“Our first Nepalese and was impressed!”

Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Description: The first and still the only Nepalese restaurant in Swindon, it would be all too easy for the team at Gurkha Village to rest easy. However this fantastically friendly restaurant works tirelessly to maintain the reputation that it has quickly gained here in the town where it sits pretty as a real local favourite. Situated in the town���s Gorse Hill neighbourhood, Gurkha Village is worth the wander from the centre, providing a perfect combination of warm, relaxing atmosphere and deliciously exotic food. Designed with simplicity and comfort in mind, the dining room is fairly frill free, only touches of attractive art and greenery giving hints of the restaurant���s Himalayan heritage. Freshly cooked food is traditional and tempting, the menu offering both Indian style classics such as biryanis and tandoori dishes as well as intriguing Nepalese specials made to authentic home style recipes. A real selling point is Gurkha Village���s dedicated children���s menu which includes English and Indian options - ideal for family dining.
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We are used to Indian but gave Nepalese a try. Determined to try something different we asked what they would recommend and they were happy to adjust the dishes to suit. The food was very quick and very tasty and had a clean feeling to it. The special naan was very good too!

2  Thank Baz100uk
There are newer reviews for Gurkha Village Nepalese Restaurant

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I've always been intrigued by this restaurant but for some reason never given it a go until tonight.

I wish I'd gone sooner! It was fabulous. The food was fresh, hot, tasty, delicious. It was busy and we had a bit of a wait for our food but the waiters were pleasant and apologetic and it was WELL worth the wait.

We had a mixture of the restaurant's take on classic Indian dishes and Nepalese specialities and it was all far superior to anything else I've tried. The flavours were amazing.

The atmosphere was fantastic, I loved the candle holders, brass plates and decor and thoroughly enjoyed my date night with my hubby.

We were given money off vouchers for our next visit which we didn't need as would have gone back regardless. We paid £20 a head including wine and beer and walked out full and content :)

1  Thank JennzB
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Definitely a good alternative to the usual Indian flavours. We enjoyed trying some different dishes. Staff were pleasant and helpful. Good portions, we both had starters and main courses and could not eat it all. Sauce was slightly too salty for my liking so next time I will ask for this to be reduced.

2  Thank JanuaryLantern
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Without a doubt this is my favourite place to go for a curry. They pride themselves on providing a menu of authentic Nepalese dishes and the flavours are just incredible. If you're not feeling brave they do also offer the usual indian fayre but it is well worth trying something new. Particularly good for this is the option for a mixed starter to try a few different things. The staff are always so welcoming and friendly too. I had a party there a while back and they did everything they could to make it a really special event that all my guests still talk about almost 2 years on!

2  Thank sunflowerliz1
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have been twice recently and both times we couldn't fault the food or service. Different to normal Indian food which we feel can taste the same. Each dish has a distinctive flavour and is fresh. Service is great. They are attentive and knowledgable about what they are serving but not 'in your face'. House red wine is of good quality. Will definately visit again.