is well lit by a very bright orangey yellow light which can be a bit intrusive if you have a room on that side of the building and don’t get the curtains completely shut. There is also a massive, ominous looking electricity pylon passing through the car park which would spoil the view if there was one worth spoiling. However – this isn't a hotel you choose for its view; it’s one you choose for convenience.

The hotel is something of a victim of its own success. It is usually full (or very close to full) and its close proximity to the M4 seems to make it a particular favourite with “white-van man”. This means that parking can be a bit challenging if you don’t arrive early. I've never not been able to park, but I have had to circulate a few times and because of the high percentage of wide, white transits in the strangely shaped car park, some of the ‘gaps’ might be OK for a Smart car or 70’s vintage mini, but parking a modern saloon in them can be challenging…

The one real gripe I do have however, regards the restaurant area. The free breakfast at HIE hotels is always welcome and is very good, but at this hotel, it just feels like the restaurant area is too small. Every time I have come down for breakfast I have struggled to find a free table. For a hotel that must have a higher than average number of single occupancy rooms, there are very few small tables for one or two people. It would be really nice if the hotel would think about this a bit more and maybe split the tables for 4 up a bit. Also for reasons known only to this hotel, they don’t provide trays which means the tables are slower to be cleared and which makes it difficult to get your breakfast to a table (assuming you can find one). Suddenly, a nice, welcome breakfast has become an unnecessarily complicated activity.

If this sounds like a pretty negative review – it isn't meant to. These are all minor little niggles that don’t put me off using the place. The rooms are clean and tidy; the beds are comfortable. The staff are great. Overall it’s a nice place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
SwindonWestManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Hi and thank you for the review.
We recognise that it is the small things that can affect whether our guests return to us or not.
You are completely right that there are some mornings where there are no spaces and lots of single people sitting at tables of 4. We will be trialling a change in the layout over the next few weeks to give us more options and hopefully you can tell us if it works!

Andy and the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
Lancs
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We've stayed here before several years ago, so returned when we wanted to visit the area again. We arrived a bit early, but the duty manager sorted us a room within a few minutes. The room was basic, but spotless and the shower was excellent. Although near the M4, you could only just hear the traffic. We made a request to the General Manager, Andy, when we returned later in the evening for some sundry item and he personally sought them out and delivered them to our door. He also chatted to us (and others) at breakfast, not something that generally happens at busy hotels. The whole staff were friendly and helpful and made it their business to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Again not always the case at Business hotels.

As usual the doors made a noise when closing, but this is a general comment on HI Express Hotels

Would we return - most definitely when we are in the area again.

Room Tip: I suspect all rooms are pretty quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review.
As a team we aim to make all our guests feel welcome and valued and this should be seen from all of us. We love meeting guests, making their stay special and if we get recognised along the way then that is a bit of a bonus.
As for the banging doors please mention to the team the next time and we will get on the case to adjust the doors to ensure you get an undisturbed sleep.

Andy and the team
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We stayed here recently and were pleasantly surprised, we had a party to attend in the area and we could not have chosen a better location as our base. The only thing that I would say if that if you include sausages in the "free" (included) breakfast whats the difficulty with cooking bacon?
If that's the only niggle then HIE are obviously doing something right, and I would not hesitate to book here the next time we visit our friends who live locally.

Good morning,
Thank you for your comments.
It is a difficult thing to deliver a breakfast within the room rate that is appetising, tasty and with enough variety to please the majority of our guests and on the whole I think we manage to achieve this.
The "bacon question" comes up regularly and although we keep reviewing our offer it is unlikely that Holiday Inn Express as a brand will look to change this in the near future.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on company business with three other colleagues. The rooms were big, clean and comfortable. The staff were competent and professional. The evening food in the restaurant was really great! We were surprised, expecting basic food and getting really tasted meals.
One gripe is that the cooked breakfast was a bit limited, no bacon!! But for something "free" it's hard to complain at all :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jack G
SwindonWestManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Good morning,

Thanks for the review of our hotel.
We work hard to deliver a great experience for all our guests.

I am pleased you have recognised that what we do we do it well.
Our competitors may offer bacon or mushrooms for their breakfast offer, but is it worth another £8-9 per person on top of what we offer as part of the stay? (My question may be controversial, but we do believe that we provide a great value offer with excellent rooms, free wifi with no time restrictions as well as a substantial breakfast that sets you up for the day ahead)

Thank you again for the feedback and we hope to see you soon.

swansea
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Arriving at 1 in the morning, after a delayed flight, all I wanted was a quick check in and a comfy bed, which is exactly what I got. I had phoned ahead to say I would be late, so when I arrived the man on reception had my information and key card to hand. The room was comfy, and quiet, and it was nice to have a sofa in there too. The breakfast was good, I would have liked a bit more of choice with the hot food, but considering it was included in the price, it was fine. It was particularly good to see the manager going round at breakfast, clearing tables and actually chatting to guests. I noticed he was asking everyone he spoke to if everything was OK with their stay - makes a change being asked that part way through rather than just when you're checking out. Overall all the staff I met were excellent, polite, friendly and helpful. A couple of bugs - more to do with the chain than the hotel. When trying to find the phone number online to ring ahead, I could only find an 0871 number. Also it wasn't very clear from the booking confirmation email I received that I would be paying at the hotel - I had assumed my card was charged when I booked. That said, if I was in Swindon again I would definitely return here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
SwindonWestManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Thank you for you kind comments about the team (and me)
We want all our guests to have a great stay and it is so much easier trying to sort issues when they occur or when you don't feel pressured at check-out.
All of the team want to sort out any issues so please feel free to ask them (even the small stuff)
We do operate an 0871 number for the hotel (charged at 10p a minute from a landline) but if you want you can book with our central reservations team there is an 0800 number.
The bookings confirmation should clearly say if the room is payable in advance or if payment is due on arrival, but I will investigate to make sure we are clear in our confirmations.
Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Hykeham,Lincoln
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions whilst visiting friends in the area and have never been disappointed. The bedrooms and bed linen are spotless and are a credit to the cleaning staff. The check in was fine and all staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful and we found the staff quickly filled up when getting low. Although the hotel had two bus parties in when we were there the tables were cleared quickly and certainly caused us no worries. We had a slight problem whilst we were there and Leigh on the reception desk handled it swiftly and efficiently and couldn't have done more and we thank him for that and is a credit to the Hotel. We look forward to returning to the Hotel in the future especially if we can find some good rates and thank the staff. Well done.

Room Tip: near the motorway but even rooms on that side were quiet as the windows well glazed
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SwindonWestManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am pleased we consistently meet your expectations and it is great to see team members recognised for their customer service. (I can assure you this will not go unrewarded)

Suffolk
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We had a family room for three nights over the weekend. It was lovely and spacious and the beds were comfortable for both us and our girls.
Having breakfast included in the price is always a bonus and there's a nice selection of Continental and cooked items. However on each of the three mornings we found that stocks ran low or out before being replenished and whilst staff were visible, they seemed very busy clearing tables etc, so it wasn't always possible to catch their attention to show that items were running low or had run out, let alone ask if they had any trays for us to use.
Holiday Inn Express nationally is our current hotel of choice and this latest trip has not changed that view.

Stayed August 2014
SwindonWestManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Swindon West M4, Jct 16, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thanks for the review.
Although we are clearing tables and replenishing the breakfast, we are never too busy to speak to any guests, so please don't feel awkward asking us for anything.
I am pleased you had another great stay and thank you for staying with Holiday Inn Express.
See you soon