“excellent starters and the rest very good”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have been regular customers here for around 2 years and visit about every couple of months. We find there is a pleasant atmosphere and the decor a little tacky, but fun, clean and a nice place to eat. Although the staff are not chirpy smiley people the service is always efficient and the staff are friendly and well mannered. We have only ever had the 'all you can eat' food at early bird times and have not been disappointed yet. Food is selected from a menu that includes several of the main menu dishes and are freshly cooked to order. We have found that the starters and crispy duck with pancakes are excellent. They have always been served fresh and hot. Very tasty indeed! You can order more starters at any point during the meal, with no disapproval from staff, but crispy duck only once. If the review was just based on starters, then I would have given 5 stars. However, I feel that the mains are a little disappointing in comparison, still very good, hot, fresh, not greasy, but not excellent. I feel the choice of dishes available is quite limited, although the beef satay is excellent and served on a sizzling platter. We are so happy eating here that we haven't tried other Chinese restaurants in Swindon for fear of disappoint and wishing we had eaten here as usual. Overall very very good and we'll keep coming back.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We ordered delivery, they charged more than £6 for Chinese leaf, and £5 for Ma Po Tofu, but the dishes barely cover the bottom of take away boxes.

Feel deceived, can not trust them at all!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

So let's start from the very beginning, building doesn't look much from the outside, but inside it is decorated with a lovely oriental feel. We reserved a table the previous day and they were able to accommodate four of us with a "no problem, we look forward to meeting you" unlike Rendezvous who said "You can come but you only have two hours".

We were served very quickly with regards to drinks, I enjoyed a large Tiger Beer for £4.90. Once served our drinks, the waitress gave us some time to select what we would like for starters. She jotted all our orders and we waited around 15/20 minutes for food, whilst waiting we were given a basket of prawn crackers.

We started with the following: Sesame Prawn Toast, Smoked Chicken, Salt n Chilli Prawns, Chicken in a Satay Sauce (absolutely delicious), BBQ Ribs and Crispy Seaweed. All were delivered together on a huge serving platter dish. I thoroughly enjoyed the Satay Chicken, and the Prawns were lovely. Then you had to pick Duck or Lamb pancakes, unfortunately, you can only pick one, but this didn't put us off.

Our main courses: Beef with Green Peppers and a Black Bean Sauce, Lemon Chicken, Thai Chilli Chicken, King Prawns with Mushrooms, Sweet & Sour Fish, Egg Fried Rice, Chicken Noodles. I didn't find the Lemon Sauce for the Chicken watery at all, it was simply delicious. All the food was eaten and I think that pretty much says it all.

I found the service from waiters/waitresses fine, no problems. They always made sure we were enjoying the food and our drinks were topped up.

£15.95 all you can eat after 6:00pm or £12.50 (Bargain) before 6:00pm.

They do a normal menu which you could try if you didn't want to do All you can eat, but I found for £12.50 that this is ideal.

I will definitely visit again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I used to love this place and frequent it quite often.

I went again with my Dad on a Wednesday night, and the place was quiet which we wanted as other more popular places sometimes get to busy and can be annoying to try and speak and get the service you'd like.

we were seated straight away and asked for some drinks which we're brought over quickly then the waiting game began, we asked the waitress if we could order and our starters came out pretty quick but she forgot one part of the order which I had to ask again for.

The owner came over and asked us for more drinks which we asked for two more which never came so we had to ask the other lady who was serving us.

The duck was of good quality and there was lots of it we left some as there was too much.

The main courses we're slightly disappointing its a case of find the meat in the pile of veg but was all served hot and quickly.

Having pudding included was a nice touch as for me nothing tops a heavy Chinese off than some ice cream.

We arrived during the early bird special which proved to be very good value if you go for the all you can eat.

This place is very child friendly and decor is of a high standard.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

First time visit was recommended to us. We first sat down and gave our order for drinks to our waitress then a Chinese waitress came and asked us our drinks order! We gave our food order to our same waitress and five minutes later Chinese waitress asked us for our order. When we received our food it was generally amazing lemon chicken is a no no it's like a watered down lemon flavour. Abbeymeads rendezvous seems to be one that has it just right. We were short one dish and Chinese waitress came out with the order and almost told us we were lying but talked to original waitress and all sorted. It is freshly cooked food the pork char Sui was absolutely delicious. Is more expensive but worth it if you want fresh hot food. The rendezvous in corporation street is better food and better service and more up to date interior for less money.